Help in repairing deck wood

Mount Juliet, TN(Zone 6b)

My deck wood has become very, very rough and will cause splinters if you slide your hand along the rail. The floor is in as bad a shape with the grain on the wood raised. I truly cannot afford to have the wood replaced, and am in a quandry as to what I can do to repair this. I have to wear shoes when on the deck and I cannot tell you the splinters have had to remove from my hands from holding onto the railings. I tried to sand it once but perhaps did not use the right sandpaper, and maybe I just got discouraged too quick :) My question is this: Is there any way to repair this damaged wood, perhaps by sanding? Is there a particular grade sandpaper I should use? And should I waterproof or seal the wood should I be able to repair it. I appreciate any help or information.

Sassy

Thumbnail by sassyfras
This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!