Disease or normal discoloration on lamium

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

This is lamium galeobdolon 'Hermann's Pride'. It did fine in spring and early summer but in mid summer it developed this red coloration. Did the same this time last year. Is this something normal or is it some sort of disease? Thanks!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you fertilize it? I think low phosphorus levels will make leaves turn a bit purplish sometimes, maybe that's what's happening. Or I've seen some of my plants get a bit reddish from sun exposure. It doesn't look like a fungus or disease to me.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

If it is low phosphorus, that would make sense because I've never fertilized it (which could also explain its puny size). It gets very little sun, so that's unlikely, I think. Thanks, ecrane!
Deb

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I have it in both shade and full sun. Mine does the same as yours. except that the ones in the shade stay greener than the ones in the sun. Actually the ones in the sun are gone by this time of the year. Looked like they died. but in the spring they pop back up.

Not too sure if that is what they are suppose to do either ?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Jenbrink:
Based on Ecrane's answer, I did give mine a touch of fertilizer, to see if it will help. Do yours ever get really big? Mine - besides turning this odd color - also never get very large.
Deb

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Happy Birthday Deb!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.