more Aristolochias blooming

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

A. gigantea Brasiliansis

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

A. gigantea

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow , that is hugh! really cool. I love it. I have an aristolochias gigantea and it looks the same but the blooms on the first one are giant.
Linda

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Wow, Donna, amazing!

Erick

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

WOW!!!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

WOW indeed!

X

San Antonio, TX

Stupid question: Does the flower feel like it looks? Looks like it might feel a little thick but floppy.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

it does lol, kind of rubbery

Eupora, MS

Beautiful!

Carolyn

San Antonio, TX

I've often thought of buying one of these cuz it does look so "unusual" but the more I look at it the more it scares me :o

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

lol Anaid

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

I have one of these growing up a tree, about 15' now. What zones is it hardy in, I am in zone 8. I would like to just mulch if it could make the winter here.
Thanks,
DD

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I am not sure but planted mine it the ground facing south but under a canopy of trees for protection. DH just planted it there in spring. I am 8b

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I am in zone 9 and have one in a large pot outside year round. Last year we have weather in the high 20s for a couple of weeks, unusal weather for us, and it did just fine. It is sort of protected as its close to the house. Some minor leaf damage but that its. It is blooming right now also.
Linda

Thanks, I may take a chance with mine this winter. Had it about 2 years. That bloom is really a conversation piece.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Does anyone know how to propagate this plant? Can you start from cuttings? I have know idea about seeds.
Linda

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

the easiest way I know to root is to bring a stem back down to the ground and bury it in the dirt and mulch

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks I will give that a try.
Linda

*drops her wet dishes on the floor* WOW! what is that thang? pretty cool.

rebecca30

Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

I have had the gigantea in the ground for several years. I do not even mulch it anymore. It is on the north side of the house with no protection at all. I live in the country on a hill so we get all the winter winds. I used to root a few cuttings to keep in the g-house just in case. It has never produced any seedpods but it is rather easy to root.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

OKay, I am seriously impressed. Patsy b in Texas: so since it's on the north side, we are talking full shade? What sun expsoures do the rest of you have this amazing vine in? I'm ready to try it in N. GA.

It needs 5-6 hours of sun to really grow. Mine grew up a tree and had blooms on the outer branches 15 feet up. It looked like baloons got caught up in it. They are strange plants.
Good luck with yours.
DD

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

These are such cool plants. Mine is still blooming in the house, tho it is about 1/3 the normal size. I also have a seed pod on it. This is the first seed pod I've ever had and I was surprised to see it. Does anyone know how long it takes for one to mature?

Thumbnail by Brugie
Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

The ones I have on the north side of the house are several feet from the side of the house. There are some trees that are several feet on the other side of the arches they are on. They have reached out and grabbed the lower limbs and have grown to the top of the trees. I have two different types on the same arch. One is the gigantea and the other I bought on EBay that is suppose to be one as well. It is not. It looks the same except it is about half the size. It does set seed. I have seedlings that have come up from it in several places in the yard. (BTW they are rather easy to root.) I also have the gig. planted in two other places in the yard that receive more sun. They bloom better in the sun. Each year they get better.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much. If it's sun in Texas, it'll need sun here too. Do you know a good seed source for gigantea? Sounds like ebay wasn't one!

Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine has never seeded. The smaller one has. I have some cuttings in now. Will know in a few weeks if any took. If so maybe we can arrange a trade in the spring.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

with all the blooms I had none made seed pods for me either

Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

I have to correct myself. I found a seed pod on mine yesterday. Just wondering if I will find more when I clean up when the vine is killed from frost. I don't know if the pod I found will have good seed in it as it is still green. If it does or I find a mature pod when I take the vine down I will post the seed for trade. I would take the vine down now but it is still blooming. Looks so pretty as it is all mixed up with cypress vine, passie, and black eyed susan. Gonna be a mess to clean up but sure is pretty with all the blooms mixed up together.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow, you guys have seeds. Now I have to go check mine. Got my fingers crossed that I do.
Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.