ground turkey to replace ground beef

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hello, I wanted to share a way that I've trimmed our grocery budget. I've found ground white meat turkey frequently on sale for 99 cents for the 1 pound frozen chub, and have used it in place of lean ground beef that is running at least $2 or more a pound. It is very lean, so you may have to add a bit of water while it browns. I've substituted it in all of my ground beef recipes successfully. If you like the meat darker, add a few drops of Kitchen Bouquet, and you may need to add just a bit more seasonings.

My family actually likes it better. I did the switch gradually, mixing 50/50 at first.

Be sure to buy the white meat if you worry about fat/calories. The dark ground turkey is often even cheaper, but we don't like the texture.

Cathy

This thread has 16 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!