September's Daily Weather 3, Shine on Harvest Moon

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

This is my 3rd try. I've lost 2 long post.
Come and post often
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Baking on a chilly day sounds kind of fun. My primary chore for today was to clean the downstairs bathroom. And you thought it was all glamour and excitement here in Hollywood Land. ;-)

Pleasant weather today.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on September 27, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
87 °F / 31 °C
Clear
Humidity: 21%
Dew Point: 43 °F / 6 °C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the South

The Virginia creeper is starting to turn. Santa Ana wind season will be starting any time now.

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sidney :-)

Kiska - that is an awesome photo of the glacier :-) Thanks - yes, nothing else to do in such weather but stay busy inside ;-) Finished baking the last cake today :-)

Selma Rún turns 9 tomorrow - I can't believe how fast she's growing up! (I say that every year - I'm constantly surprised about the fact that she turns one year older every year - you'd think by now I'd be used to it!! lol)

Sharon - it's a great thing you're doing - I really admire you for that :-) Something I don't think I'll ever have the energy to do .......... Hope you're friend will be ok.

It's really calmed down now - only 13 mph from the south, clearing up a bit and still 50°F at 10 pm!! I took Hildur Eva to the pool this afternoon - it was really nice :-)

Kelli - you totally ruined my image of life in Hollywood land ;-) lol I'm amazed by the fact that the leaves are turning and still it's really hot - I've always connected that with cold weather ;-) Is it the shortening daylight that's the trigger ?

Thumbnail by rannveig

Rann, your yard looks great! From what I've read, leaves change color in response to daylight more than in response to temperature. I would imagine that temperature is of some influence, though. It looks like the leaves in New England all turn color at the same time, but here, it is spread out over two months or more. The Virginia creeper is always first among the things in my yard.

This is Salvia greggii. It has really responded to the rain we got last week.

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

sugarweed ~~ glad you "got through" after a couple of tries:) Very pretty front walkway; the coleus are colorful there.
rann--love your garden, too..wow- 9 years old; funny, seems parents/gparents do have a harder time realizing this does happen every year:)
kelli - was the salvia greggii just waiting for rain? sure is pretty.
3:20pm, 47* sunny.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sidney: Wow! I love your coleus display there under the trees.
Rann: Wish Selma Run a Happy Birthday for us!
I don't even know how hot it was today. Very busy day. (Ain't it a shame how work gets in the way of life?)
Getting into the 60s tonight. Ahhhhh. Nice and cool.
Deb

Kiska, the Salvia greggii blooms all year but really slows down in hot weather.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Dyson – Did you ever get the intermittent light?!
Deb – I’m with you – tomorrow is supposed to be hot, but there is a cool down coming and I hope it’s bringing rain.
Rann – Thanks! I just love this brugmansia. I still don’t know the name. I’m going to post a pic on the ID Forum. The blooms have such soft pastel colors. I’m surprised with myself at how I’ve been compelled to help Judy with the raffle and bake sale. I guess it proves that when a friend needs help you just jump in and do what you can. There are a lot of things that I’m not that great at, but cooking and baking are my major strengths. LOL! Apparently yours too! I think you’d do what you could too to help a friend in need. I think we all would. Your garden is always so pretty and colorful. Please tell Selma Run We wish her a Happy Happy Birthday
Kiska – I’m glad you like the recipe! I have some more biscotti recipes that I’ll type up for you this weekend. I made these for the bake sale chocolate/espresso, walnut/white chocolate and macadamia/white chocolate. The kitchen smells so good! The glacier pictures are wonderful. The lake picture is gorgeous! Where is it?
Sidney – Your front lawn is beeeyouteeful! I see my baby’s parent plant in front! Could the brug be Cherokee?
Kelli- And all this time I thought you were a movie star that is going by an alias! LOL!!
I just had to wash the baking dishes & utensils by hand because the dinner dishes are in the dishwasher! I didn’t know that about the change in leaf color. Learn something new everyday! Your garden is very pretty and the salvia is so colorful. Actually the Salvia sounds like me – “blooms all year but really slows down in hot weather”!!!

78.1 °F / 25.6 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 67 °F / 20 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 80 °F / 27 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4200 ft / 1280 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Isolated showers and thunderstorms this evening...then isolated showers after midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows around 70. East winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the west after midnight. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Rann - thought you'd like this picture, the sun is shining through the center of the bloom.
I’m finished baking, now all I have to do is wrap and tag the biscotti’s. Whew!

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

This morning it was low 50s and heavy fog. Got into the low 80s this afternoon.

More of the same tomorrow with the morning low being 50*. Plus heavy fog again.

Close up of one of the beds by the Cafe at work.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Well it got light, and now it is dark again, made the dumpster run, and finished a project in the kitchen.

71°(F)

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 64%
Wind: 340° (NNW) at 16mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 29.94in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 66°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 91°F
Dew Point: 62°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: 7000ft
Heat Index: 75°
Wind Chill: 75°
6hr Precip: 0in
6hr Low Temp: 74°F
6hr High Temp: 87°F

Pepper - That looks like a peaceful spot by the cafe!
Dyson - You sure are staying busy. Sounds like you are giving the doctors a run for their money!

72.7 °F / 22.6 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 70 °F / 21 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Scattered showers in the morning...then scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs around 90. Northwest winds 5 mph shifting to the north in the afternoon. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Coastal Flood Watch in effect from Saturday morning through Monday evening...

I'm not really sure where this watch is coming from. There are low to no chances of rain for the next 4 days. Hmmm

I have 4 new buds!!

This message was edited Sep 28, 2007 6:04 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Thank you Debi and Sharon for the birthday wishes. We had to get up extra early this morning so Selma could open her presents before school :-) She got rollerblades from us that she was very happy with - now she just has to learn how to stand on the darn things ;-) lol

Sharon - gogeous bloom - I noticed Sidney's parent plant in her photo too :-) And 4 new buds ! Ofcourse there would be more - I keep forgetting that it's not the end of the season there ;-) lol

Sidney - very pretty coleus and brugs :-)

Kelli - Thanks. That would explain why some trees sometimes haven't turned color before they freeze ;-) You Salvia is gorgeous. I just don't know how anything lives there with so little rain - how often do you water your garden?

Kiska - thanks too :-) Very pretty pond - love that photo (like all the rest ;-) )

Pepper - very pretty :-)

Dyson - I'm so happy that your recovery is going so well :-)

It's finally "calm" and it's not raining - a very welcome change :-) It's cloudy, 55°F (!) and a breeze from the south at 13-17 mph. Sunrise was at 7:27 am and sunset will be at 7:09 pm.

Sorbus koehniana (common name in Icelandic is Copper Rowan) is turning all shades of copper yellow and red :-)

Have a great day!

Rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey, on Monday the doctor said I was cleared to put full weight on it - so I am just "stress" testing the new hardware.

66° (F) light and overcast.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 65%
Wind: 300° (WNW) at 9mph
Gusts: 16mph
Pressure: 30in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 65°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 87°F
Dew Point: 56°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 68°
Wind Chill: 68°
6hr Precip: 0in
6hr Low Temp: 67°F
6hr High Temp: 75°F

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin' Everybody! :D We had a trace of rain yesterday (was hoping for a little more). I guess some is better than none! :D The temp is 60* & expected to get to the low 70's! Yippee!!

Dyson, Glad that you are puttering around putting your weight into it! ;) When do you plan to work on the Shadow? Did you get any rain yesterday?
Rann, Your Copper Rowan is really showing color...Looks beautiful! I want to wish Selma Run a very, very Happy Birthday! :D (and I know that her mom will make sure that she does!) I wish her luck w/ the roller blades...
Sharon, your Brug looks prettier every time I see a pic! WOW! (I saved a pic) I would Love to come down & sample you "wares"! Yummm...I didn't know anything about Red Tide until I had it in Biol. So...I wouldn't even get close!
Thanks Kiska, Love the color at the lake/pond! Thanks. And I love the pic of the Piedmont Glacier! WOW! :D It is Massive! :-O
Pepper? What is that pretty purple?
Kelli, Your Salvia looks Great! Our Va. Creeper is turning, too...Fall is here.
Deb, I'll have to make a note of the Persian Shield for future reference! I Love the color.
Sidney, Love your front yard! Very Pretty! You have done a marvelous job! :D Are you feeling better?

Have a Great Day! Everybody! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning, everyone!

Happy birthday, Selma Rún!!! Rann, the Copper Rowan is beautiful.

Grammy Joey, JW is sooooo sweet! Kiss his little head for me. :-)

Sharon, Tropical Storm Karen is wandering around in the Atlantic. It doesn't look (so far) that it is going to be a very destructive storm, but I'm sure it'll make the surf kick up anyway.

It's going to be 90°ish and muggy again today.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (9 min ago)
Temperature 75 °F 24 °C
Dew Point 72 °F 22 °C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 30.07 in 1018.3 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir N 10°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 6 mi 9.7 km
Heat Index 79 °F 26 °C
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 71.1°F / 21.7°C

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

In case anyone missed it - Happy Birthday Joey!

On the Shadow - I've purchased a new fuel tank for it (430.00 w/ a good discount) to be installed, it will need a new battery and my mechanic will have to do some carb. work on it.
The front tire needs replaced and the rear is not far behind so both are scheduled before it goes back on the road, as money permits, time I seem to have plenty of right now.
It will be ready by spring (and I should be) even if I have to burn up the credit cards for the tires.

68° - sunny, bright blu skies, no longer overcast - Sharon, dance faster!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday, Joey!!! I hope you have a wonderful day, full of love, laughter, and baby snuggles. :-)

Happy Birthday Joey!! I hope your day is filled with sunshine and happiness and precious JW!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

6:30am ---- Happy Birthday Joey --- have a wonderful day..
dark, cloudy, 46*
Kiska

Lots of great pictures today.

Happy birthday, Selma Run! :-)

Rann, most of the parts of the yard that I take care of get watered once a week. For the things on soaker hoses, I let them run for 3 hours. I water the vegetable garden every other day in hot weather and about every third day the rest of the year. I run those sprinklers for 15 to 20 minutes. I think DH waters the grass every third day but I'm not sure. Grass keeps the yard from looking too hot and bleak, but otherwise I don't pay much attention to the grass. Watering the grass also waters the citrus trees but sometimes when it gets really hot, DH will give them supplementary water with the soaker hose. I have three Salvia greggii. Two are on the soaker hose system and one is in the vegetable garden. The one in the garden is much bigger than the other two and that is also the one of which I took the picture.

Cloudy, dark, and misty this morning. They are clouds from the ocean, not clouds that bring rain.

Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on September 28, 2007
62 °F / 17 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 55 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the South

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Happy Birthday Joey.
So glad the GB is home.
That's quite a birthday gift.
Sunny and still stiff back here.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 5a)

Happy birthday Joey :-) Hope you have a wonderful day :-)

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes - Selma Rún's very happy with her day. The birthday party will be on Sunday but I baked a small cake for her to have today ;-)

Kelli - soaker hoses sound like a good idea when you have to provide most of the water to your plants ;-)

Sidney - wow love those coleus! Hope you'll be feeling better soon! :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Afternoon everyone!
Joey! Hope you're having a very very happy day! And here's a great big "Awwww!" for the little one. I can send you some Persian Shield cuttings over the winter if you'd like?

Sharon: Maybe the flood watch is for high tide, since it's a full moon and all?

Rann: Can't wait to see a picture of Selma Run on her "blades". :)
Maryllyn: TS Karen can just go away! I'm sposed to be at the beach a week from now. No storms please!
Sidney: Sorry your back's achin'.

Beautiful day today (from what I could see). I did get out at lunch time and it was low 80s with a little breeze. Very nice.
Deb

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone! Great weather here today. It's currently 65 degrees with low humidity and a nice breeze, blue skies and gorgeous clouds. Highs in the mid-70's and sunshine are now forecast for the next 8 days. The leaves are turning and I'm heading out in a bit to look for a photo.

Happy birthday Joey!!!

Dyson, Sidney, continue to mend.

I would need to post at least twice every day to keep up with all the great photos posted in this thread. Great work everyone!

Photo........rural road at dusk..........taken last evening.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

One more photo..........farm land scene here in NW PA.

early_bloomer

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Great pictures everyone !
I've been working hard this week and I'm fine about the car radioCD. I figured out how it works and I even like to listen to the music,that's a relief !
It's been getting warmer and warmer,85 today and it looks like summer!
This is taken from my window.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

It stayed on the cool side all day.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on September 28, 2007
65 °F / 18 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 70%
Dew Point: 55 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s from the SSE

Happy birthday, Joey!!!

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn – WX said TS Karen isn’t going to develop into anything. Thank goodness!
“Over the tropics Karen is expected to stay over the open Atlantic for the next 5 days and weaken. Tropical cyclone #14 will stay near Africa. There are other areas we are watching, but nothing of any immediate threat to the First Coast. Meteorologist Tim Deegan”
Sidney – I hope your back is getting better. Are you taking anything for the pain? Your coleus (all of them) is so pretty.
Dyson – I’m still dancing!
Rann – I love the look of the white berries! Very different and pretty again the colorful leaves.
Deb – I’ve never heard them call for a flood watch during a full moon. Could be something new though!
E_B – Once again your pictures have captured me! You have quite a talent.
Adina – It looks like Fall to me with all the yellow leaves! Pretty picture.
Kelli – What kind of fish are those? Koi?

Taken last week

Thumbnail by MySharona

Forgot the weather!

82.2 °F / 27.9 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 59 °F / 15 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft / 1524 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the evening...then isolated showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows around 70 inland...in the lower 70s coast. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Wind Advisory in effect from 8 am to 8 PM EDT Saturday...
Coastal Flood Watch in effect from Saturday morning through Monday evening...

The fish are trout at the state hatchery not all that far from here. It's not pretty like Joey's place but it does the job. (The pictures were taken a couple years ago, not today.) You can see that the trout pools are surrounded by a fence and covered with netting.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is why.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL Kelli! Look at ALL those egrets! Wow.. Great series of pictures. :-)

That's great news, Sharon. :-)

E_B, your pictures are fantastic as usual.

Adina, that's pretty, too!

Kelli - You're cracking me up! Nothing like free food! I saw a great egret walking down the side of the road. I guess it was looking for lunch!

Marylyn - I agree...we want rain - no storms, etc....!

This message was edited Sep 28, 2007 7:46 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: A short way up the SC coast from here, where I grew up, our house was about a block from the marsh and a large bay. A couple of times a year, our yard would flood on the full moon. Didn't get very far inland, tho.

E_B: You really have an eye for the light. Great photos, as always.
Kelli: If I were a trout, I'd be nervous about the birds, netting or not! :)
Adina: Same temps here as where you are today. No fall color here, tho.

Dyson dark and 83. Low tonight 60.
Saturday, ptly cloudy and not as warm. High 81.
Not much chance of wet stuff.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Egrets,
I've had a few
But then again,
too few to mention.................. :-)

Photo from tonight..........farm land on the edge of town.

early_bloomer

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Joey, the purple is a butterfly bush.

Today it was a bit warmer. 60s this morning and no fog. Got into low to mid 80s.

(Zone 3b)

Dark; in the 40's, 9pm.
E_B; pretty funny:) Love the photos you've posted, what a pretty part of the country you live in.
Kelli~that's quite a sight and quite a lot of fish.
Deb - that's interesting how it would flood during a full moon where you used to live. The blossom is so pretty -
MySharona - surprises me at how often there is rain the forecast there..the thought of the different biscotti you've made sound wonderful.
rann - how nice to have made an "early" cake for Selma Run...and rollerblades, too..great fun for her I'm sure.
How are you sugarweed?
Dyson~glad you're doing much better and even the drs agree.
hi pepper and marylyn...
He's back~~~stayed all day and is still here tonight.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kisksa - awww, such a cute picture! I think he's adopted y'all! It's been forecasted, but we haven't had any rain for a week! We'll be watering the lawn today.

76.6 °F / 24 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 72 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h
Wind Gust: 4.9 mph / 7 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 75 °F / 24 °C
Clouds: Few 6000 ft / 1828 m

Coastal Flood Watch in effect from 8 am this morning through Monday evening...
Wind Advisory in effect from 10 am this morning to 8 PM this evening...
High surf advisory in effect from 8 PM this evening to 3 am Wednesday...

Today
Partly cloudy and becoming windy. Highs in the mid 80s. Northeast winds increasing to 20 mph inland...25 mph and gusty along the coast.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning All! It's sunny w/a temp of 50*. No rain on the map for many. many days....dancing needed...

Thanks everyone, for the birthday wishes! :D It was a Great day! I got roses & mums! and little JW! :D (and baby snuggles! :D)

Marylyn, I gave him a big smooch for ya! ;)
Kelli, I love those trout shots & the raceway is Huge! :-O I know that egrets can be deadly to trout. The blue herons here like to swoop under the netting. I have found fish swimming w/chunks taken out of them. I have since quit working at the Trout Lodge...can't do everything...but when I left they were having bear problems! Thank you for the pics! :D
E_B Great shots as always...it always amazes me that your scenery is much like here, yet about 7 hours away.
Sidney, I agree...it's the best birthday gift! :D I hope that your back mends soon! Take care.
Kiska, where's his momma? (yes, I'm worried about the little fella)
Rann, Those berries are really pretty & the leaf color compliments the color of the berries! Wow!

Have a Great Week End!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: I guess the little moose likes you. :)
Joey: Gladd you had a good B'day. Such a beautiful baby.

Seems like it's time for another raindancin' round. No rain here either. I was out watering this morning.
It was really pretty. Only about 60 when I got up.
Now 77 and very bright.
Low tonight's supposed to be 53! (Really, really low for this time of year.)

Gerbers are back now that the temps have come down a bit.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.