whats up with my sambucus ?

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I have a sambucus nigra that is so sprawling it don't know what to do with it . I thought that it would be tall but so far (three years ) it has only grown out! does any one else have this problem? should I prune it to the ground? by the way only a few flowers on it
laura

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Is it getting enough sun?? If so, I would cut it back - not sure about all the way.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

My Black Lace sure has grown sideways expanding it's territory. I'm sure I will cut it back hard in the spring to help control.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

I'm disappointed with Black Lace.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed - it's a nice foliage plant and hardier than japanese maples for here. All of the ones I have seen are very weeping.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I have black lace to and it is also a little more weepy than I thought it would be but the nigra is sprawling all over my vitex I have to move it . I think I will plant it up in front of a border instead of in the back. from the height description I thought it would be a nice tall dark and handsome back drop but instead it is sort of slithering around do you guys think I could get away with moving it now ?
laura

Yes.

My Black Lace is slower growing than I anticipated and is more horizontal, as you guys have said.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

My butterfly bush is growing sideways too. It must be gravity or something.

Must be our area Harper!

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

i don't know, my butter fly bushes are kinda sideways too but i don't live in ny. come to think of it they two of them do sort of have the same growth habit don't they? are they related? I have decided to move the sambucus I am going to try to grow it up against my deck and not plant anything in front of it so it can cascade out on to the patio ( when we build it) I really love the foliage it is a nice deep maroon to black, very pretty
laura

My BB's have grown fine this year - not sideways.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Laura - I don't really know about your transplanting question, but my guess is they would be fine to move in the fall. I think plants that don't transplant well in the fall are ones that don't like being wet or overwatered and sambucus are near wetland plants.

Why would that be Al, unless you're moving it to a low lying, worse drainage area?? I've moved plants that require good drainage in the Fall.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

The ones I have always heard of are buddelia,rhodies/azalea and hydrangea. The later 2 are prone to root diseases that I think are worsened by late season watering.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

well today is the day! I am going to move the sambucus despite the predicted high temps .I gave it a good hair cut the other day to get it to a managable size even though it was not tall it was at least 8 feet wide. I am going to see if I can prune it for height in the spring . I will cut off all but upward facing branches and see if it can take a hint
laura
thanks for the moral support

Good luck Laura. As you know it will want a good drink of water.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

My Black Lace has also been disappointing. The water shortage has not helped afraid. Good luck with your move.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I planted a Black Lace last fall which served as deer breakfast this spring. It survived, but no flowers, only 2 ft tall and a little lopsided.
P.S. It now has a wire cage over it.

I don't think mine was munched by deer. Just has remained low and spread a bit, and no flowers yet. Disappointed. It was so highly touted. An alternative to JM's for the northern people. Doesn't come close to a nice JM.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I made the move and it was a real wrestling match . the poor thing looks awful but I think it will be ok. My vitex it happy to have this horticutural monkey off it's back too. I had seen sambucus growing at a clients house and it was magnificent that is what prompted me to get one .I don't know the cultivar hers was but it had green leaves and I saw it in full bloom . when I went to get one i was attracted to the dark foliage so I got thia one . The following year I got the lacey one . last year my sister ( oceangirl) and I were complaing about the growth habit of this plant and we decided to experiment she pruned hers hard in the spring and I left mine alone. mine of course sprawled all over the place like a teenage boy on a couch ( I have three sons) : ) and she reported that hers did the same . I thought it was imaturity ( also like a teenage boy) so I was going to give it a little more time but this summer it was really crowding my vitex , a plant that is marginaly hardy here . The vitex is doing so well I had to move the sambucus. I am rambling now so I will go and keep you posted
laura

Three sons will also cause rambling! Good luck with the new location.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Yeah, Laura. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.