Visiting the Northeast from the Northwest next week.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Tell me what your weather is like? How about the fall foliage? Is it turning pretty yet.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Jo - I don't actually live there. When are you coming this way to see Granny and me?

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I would say the last week of Sept and first 2 of Oct are the best ever - weather and color

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Go further north than me (central Connecticut coast) for foliage. Our traditional peak is the third week in October.

Maybe there is a map around of when various locations are best?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

We will be in Connecticut, one night, is Milford along the coast?

Al, we are going by train to Philadelphia and through Chicago. How far are you from Chicago?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think the abdominal snowDave lives near there.LOL

Chicago is still 4+ hours from here. The train ride sounds fun. Chicago is good for sightseeing. You can go on the ferris wheel.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Lenjo...yes...Milford is on the coast not far from me. Nothing is turning here yet except scattered trees which were stressed by lack of water. They do not have the vibrant colors.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Lenjo, where in the Northeast and when?? Those 2 things make a difference on where to go and what to see. However, here is a few links to the foliage in New England.
http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage/
http://www.newenglandtravelplanner.com/whentogo/climate/foliage_season.html

Hope you have a wonderful time and this is some help!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I was in Northern CT Saturday...barely a hint of fall color. It'll be two or more weeks at least.

Lenjo, If you are going to be in Milford, check out the Bistro Basque, a brand new restaurant which has gotten good notices.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I think the Weather Channel site, weather.com, has a foliage report.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey, Len, I can't help with foliage, but welcome to the NE, albeit temporarily. I'm not on the coast anyway (western NY), but nothing is turning here yet. I hear there are great roses in Wheatfield, NY, though LOL

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

It's been nice out here in the NE.. Our temps during the day is like sunny and warm upper 70's and a bit nippy at night like like high 40's.. Get occassional high and low bumps but that's about it.. We have some trees just starting to turn.. Like the tips of the outer leaves only.. But then, I live like an hour north of the big apple.. So, you're in Milford, that's on the coast so it's probably a bit more mild there.. But if you're in NEW Milford, that's like minutes from us, the temps there are probably like ours..

I'm in western NY and would say we are about 15% change in color - it goes way too fast

Well we are approaching Oct so that's probably normal, isn't it Deb?

yes its normal - just wish it lasted longer - its the best time of year

Totally agree!

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Milford is very close New Haven. (That's where the mall is...)
It has been summery (80+) here this week, but it's supposed to be cooler - highs in the 60s - next week. Scattered trees are turning. What night will you be in CT? What brings you to this side of the country?
I've never been to Oregon, but i was in Washington for about 10 days a couple years ago - it was really pretty. It didn't even rain in Seattle...

amy

Deering, NH(Zone 4b)

Try this link for fall foliage forcasts by differenct North Eastern areas.

http://www.wmur.com/ne-fall-colors/index.html

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

No leaves turning here, yet. Mid October is when we enjoy the colors in New England. Enjoy your trip.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

In Philadelphia now and we came through the Alleghany Mountains, no color but still beautiful. Off to NYC tomorrow. I will check in here when I can. This has been something already; all the things we have seen after a long train ride from Portland Oregon.

Al, we did come through Wisconsin on the train.

Joann

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That was you? I wondered who ran me over.LOL

Have a great time Jo.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Jo, We are having a little RU at Logees nursery in CT on Oct. 6. Any chance you could join us. Logees is a very interesting place.
I live pretty close to Milford. At least my town rhymes with it.
Dave
Al, Am I the abdominal dave?

Abdominal?? Wow, are you buff, Dave??

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Dave47 - you are not abdominal or abonimbal - you are Dave47 - how could you forget????

Maybe he's a bomb in a bull.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I liked the abdominal part.

How was the rest?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Lackluster

Thought you'd be a breast guy.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I like it all - even drumsticks.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Al, et al, I didn't start this.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #4014282
I think the abdominal snowDave lives near there.LOL

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I start everything Dave - it's my fault. **goes to room and locks door**

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Did you start the fire?

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

well, we didn't start the fire...

It was always burning...

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

wow - how has this devolved into billy joel lyrics?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Quoting:
it's my fault

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

o, right! i forgot...
; )

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I think we scared Lenjo out of visiting the NE

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hello all,

After 10,000 miles we are home sweet home today. I can't believe we did the 'whole thing'. This has been a trip of a lifetime. We did get to New Hampshire, Vermont, Quebec City, Montreal, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts.
We didn't start seeing really great fall color till New Hampshire, Vermont and north. It was stunning too and now we are seeing some color here at home. Franconia Notch was one of destinations in the NE.

Al, we did get through Wisconsin on the train.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.