Pregnant women avoid papaya / cause an abortion

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Pregnant women should avoid ripe-green fruit because it has a contraceptive function that can also cause an abortion.

http://cookislands.bishopmuseum.org/species.asp?id=5878

While doing some research on growing papaya trees I found this bit of information. I sure did not know this! Did anyone else?

I've seen it at more than one sight! It was news to me.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Wow! We eat the green fruit all the time as a vegetable! No shortage of babies around here!

San Antonio, TX

On behalf of pregnant women,thanks Tx Gal for your concern and the heads up :)

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Likewise, I am from Singapore and my mum craved papayas during her pregnancies. I have 8 siblings!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Growing up in Liberia W. Africa we made "Papple Pie" with green Papayas....lacking the apples, we substituted green Papaya...(you couldn't tell the difference!)

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

RJUDDHARRISON, that is interesting. The Thais and Cambodians as part of their national cuisine, make sliced green papaya salad with hot chillies and fish sauce. Always something new to learn everyday here!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you for your responses!

I had never heard of it, then read about it twice in one day. I know there are certain other foods that should be restricted due to mercury.....so was interested to see what other people thought or had experienced.

Again....thanks!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You know in Liberia we also made a hot pepper sauce with green Papaya and mango...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...>!!!!!

It's making me hungry...might have to make some palm oil soup and pepper sauce this weekend!
Rj

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

RJ,
me think you should start a thread titled "Papaya Cuisine"! Now you got me curious...gonna 'google' on the foods of Liberia!
JB

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

heheh..I'll send you some sites

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

http://www.junglepi.com/products/red_palm.html
click recipes.

Also the Ghana website has some good recipes in there too.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I make a chicken and green papaya stew that everyone loves....now that I know of the possible dangers, I will be careful serving it to younger or pregnant women. Thanks for the info!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That is actually how I started growing the Papayas, My brother was visiting and we decided to make some Liberian Palm Soup, (chicken, greens, palmoil, papaya, peanuts and zezty hot pepepers...Actually Patouks makes a hot sauce with papaya that is delicious and fits the ticket for the meal. Anyway, I said to my bro, lets save these seeds and see if we can grow them...rest is history.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Ha Ha....you should name your trees after hot sauce and papaya dishes that you create!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

rj, are we to believe that the papaya has worked as a birth control agent for yourself?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Got to thinking.....that might "read" sarcastic.....meant it to be funny....there goes that voice inflection thing again. What I hear in my head doesn't come out the same in black and white. Did not mean to offend..so sorry...again.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks RJ for the link. Interestingly I've seen red palm kernels in Malaysia. How countries sharing the equatorial line could have the same produce/vegetation and flora.
Terima Kaseh!

Laie, HI

The local "worm lady" was saying recently not to put papaya seeds in your worm bin for recycling because the seeds stop the worms from reproducing too. So any body trying to get pregant might want to leave the cracked papaya seed salad dressings alone too. Aloha

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Good Heavens! I have some younger girlfriends that ought to have this info!

Selma, AL

Hey
I saw this, which sounds good -
"Red palm oil is free of cholesterol and trans-fatty acids. Rich source of phytonutrients such as beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, vitamin E tocotrienols, lycopene, which act as a super-antioxidant.These carotenoids are responsible for the striking red colour of the oil."
The site is at:
http://www.rainforestredpalmoil.com

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I love Red Palm oil. It has been maligned like eggs.

Atenas, Costa Rica

Green papaya fruits are popular here in Costa Rica. My mom prepares a dish called "picadillo de papaya": Papaya gree frnuits are chopped in small pieces then boil in a little bit of water plus condiments: culantro, onion, oregano and garlic and some kind of meat. In my case I use soy meat.
What I heard is that seeds of papaya have phytoestrogens.
By the way, papaya is my favorite fruits. When I was pregnant I ate ripen papaya very frequently.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, they make a pepper sauce that's similar, minus the meat and add hot peppers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.