Hollyhock issue - any ideas?

Fredericksburg, VA

My Hollyhocks didn't bloom this year, their first season. They grew very lush foliage al summer and then this happened about 2 weeks ago. Anyone else have issues with their Hollyhocks?

Thumbnail by mosbyone
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Hollyhocks are biennials which means that they won't bloom until their 2nd year. Some of them will behave as perennials and continue coming back for more than 2 years, but they still won't bloom in their first year. Mine always look ratty by this time of the year, they tend to get rust earlier in the summer, and then as they start to die back for the winter they'll generally look pretty ugly. So my thought is that's what's going on, chances are they'll be back looking nice next year and give you some blooms.

Fredericksburg, VA

Thanks very much, I learn something new here every day.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Mine look just like that - between the Japanese beetles and the rust that these plants get, they don't look great. But I think it's par for the course for Hollyhocks. Did yours get yellow spots on the leaves?

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/hollyhockrust/hollyhockrust.htm

Fredericksburg, VA

they have been ugly ever since the Japanese beetles hit. they looked like they were going to recover and then...NOT LOL

Brookside, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for raising the question, Mosbyone. Yours look very much like mine, some of which also have the rust. I will cut them off at ground level and hope next year is better. I knew they were biennials, so at least I wasn't looking for blooms this year.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

The should be fine next spring but make sure you clean up all the old leaves and throw them away, don't put them in your compost heap. Give them a good shot of fungicide in the spring when the re-emerge.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Is there any type of hollyhocks that are more resistant to pest and rust problems?
Thanks,
Teresa

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There are some that are supposedly more resistant, my only hollyhock is one that came with my house so I've never shopped for them, but if you do a google search for rust resistant hollyhock you should find some info. I don't think any of them are 100% rust proof, but at least they'll be less prone to it.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've even been removing the seedlings since no matter what I do they look awful at this time of year and rust runs rampant.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Just yesterday I bought The Well-Tended Perennial Garden by Tracy DiSabato-Aust. Here's what she says about hollyhock leaf care:

"Deadleafing is needed to remove yellowing leaves, starting in June, and leaves damaged by Japanese beetles or rust. Destroy rust-infested leaves. Cut out all old flowering stems and old basal leaves to expose clean basal foliage in late summer when flowering is completed. The plants look so horrendous by this time that such pruning can be a welcome relief. The new foliage holds up well in the winter and may remain semi-evergreen under consistent snow or in mild winters. Remove any winter-damaged leaves in spring."

Hope this helps!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.