Help! Please tell me this is not a poisonous snake....

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

this fell from my garage door when I opened it this evening when I got home from work. Any ideas what it is? It is a small snake, so I'm guessing it's just a baby.
Any help would be appreciated because I'm deathly afraid of snakes.
Thanks!!

Thumbnail by indiana_lily

here's one more picture....

Thumbnail by indiana_lily
Barnesville, GA

My best guess is that this is a Grey Rat Snake (Elaphe obsoleta spiloides). Ranges widely throughout the eastern half of the continental US. Gorgeous animal! I hope you did him no harm.

Thanks.

There was no harm done to the snake. Unfortunately, we haven't a clue as to where it is now. I had a friend go through my entire garage looking for it last night, but he could not find it. And, after reading that it is a good climber, I'm wondering if it didn't climb up the bricks on my house -- if so, it would blend in perfectly.

I'm really, really trying to appreciate snakes, spiders, etc., more than I used to. And, even though I don't particularly care for spiders, I have been admiring a scribbler that's been hanging in the same spot in my yard for about 3 weeks now. So, instead of freaking out when I see the spider, I notice how much bigger he's getting, and admire the fact that he catches insects that are not beneficial.

Snakes, well, that's going to take me a bit longer to appreciate, but I'm trying. :)

Barnesville, GA

I'm glad you're working on it. Rat snakes, King snakes, Garter snakes, Hog-nose snakes, Corn snakes are all good friends of the garden and the gardener, not to mention being beautiful reptiles.
Keep up the good work!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

WOW that snake looks DIGITAL!! Weird because the pic is very clear!!!

It does look kinda digital, doesn't it? I'm amazed I was able to get such clear shots because I was so nervous.

My friend dismantled my garage looking for the snake -- he went through it twice and could not find it. Now, I have to get everything back in order today so that I can park my car in there. Let's hope that I'm not the lucky one to stumble across it as I'm putting everything back in its place!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.