lots of coffee grounds

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I recently have a source for coffee grounds, LOTS OF them ( starbucks employee) One day last week I added a bag of them that was about 1 1/2 ft square of wet used grounds and last night the coffee grounds fairy left me two more bags ! but I am unsure about how much in your pile is to much. Does anyone know?
laura

Greensboro, AL

Wow: I wonder what I would have to do to get the Coffee Grounds Fairy to come to my house and visit my compost pile.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

maybe if you put a coffee filter under your pillow ?
do you have a coffee shop near you?

Greensboro, AL

Nope. the restaurant accross the street just went out of business.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I get 25lbs a day from a large local starbucks. Truly, there is no such thing as "too much". And my car smells really wonderful.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

oh I am so glad to hear that! I was afraid it might make the compost to acidic
laura

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

all materials, once composted, are close to neutral ph. Depending on the material it can take a while for it to completely break down, and it may boost or lower the ph accordingly until it is "done". I find that coffee grounds break down very rapidly, and make a good substitute for lawn clippings when they are not available. And of course they smell really nice.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

Greenjay
have you ever used them right around plants? like mulch? I know from vermicompsting that worms love them
laura
ps you are right about the smell my back yard smells great!

cedar rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

After reading this I stopped by our Starbuck's. They gave me three bags half full and then the girl said wait I'll clean right now. she gave me one full bag...I came home and dumped them in my composter....Now smells like the goats had been on a coffee binge...ha!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Sometimes I dump the coffee grounds from my own house right onto the flower beds or lawn. (too lazy to walk back to the compost). Mostly I save them in an empty Folger's coffee container until it's full, then feed to the compost. I never waste them, though.

Karen

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I often put them at the base of my roses right from the bag. But this time of year we are busy getting the leaves into the compost, & the grounds make that process work faster.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I put my coffee grounds from personal use on all my acid loving plants -- LA iris, lily of the valley, Siberian iris, hydrangea, banana tree. I probably should investigate my local Starbucks. I could definitely use more.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

The Starbucks folks are great about giving it away. And oh, how I love the way my car smells! Practically don't have to drink a cuppa in the morning!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I did have some problems with putting coffee directly on my plants, but I probably over-did it - and it was in Phoenix where it dried and clumped up. My only advice would be make sure you turn your pile and perhaps water the grounds in a little after you put them down.

I read that most of the acidity goes into the coffee and is washed out of the beans, so I don't think it can do any harm in terms of adding acid, just a nice mulch. Unless you live in Phoenix!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Here are some interesting resources that might help:

http://www.compostinfo.com/tutorial/CanICompostIt.htm

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/garden/edible/article/0,20633,1208232,00.html

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

what great links! thanks starbucks really is very good to save and separeate them from the trash it would be much easier to just toss them It is nice to know that some companys are thinking green.
laura

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow.. Thank you so much for this thread and those links! I stopped saving my coffee grounds since I have acidic soil and was afraid the coffee grounds were adding too much acid.. This is great info!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Most likely the best advise would be to not go crazy using any one material. Once you get the hang of it you will be your neighborhood expert.

Most neighborhoods have many choices for free plant material: Peanut vendor has shells, big box grocery stores have the greens they pull off to keep their displays fresh and nice. Barbers have hair. Old buildings sometimes have Bat Poo. It is utterly amazing what is out there if you just keep looking and asking.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My grandfather kept a box of worms under the porch for fishing. He fed them the coffee grounds and claimed they loved them. So those of you are interested in vermicultures, bring your worms a cup of coffee... grounds.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I'm currently putting one filter bag each in my newly potted sago palm puppies. They're going dormant for the winter, and I'm getting them ready for a spring fling, when they throw out new leaves. I'm hoping to infiltrate them systemically with the coffee, 'cause I've learned that the dreaded Leaf Scale does NOT like the taste of caffeine and will discontinue attacking and sucking the juice from the Sago leaves! How cool is that.

And I'm sure after a good jolt of Java, those leaves will stand out straighter than ever!

Edited to say "caffeine" instead of nicotine. Wouldn't want to see my Sagos smoking out there!

This message was edited Dec 5, 2007 6:53 PM

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

No such thing as too many coffee grounds, ever. It would take truck loads all dumped in one spot to begin to effect ph. Do mix other materials in as well, but that's a great score! WOOHOO! If we lived a little closer I'd swap you bagged leaves for coffee grounds.........LOL

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Sheesh, have you named those bags yet?

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Not yet, but I have a line on maybe another 30bags....would that be too cool or what. We'll be up to our er, elbows in leaves! Never too many of those either, in spite of what these other plp say. LOL

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Im adding coffee grounds to leaves.

One thing to keep in mind from the “Common Sense Department” is the fact that coffee grounds have been sterilized , by boiling water. They will contain a very low bacteria count. When mixing with any browns like leaves throw in a small amount, of your garden soil. This will supply the native biology. A black strap molasses treatment will surely help the micro-herd to grow or expand more quickly.
Two to four ounces per gallon of water will be fine. More in warm weather less in cold weather is the rule of thumb.

docgipe,
You've read my mind, I was thinking of getting some molasses.

Cattle feed grade black strap molasses is very inexpensive and stangely the most valued because it has not been processed and had spoilage preventive chemicals added. It can be purchased where cattle feed is mixed or made.

Okay! Thanks, for the lead!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.