DAILY PICS. VOL 21

Marlton, NJ

Same here seemama!! :-)

Klamath River, CA

The condition of the sock feeder is being brought to my attention. (I didn't know birds knew those kind of words).

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

That's better.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Brainerd, MN

It's about time!!!! :)

Melbourne, FL

Love that last shot....the sun on the birds is wonderful. My shot is of a female Cardinal taken this afternoon, first day using my new camera.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

I know everyones going to ask so I'll beat them to it,lol. :-)

Very nice pic!!

Whats your new camera?

Melbourne, FL

My new camera is an Olympus SLR, the Evolt 500. Just getting acquainted with it right now.

Klamath River, CA

A pair of mugwumps..............a mugwump is a bird who sits on a fence with his mug on one side and his wump on the other.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Nice pic adel. :-)

gardenpom, Congratulations on your new camera!

Melbourne, FL

Thanks Pell, I'm hoping for many happy years with it!

Melbourne, FL

Just saw my first Hummingbird this fall! Got one bad pic, but so happy to see him return.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Brainerd, MN

Can anyone identify this bird? It may be that the pic is so bad the bird is not recognizable to me. I'm curious about the one on the left.

I was going through pics from the summer and saw this - don't recall seeing it before.

Thumbnail by original_sybil
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I may be wrong, but it looks to me like either a female or juvie red bellied woodpecker

Marlton, NJ

Look like a juvie red bellied wp.

I'll check on 1 more thing.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto on juv Red-bellied Woodpecker

Brainerd, MN

Thanks everybody.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Adel: Mugwumps. LOL!

Klamath River, CA

White-crowned Sparrow (I hope).

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Your right adel it is a WCS. :-)

Klamath River, CA

Day is done...gone the sun...

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Northern, IN

Dim early morning light means blurry pictures but great breakfast crowds.

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Marlton, NJ

Nice setup Dave! :-)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks like a good camera gardenpom. congrats!!

Nice pics everyone.. (just catching up now) :-O

Dave's hummer pics were just amazing!!

I was a bit busy seeing a baby M. Dove back into the flocks. It was displaced by a split tree in my front yard. He was hanging out around the tray feeder and the E. Collards were pecking on him so much that I put him in a cage out by the feeders for a few days. One more peck and it could have killed him. The cage was to recover from the shock of losing his home, and keeping him safely fed to get his strength back. His parents had not shown up for almost a week.
For the past 3 days I left the cage open during the day. Yesterday he flew out and found his mom and dad, and he's been hanging around with them ever since then. It was kinda played as I went along here. I realized how domesticated many feeder birds have become even more than I suspected. They need to stay as wild as possible... Sure I feed them to get a closer look, now I continue to because of how dependent they have become. Go figure.

debnes

Marlton, NJ

Nice job debnes!!!

Klamath River, CA

The towhees are still here, and

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

they have found some one to pick on.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

LOL! Thanks adel! :-)

The birds came today looking for BOSS and found it. The doves.

Thumbnail by

The cardinals

Thumbnail by

The sparrows

Thumbnail by

The chickadees

Thumbnail by

The nuthatches.

Thumbnail by

I still have hummers.

Thumbnail by
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics Frank!

I love the Brown-headed Nuthatch!

Their call sounds like a little squeaky toy. :-)

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Brown-headed_Nuthatch.html#fig1

The nuthatches and chickadees seemed to follow a routine. The chickadees would come first and land on a branch. As soon as they jumped down to the feeder the nuthatches would take their place. Then after the chicadees flew away with a BOSS seed the nuthatches would jump down and get theirs. This routine went on time after time without change. The nuthatches never came unless the chickadees came first.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Frank: Great photos. May i ask what you do for squirrel "deterrence". You seem to have a couple of open feeders, so do you have baffles?
Deb

Deb, I started feeding squirrels first. I got into birds because they started coming to the squirrel feeders. So I don't worry about the squirrels at the platform feeders. The only problem I have had from them with anything hanging was one of the seed balls. Frank

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Frank: So the squirrels pretty much stick with "their" feeders? I've thought about feeding them separately but I was afraid I'd just attract more of them. They gobble up anything in an open feeder that they can get to - and they can get to almost any of them. Then they come looking for seed on the porch where I have a glass jar of seed. I used to keep it in a plastic one, but they chewed through it. They've even chewed through the screen to get to it. :)
Deb

Well, do you talk to your squirrels and explain to them how things have to be done?

Thumbnail by
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

LOL! Great shot.
But, yes, I speak to them, and they just give me that look. :)
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.