The strange and wonderful Aristolochia grandiflora flower...

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello All.

Seeing the blooms of this cool Aristolochia every fall is a real treat. This is my first flower for 2007. The flower, from the top to the end of the "tail", is just over 14" long (the step you see in the picture is exactly 6" high). Especially up close, the flower smells very unpleasant. The bottom of the clothes hamper in a teenager's room comes to mind.

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Here is a side view of the flower. The "plumbing" in the back is very unusual.

I find it a challenge to get this vine through the winter indoors, but then very easy to grow in the garden over the summer.

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Those are amazing! I never had a clue these flower got so big!! If grown from seed do they bloom the first year?

X

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

yea!!!!!!!!! Erick. That is so cool looking. Do they bloom inside over winter for you???

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you X. From what I understand, A. grandiflora produces one of the largest flowers of any vine. I purchased my original plant from Logee's a few years and have been rooting cuttings ever since. So I'm sorry, but I don't have any experience growing them from seed.

Thank you Donna. This was my first Aristolochia, and remains near the top of my favorite list. I expect another couple dozen flowers yet in the next few weeks, some of them indoors. However, I find that this species declines rapidly indoors. I have a few new ideas to get mine through the coming winter. We'll see how they do.

Erick

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I lost mine too over winter and it was a big plant. Think I kept it to wet possibly. Hope I have better luck with the new one. it is growing great

I've found that keeping Dutchmans too wet, or adding too much fertilizer does them in fast.
Very low dose liquid fertilizer when the leaves look a bit punk, and watering when the pot is dry about three inches down.

These Dutchmans are growing on me...literally!

Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

eric, gorgeous!!!!! i had my first bloom on my first aristolochia about a month ago, but yours is much prettier and much much bigger.
here's my little baby.

Thumbnail by kudrick
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Are the flowers delicate and flimsy or sturdy and tough .. what do they feel like when you touch them? Have you seen any birds/insects flying into them for nectar?

X

Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

mine is delicate, with a soft, velvety texture. did not see any critters around it.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

kudrick, your bloom is gorgeous. Congratulations!

The flowers on the A. grandiflora are pretty sturdy, even a bit rubbery. I believe they are pollinated by flies.

Erick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.