Growing Pachypodium densiflorum

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Hello all,

I read some of your posts and I saw most of you mention about this particular ebay seller, african-plants. I went to check what this seller has ( I shouldn't have done that.... ) and fall in love with one of the Pachypodium densiflorum. It is so cute. Almost try to bid on that one if it wasn't that expensive. Now I'm curious about where I can get some that are cheaper. And does anybody ever grow this plant from seed? How difficult is it to grow this plant from seed? If it is not hard to grow it from seed then buying the seeds could be a cheaper alternative for me to grow this plant. Does this plant have almost the same requirements as adenium? This is a new plant to me so I don't really know anything about it. And by the way, senlarrs won the auction for that cute Pachypodium densiflorum, hehehe :) Congrats :)

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Wow, yes, I did and that is my first densiflorum. SallyD maybe able to help you with growing requirements. I intend to grow it like most of my succulents, not like the adenium(s)! Now, this info is subject to change. lol

8)
Larry

This message was edited Sep 24, 2007 7:05 AM

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am growing a P. densiflorum for several years now. It is planted into a shallow pot with very little soil, mostly into coarse sand for good drainage - I keep it all Summer outside and that way it doesn't rot if it rains too much. ( This year was great, lots of sun, no prolonged wet spell) I brought it now inside, it sits in full sun and will drop its leaves soon. At that point I reduce water and let it go dormant. (I still spray a little water once in a while) Comes Spring - around early March - it will wake up and start producing long spikes with clusters of yellow flowers. At the end of its flowering cycle it will start leafing out again. That is the season. Btw I keep the P. densiflorum, horombense and baronii ( Madagascar Pachys) the same way. Minimum temp in Winter 60 degr. F and full sun year around.

edited to add Madagascar P.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2007 12:52 PM

Yardley, PA

Hi, also the densiflorum, horombense and the brevicaule really like a low ph. 3.5-4.5. I give mine a small amount of water in the winter just to keep the roots. I also keep them warm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.