CLOSED: New Bird - Please Identify

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

We have a new bird in the area, actually 4 of them. Not real sure what they are, but they just showed up this morning. Sorry for the bad pictures, but I took them from a distance.

They seem to like to run and chase each other and they peck at the seeds to open them instead of just eating them.

Thumbnail by irishsoul

Here is a picture of them from the back.

Thumbnail by irishsoul
Melbourne, FL

Looks like a Brown Thrasher.

I suspected, but wasn't really sure. Thank you for your response.

Melbourne, FL

You're welcome. They are lovely birds, wish I saw them more often.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Agree with Brown Thrasher

Resin

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

As a kid in Maryland, I used to see these everyday. I've heard them a few times since, but haven't seen one in fifteen years. They're one of the best song birds! I miss them a lot.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Being ground-feeding birds, they're at high risk from predators like cats - give them safe cat-free feeding areas, and areas of dense thorny scrub / ground cover that they can hide and nest in.

Resin

We have a 6' fence all the way around the property, so it is very protected. Once a cat jumped/climbed over the fence and the Mocking Birds pecked the heck out of it. Haven't seen that cat since.

You are so right about their song. They started about 6:30 AM today, what a wonderful way to wake up.

Marlton, NJ

Congratulations on the new bird irishsoul!!

We should be seeing more and more now since it is fall. I'll post when I spot them.

Thumbnail by irishsoul
Melbourne, FL

I'm awaiting the time also when I can sit outside in cooler weather and watch the birds. It has been a LONG, HOT summer! A couple more weeks and we should start having nicer days.

Not long now, thank goodness. It is lovely when it gets into the 70's

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

They come here to nest, so we were able to enjoy 2 pair this summer. Their stay here is way to short!!

I hope they stay for a long time. Their song is beautiful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.