Goji berries

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

I was going to ask whether anyone had grown these as T & M is advertising them and I've seen them in lots of health articles as being wonder fruits. I've just looked them up on Google and found out they are also called Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree and guess what - I've had some for years. We found a plant growing in a hedgerow near Doncaster and I took a couple of cuttings and I must admit they are still in the plant pots that I started them off in, so haven't grown significantly.

Nevertheless, they flower every year, small purple flowers on arching greyish leaved stems and look quite pretty. I've never seen any fruit on them, but am going to the greenhouse now to re-pot them and see what they do with a little TLC.

Has anyone else grown them, or tasted the fruits?

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Hi Pat, drdon had a thread on these, I dug it up for you, there might be something you can glean from it as he knows a lot about these and other health plants.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/493793/

I just realised I got some Lycium seeds from Chilternseeds but they can't have grown or I haven't sown them! It was L. chinense or 'barbatum' which I wrote next to it in the catalogue, I don't know if it has health giving properties. He has written 'barbarum', could be the same thing or closely related.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with plants in pots for years!

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Hi Janet, It was interesting to read other people's experience of growing this. The Wickepedia listing about Wolfberry, Goji berry - Lycium barbarum also has lots of good information, although one or two things disagree with the postings in DG.

I've re-potted mine, (they still have the Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree labels in), this afternoon and hope they will be happier. I noticed that they are sensitive to over-watering according to drdon, and I must say mine have struggled along on quite a bit of neglect - certainly not over watering. I'm terrible with things in pots. I have been making a special effort this year to remember to feed them occasionally and to plant them out before they are totally pot-bound, but I'm always taking cuttings and sowing seeds without having anywhere to put the resulting plants. I have made myself a rule that if I buy a plant I have to plant it in the garden in less than a month. I'll have to set deadlines for all the cuttings too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.