Could it be a variagated adenium?

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi,
Does anybody ever grow any variagated adenium from seeds? I sow about 250 adenium seeds a week ago and many have sprouted. Yesterday I found one that seem to be so pale, almost as white as the paper, but yesterday I just thought that after it get a little bit of sunlight it will turn green just like the other. Today I checked and it is still as white as yesterday and found 2 more of this white ones. Could it be a variagated adenium? (I really hope so....). These 250 seeds are not taken from any variagated adenium plants, these are the cheap pink seeds that most people grow only for the caudex. Here is the picture, you can see how pale the one on the front left is compared to the other 3.

Thumbnail by seraphine
Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Its way too soon to tell
When they have 4 leaves is a better time to guess.
White seedlings usually die.
I have a few that have lived and taken on a different hue of green
Kind of peachy actually.
Good luck!!

I thought it might die later , it just seem to be so pale & doesn't have enough Chlorophyll. I just kind of surprise to find something like that. I have a few hundred seedlings but it never happen before.

I see them about 1/100 with plumeria.
If it makes it to its first set of leaves it may live.
I feed them a weak fertilizer mix and keeep them in filtered but bright light.
They can live if you pamper them like crazy.
A good portion of whites die anyway
However with 3 you may get 1 to live
I think they make interesting conversation pieces.

Well.....all 3 already have 2 leaves and the first one seem to get bigger compared to yesterday...but ..well...I guess I should just wait, pamper them (some plants are so lucky!!!, lol:)) , hope for the best and see what will happen :)

Largo, FL

Seraphine,
I had an adenium seedling like yours in a group I planted almost two years ago. It got its first set of true leaves and took on the same type of peach colored hue that Malestrom mentioned. Unfortunately it only lasted about six weeks. Hopefully, out of three, one of yours will survive. Keep us posted.

Robin

Hi all,

Today I notice that 2 of them turn slightly pink or maybe peach....kind of cute. One stays white. Pretty interesting. I will keep you all informed about what happen to these 3 seedlings. Hopefully at least one will survive.

If the white one makes it to about 1.5 inches it can be grafted into another caudex.
I have done mini grafts and the seedlings graft well.

Hello,

I took some more pictures of the white seedlings. All 3 are still growing, they do get bigger but I do notice that they grow a lot slower than the normal seedlings.

Thumbnail by seraphine

more pics....

Thumbnail by seraphine

last one

Thumbnail by seraphine
Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

seraphine, this thread was started about 3 1/2 months ago. I wondered what ever happened to the white seedings?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.