DAILY PICS. VOL 21

Marlton, NJ

Hi Debin, I remember from past threads that folks said feeding squirrels did not help with them raiding bird feeders.

I think we're all going to have a little different experiences in our yards; especially considering the different numbers of squirrels we get.

Before I got everything squirrel proofed I would see up to 25 squirrels a day in my yard now the most I see is 5 and even thats not very often. :-)

Melbourne, FL

I think I enjoy watching the squirrels as much as I do the birds. This one took a shortcut over the roof of my house and ended up in a palm tree above my head. I quickly threw a few peanuts up onto the roof for her.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

Looks like she struck a pose for you! Very Cute!

They definitely are fun to watch at times.

Marlton, NJ

Woohoo! Just saw the first Mockingbird in my yard in a long time!

Love the Mockers!!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I really do like the little squirrely guys; just wish they wouldn't go through so much bird seed. Oh well. The are good entertainment. I did get a new squirrel "resistant" feeder this week. Very popular with the titmice, chicadees, and nuthatches so far.
For example...
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Klamath River, CA

Floating down the Klamath River.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Nice feeder and pic Debin! Love that Tuti!

Nice pic adel!

Marlton, NJ

Mr. Cardinal just after having a drink.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

Pelletory, I have lots of little green frogs to sit on you bird bath - want some? they sing beautifully, and sit in plant leaves a lot.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow! I'm playing catch-up again (what's new?) and just thoroughly enjoying the photos!!! One of these days I hope to post something, too, but haven't done much lately. Sure did love all of these!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Floating down the Klamath River

Juvenile Goosander (a.k.a. Common Merganser)

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Just watched the special "Winged Migration" on Animal Planet tonight!

Such great footage shot over 3 years on all seven continents!

They'll be showing it again next month so for anyone who hasn't seen it and would like to; heres the schedule:
http://animal.discovery.com/tv-schedules/special.html?paid=15.5437.106050.0.0

I know I'll watch it again. :-)

Northern, IN

A Straggler....

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

This Bald Eagle was sitting in a tree over a deep hole, full of salmon, on Quartz Creek. The Sterling Hwy is on this side of the creek. I stopped for a few pictures, on the way home, from fishing this evening.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Look at those feet!

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Northern, IN

Wow !!

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pics guys!

The size of those feet and claws are incredible!

This message was edited Sep 30, 2007 7:18 AM

Wow! Great photos - what a contrast . . . the itty bitty hummer and the incredible eagle!!!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Golly. Mr. Eagle could catch some mighty fine salmon with those feet.
DW: I haven't seen a hummingbird in over a week. Nectar hasn't gone down either. :-( Great pic of your straggler.
Deb

Marlton, NJ

***Grandmaggie will be starting a new daily Pics soon. :-)***

This message was edited Sep 30, 2007 3:02 PM

DW..good pic.

Northern, IN

Thanks fchisolm,

I wish I had your energy.

I still had at least one hummer today.

Thumbnail by

Absolutely breathtaking!!!

Quoting:
A Straggler....

Very interesting one - can you get a pic of it from behind, too?

I think you may have a juvenile Rufous Hummingbird there. Note the orange flanks - Ruby-throated is pale greenish-grey there.

Get a hummingbird feeder back up too, there's a chance it may even stay with you for the winter, though it'll more likely move further on southeast in a day or two.

Resin

Northern, IN

Quoting:
Get a hummingbird feeder back up

....it never came down and won't for a couple weeks just for moments like this. A Rufous would be a great event for me. How rare is that for Indiana?

Sorry, but this was the only pic I managed.

I'll be on the lookout.

Pretty rare, it's a 'description species' - you'll need to send the photo and details to the Indiana Bird Records Committee (and if verified, and it stays a while, you'll have a big crowd of birders wanting to come and see it!)

More info, including contact details:
http://www.indianaaudubon.org/guide/storyarchives/2005fallarticle.htm

This list includes details of some past records:
http://www.indianaaudubon.org/ibrc/results2004.htm

Resin

Marlton, NJ

I thought that some juvenile ruby throateds could also have that color on their flanks for a while; not all just some and only for a short time.

Northern, IN

I see only five 'accepted' Indiana sightings in the past ten years, so that's 'rare' in my book.

I guess I better get some practice on the barbie before the crowds show up.

I believe another pic would be a 'clincher' so I'll give that my best shot.

I'd like to see Pelle's point addressed.

Brainerd, MN

Such great photos. Please keep them coming through the late MN fall and winter months. I will still get the chickadees and jays and woodpeckers and squirrels, but not much else. A warmer winter has been predicted once again - I wonder if that will affect migrations...?

Thanks for the eagle shot - they do have tremendous feet! I know it wouldn't be funny to be on the receiving end of those talons but those feet make me laugh. What I see is a magnificent bird with clown feet! :)

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

When I hadn't seen a hummer for 2 weeks, I took the feeders down. That was a week ago. Today a hummer came to the window to tell me I shouldn't have done that yet! I hung up the phone from a long distance call, and immediately set out two feeders in the usual spots. Just a few minutes later one was in use.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Tigerlily: Thanks for that. I'm going to go now and change the nectar! Just in case.
Deb

Marlton, NJ

Hi tiger, I usually leave my feeders up till December.

I just had a migrator here today and even got a few pics that I'll post later.

Glad you saw him! Pelle :-)

Marlton, NJ

*** I apologize if this threads getting a little long for some people but as soon as Grandmaggie comes back online she'll start the new volume. :-)

HERE IS THE NEW THREAD! PLEASE POST HERE:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/775888/

Thank You :-)

This message was edited Sep 30, 2007 6:40 PM

Quoting:
I thought that some juvenile ruby throateds could also have that color on their flanks for a while; not all just some and only for a short time

I can't find anything about this in either Sibley or Nat Geographic guides, though it is things like this why I only said "think you may have a juvenile Rufous" rather than "definitely do have" ;-) Caution is certainly advisable!

Send the photo to the contact in that first link:
dongorney AT yahoo.com
I'm sure he'd have enough experience to say if you have one or not.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.