Elephant Ear: Alocasia or Calocasia??

Algoa, TX(Zone 9a)

Can someone please help Identify this elephant ear for me? Will post another photo of the stalks. I need common name also.

TIA
BlueBonnet46

Thumbnail by BlueBonnet46
Algoa, TX(Zone 9a)

The leaves are shinny & the underneith is a purpleish color

Thumbnail by BlueBonnet46
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi BB! Welcome to the Tropical Gardening Forum, with all our many frustrations. It looks like you have a Wild Taro, or Giant Taro to me...this is sometimes referred to as an Alocasia and sometimes a Colocasia. I once read an excellent definition of the two, which went on to say that there are exceptions to every rule so the definition was at best - a guess. I would say the most common ee is an Alocasia. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I have on this subject will pop in here soon with a better explanation for you.

Algoa, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi islandshari....I know what you mean about the definitions between the 2....I was more confused after I read the definition than I was when I started. LOL

BB

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well, I just spent the last half an hour searching for that definition I had found once before, and wouldn't you know it...I can't find it. Well, I'm still hoping for someone else to pop in here and help out. Maybe we can both learn an easy definition. :-)

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha and welcome BlueBonnet, sorry I don't know a thing about EE's except they are all over the place here, haven't grown them myself. I wonder if Carol has her "ears" on, they must grow wonderfully in her jungle!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I haven't heard from her in days and days.....Can't remember her saying anything about another trip....hope everything is okay. I d-mailed her, and haven't heard back.

Red Oak, TX

BlueBonnet46,

That EE you have is an Alcoasia Plumbae 'Nigra', They are fairly large growers, and have beautiful foliage.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yeah! For some reason, I find it fitting that a Texan had a response more precise than that of us islanders. Thanks placenciarita!

Charleston, SC

As a general rule, alocacia leaf tips point up and colocasia leaf tips point down

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yep...except when they don't. :-)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

There IS an answer to that question on the TROPICALS forum...given by Brian Williams who grow aroids...if I can find it I will put up a link....

Carol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I knew I had seen it somewhere! Thanks Carol! Happy New Year, my dear friend!!

Yokwe,
Shari

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I've found most Alocasia's have leafs that shine almost plastic look, where Colocasia's have more of a matte or felt look.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.