Osprey Migration

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

This time of year, I am always amazed with the flight of the majestic Osprey. Other than the Bald Eagle, I get my most pleasure in photographing the Osprey, while nesting here in Maryland. Most Osprey have now departed here for points south. I have marveled, in particular, with the recent flight of one Osprey named Felix. On 9/16 he left his nest on Martha's Vineyard, just off the coast of Massachusetts. He flew out over the Atlantic non-stop for 31 hours landing in the Bahamas on 9/17, a flight of over 1000 miles. As of 9/25, he is in Central America .... ultimate destination unknown. For those interested in this incredible phenomenon, the following link provides much more information.

http://www.bioweb.uncc.edu/Bierregaard/migration1.htm

On September 9th, I photographed this Osprey. Sadly, she has now departed for destination unknown. Lacking a GPS tracking mechanism, I will never know where she will be "vacationing" nor if, in fact, she comes back to visit in the years ahead. Nonetheless, I will await the arrival of the Osprey next Spring. God's speed !!!!

Please take the time to review the referenced link. It is well worth your time.

Thumbnail by linthicum

A second photo ......

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another photo ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Fourth and final photo ....

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

Good to see you again Linth!

Beautiful shots!!!!! Pelle :-)

Northern, IN

Great to see you back, Linth!!

Your artistry with the camera humbles me.

Dave

Marlton, NJ

I saw a special a few weeks ago about Osprey juveniles that were tagged and they followed them all the way down to Cuba. From there they made a journey over 300 miles (non stop, all over ocean) to the final destination. The smaller female didn't quite make it but the male did and they filmed him there.

Awesome Creatures!!! :-)

Marlton, NJ

This is the one I saw the special on; his name is Jaws!!!

http://www.bioweb.uncc.edu/Bierregaard/guajira.htm

Wow I was way off on my numbers it was 470 miles nonstop!

This message was edited Sep 28, 2007 12:06 AM

Marlton, NJ

Linth, Thanks so much for posting the link!

I sure hope everyone takes a good look at the site as there is more information about the Ospreys and also Barred Owls,Barn Owls & Peregrines etc.

There are links on the left side of the page and at the bottom (Home Page) that will take you to even more sites concerning ornithology.

I spent a long time looking through it last night and was very impressed! Pelle :-)

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Linth, I've so missed your incredible photography - good to see you!

And the Osprey images are breathtaking. I will take time later to check out the link.

Dave, Pelle, Murmur ....... Thank you all for your kind comments.

Dave, this Osprey was the kind of "medicine" that I needed. It was like she flew into my "studio" and just sat there about 25 feet away, looking directly at me and then posing for some portrait shots.

Birding is a little slow right now and I have difficulty finding those migrating warblers hiding among the leaves. So, larger subjects are always welcome. Of course, Mockingbirds are everywhere right now !!!

Thumbnail by linthicum

Omigosh. I really can't come up with any appropriate words, Linth.

Marlton, NJ

Agree! The photos are outstanding!

Glad she happened along at just the right ime for you Linth!! :-)

Northern, IN

Just that you're back with us is good "medicine" for lots of folks....and DG.

Yup. I ditto that remark - tenfold! We really missed you, Linth.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Linthicum, a magnificent set of photos ! I'm envious. Those rare moments, when a beautiful bird poses for a picture up close, are an indescribable experience.

Gary

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
From there they made a journey over 300 miles (non stop, all over ocean) to the final destination

A little tricky to be certain on this, unless the transmitter was running continuously (usually, they're programmed to give a once-daily or twice-daily signal, to conserve limited battery power). While Ospreys can fly this far non-stop, they also regularly use ships as resting / feeding perches, stop off, catch a fish, and eat it on top of the ship's mast, before continuing their journey.

Resin

Brainerd, MN

These are gorgeous photos. I can't imagine a local Osprey stopping in to pose for anything. What fantastic luck!

Thank you all for your comments.

Gary, I am equally envious of some of your Alaskan shots especially the Bald Eagles. I am awaiting the arrival of more Bald Eagles here in Maryland for the winter months.

original_sybil, the more time one spends in the field the "luckier" they get !!! I learned that a long time ago while deer hunting.

Felix, mentioned in the opening comments, has crossed the Panama and is now on the Pacific side. Attached is the most recent map. Unfortunately, one other Osprey named Patience went down about 40 miles from land (near Panama). She apparently just ran out of energy. I recall reading somewhere where only 20% of first year Osprey chicks survive. That's sad ......

Thumbnail by linthicum
Melbourne, FL

Got this faraway shot of an Osprey this afternoon.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I did get a couple of Osprey pictures this summer. But nothing special. The problem was the distance to this nest, about 50 miles from my home. I intended to return when I had more time, but never found time for a second try.

I definitely have to agree with: "the more time one spends in the field the "luckier" they get !!!"

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

The Chesapeake Bay area has a lot of Osprey nesting sites. So, during their nesting season, I am but a few minutes from numerous Osprey nests. I just try to pick the right time of day so that the sun is behind me. Preferably, I like to capture them in flight, like this one since I have so many still shots.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

Gorgeous shot!!

Northern, IN

Great to see you getting out and about.

Good luck finding those migrating warblers.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Another great shot, Linthicum.

Linth, another fantastic photo!

Gardenpom, it may be a "faraway" shot, but still great!

Gary, your photos are always awesome as well.

For any Osprey enthusiasts, the following link highlights another historic recorded flight from Martha's Vineyard, leaving on 11/7 and arriving in Haiti on 11/10.

http://www.bioweb.uncc.edu/bierregaard/Maps07Fall/Luke-071113.htm

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

Thats amazing!

Melbourne, FL

I love watching the Osprey around here. What great birds!

Klamath River, CA

Fantastic Osprey pics. They are one of my favorite birds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.