Butterfly Bushes

Johnston, RI

Is it too late to plant a butterfly bush in zone 6? Does it depend on the type of butterfly bush or they all grouped together? I do have one in my side garden and would love to plant one in my backyard.
Thanks for your help

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Newly purchased plant, yes! Fall is for planting.

Edited to say, welcome to DG!

This message was edited Sep 23, 2007 12:50 PM

Johnston, RI

Thanks. It would be a newly purchased plant.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes - I completely agree with Pirl. I sometimes feel like a voice in the wilderness preaching Fall planting. I have planted / moved perennials and shrubs into November with no problems. With transplants the major concern is getting enough of the root ball. When planted in the Fall, plants get two growing seasons before dealing with the stress of Summer.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love doing all my planting in the fall.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I agree with everyone else, fall is the best time to transplant and plant shrubs and trees. Established and perennials with large root balls also will be fine. Small perennials and end of season cut-price perennials that have been long ago root bound at the garden centers are more iffy, but sometimes the low price makes taking a chance reasonable. Even moisture for the plant or shrub I think is the key for success.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Hi Flowergirlgarde

I have two butterfly bushes which I ordered from bluestone perennials and they have done very well! The butterflies seem to ignore my white buddleia(davidii white feather) but absolutely love the black knight! I agree this would be a fine time to plant. Sue ☺

Thumbnail by saanansandy

The butterfly bushes that we move in our gardens are those who have a 99% failure rate but purchased from nurseries they should do quite well.

I've had 'Black Knight' and it was a favorite for butterflies. Now the dahlias are the favored spots for them.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

That worries me Pirl! Where I planted my butterfly bushes we put in green giant arborvita(about 3 feet away) don't ask what we were thinking! They are located on the southside of the aborvitia. I was planning on moving them this week. Any advice on the 1% that did make it? Or should I just leave them? I should be able to enjoy them for a couple more years.

How recently did you plant the BB's? During the last few months?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

"Fall is for planting!" So go for it! I do a lot of planting and moving of plants in the fall. I have the next 2 weeks off so I'll be outside moving stuff, planting stuff, cleaning up for the winter, etc. I LOVE IT!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Just a word of warning--be sure to deadhead the fading blooms next year. I planted three BB's a few years ago and eventually had to yank them all out because of all the unwanted volunteers they generated in beds as far as 50 feet away.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

This is great BB info. We are planning a Butterfly/Fairy garden for next season. I am noting all that everyone is saying here about the BB.

Let me add my welcome, too!!!

I second Don's warning in a big way. Some varieties seem to be worse offenders than others, but I am finding them everywhere now. Please avoid 'Bicolor', though it is beautiful.

I'm now up to 14 removed and what wasn't chipped went to the dump. The seedlings go on and on. We must remove at least 1,000 little seedlings each year due to the self-seeding.

Yes, though I've always loved the clouds of butterflies (and bees) that they attract, I now think they're not worth it. There are other plants to attract butterflies.

Dahlias and butterflies are meant for each other. There are times that five and six butterflies will be on the same plant.

Thumbnail by pirl

Nice shot Pirl. Maybe I'll have to suck it up and try some Dahlias. I would really prefer singles though.

Try Red Hawk Dahlias. With prices from $1.00 to $3.00 you won't even have to face digging them up in the fall or any of the hassle of holding them over winter. They're cheaper than annuals.

Thanks. I heard Bigcity Dahlias has a good selection too!

It's also a great way to spend a snowy day - looking at dahlias online.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I have m mixed butterfly bush seeds that I purchased - has anyone actually tried growing them from seed?

This message was edited Oct 2, 2007 11:23 AM

Purchased seed? That's how come we had so many - every single one germinated.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well - I will end up with a bunch in different colours - I will then give them to my neighbours with instructions for care - the butterflies will be thrilled :-)

Your neighbors will get them whether they want them or not, in all likelihood.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

heheheheh

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Hi all!
I asked Ralph Snodsmith how to transplant buddleia and this was his reply:
"I would transplant and prune them back at the same time, but in spring after the last heavy frost. I use Organica's Plant Growth Activator Plus, a soil bio-stimulant at the time of transplanting. Follow the label directions."
Hope this helps everyone. Thanks Pirl for the tip on asking Ralph.
Sue

Great! That means April for most of us in the northeast. I'm glad he helped, Sue.

And, thank you for asking him, Sue

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

RALPH RULES!

I love Ralph. He's never failed me and has such patience!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I'm excited to see how they come out! I'll keep everyone updated!

Sue
Don't forget to take lots of photos. We're excited, too!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Will do!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.