Flat Garden beds

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I loved my gardens this spring and summer but now they are look flat to me, like they need some dimension. Are your beds flat or do you have dimension? I was thinking of mounding the beds like a berm. What does everybody else out there do?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I love flat for maintenance and ease. Height and dimension are added with the plants. What are in the ones that look flat?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

All of mine are raised beds (like a berm). I have such awful clay and rocks, I had a landscaper come in and build the beds up with better soil. Of course, if you dig down to plant anything you run right into the clay again and have to dig it out and amend.

I think you can also add dimension by varying your plants. What kinds of things do you have in your beds? Do you have shrubs (conifers or some native shrubs perhaps) as backbone behind your perennials and annuals? Also hardscape like boulders, fountains, benches, statuary, etc.

here's a collage of the 'bones' of my Fairy Garden before anything was blooming. you can do the same thing on a smaller scale even with borders

Thumbnail by grampapa
Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I have Dwarf Alberta Spruce, New England Asters, Iris, Temple Bell Shrub, Coral Bells, Bellis, Crazy Daisy, Hosta, Creeping Thyme, Black Eyed Susans, Antique Roses, to name a few (I'm at work and can't remember them all ;)

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

We have mostly 'flat' gardens, or rather, sloped ones. They follow the natural curve of our land. We have lots of highs and lows created by the plantings. Of course, everything will look pretty much the same after this weekend when we cut things down and cut things back.

Some we do leave for winter interest.

But, the project after next will be the back hill!! that will be terraced (we sincerely hope!!) and will be a very major project. It might take a whole season just to dig it and terrace it.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Berms are good for adding interest if your terrain is all very flat and adds good drainage too. You can add dimension by using different heights of plants like every one has said or just mounding the center a little will make a difference, also avoiding straight lines for the shape of beds. If it is a new bed you should maybe wait to see the size of mature plants before deciding its too flat. Good luck with your planning.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I agree with Eleanor on a number of points. Berms are nice - especially if drainage is an issue. But more important is to choose plants of different heights and, probably more importantly, using shrubs, evergreens and structures. When you stick to mostly or solely perennials, you're definitely going to have periods where there are going to be holes where plants have finished or have been cut back. This will put the spotlight on the flatness.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Victor who are you talking about? I'm Eleanor and I haven't said anything yet - at least about berms. Is there another Eleanor on this forum? If there is I need to know about it cause there aren't very many of us in this world and it would be nice to know another one once in my lifetime!!! How's that for a run on sentence? I'm the one who has a new garden on a slope and would like it FLAT to avoid sliding down it!!!! I'm just picking on you victor!! Eleanor

Oops!! Back to my old mistake - Gram vs. Grammy. Sorry!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Maybe instead of changing Dave's name all the time I should just change mine to Eleanor II LOL But at least Victor agrees with me :0)

gram ~ a girl ~ aka JAN aka NOT Eleanor

ps how about some pics of the beds in question?

This message was edited Sep 21, 2007 6:39 AM

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

I have French Intensive, or double dug, raised beds. A foot narrow than normal and futher apart. Absolutely terrific. But then I grow vegetables in them, looks don't matter (they are, however, in their own way, beautiful. And, without using mulch, I've had to do no weeding).

Maybe we should all go by the same name - all be Eleanor, even Dave!! Then Victor wouldn't get us mixed up!! the real Eleanor
2 days to go - I should start packing soon. Do you think I'm excited? Guess what I'll be like after riding in a car with a daughter that my father called "crash" from Glens Falls, NY to Woods Hole, Mass? That's why I looked so relieved on the ferry last year - I was still alive!! She has a lead foot and a get out of my way I'm coming through driving style (she really can handle a car well but scares me to death and the other DD I won't even ride with cause she can't focus long enough to drive 10 feet). I prefer driving myself but can't stay awake any more - what's an old lady of 58 to do? How did I end up here from victor can't remember names????

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

Have fun Jan! (Hee hee)

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

So jealous of your wonderful trip. Looks like you will have good weather at least to start. Have a great time, take pics!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Take LOTS of pics!!
Safe travels!!

Thanks - my camera is on the packing list along with my batteries and charger. (wish I could take my computer) The weather is supposed to be good through Tuesday at least, Wednesday is rain, and the rest of the week the different weather services differ on their forecasts so it will be a surprise!! Jan : ^)
ps I think the real Jan should come also!!

Enjoy every minute! Hope the weather is fine.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

oh, goody, I'm going on a trip ;0) Eleanor, we're even the same age! maybe we're twins separated at birth. I know you'll have a great time, because I would if I were going (chuckle)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Regarding flat gardens - my fragrance garden is mostly flat with sweeping curves to add dimention - but in the far corner of the lot we did build up the soil (well, there was no place else to put the extra dirt). That has turned out rather fine for plants that require extra-good drainage.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.