Food thread for DG RU on Oct. 13

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

This is where you post what foods you are bringing to the RU.

I have one of my decorated birthday cakes and 1/2 gallon of no sugar added ice cream in the freezer. I don't know what else I will have tho I'm sure I'll have salad makings & fresh fruits on hand and dressings for the salads.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I will bring dessert of course. LOL. I am thinking of making these strawberry balls that chrissy100, another DG member, gave me the recipe for. Maybe brownies. The guys at work drool over those. LOL. MY mechanic will work on my truck as long as he gets brownies. Or butterscotch cookies.

Too many choices!!!!! LOL

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I would like to bring my chicken and broccoli casserole. Everyone always likes it. I will also bring some diet sodas.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I will bring the dead Armadillo if I catch him and maybe we can roast him like a pig on a stick. Wonder if we will need picks and stuff you use for eating lobster.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Oz, do they really eat armadillos?I'm game for nearly anything in the food line except insects, rodents, and opposums. I have a grill but not one of the rostiserie things.

I heard they do someplaces Eva may but I sure am not going to.

LOL. We can try to cook him and I can take it into work and feed it to my guys. They are up for anything.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Let's pass on eating the armadillo at the RU. I'm certain we can find other meats to eat.

LOL

Well I was ahhhhh just suggesting Eva May. After all you did find one on the road. I thought ,well it might be a cheap provisions. But if you did not bring it home and put it in the freezer I suppose that is out by now. I mean after all Pepper has been discussing eating alligator. We dont know what she might do. Might show up with baked water dog are something like that.

Baked water dog????????

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Lol.... It like chicken meat!

When gator eat chicken or any of animals eat no matter what they eat but NOT for me to eat Baked water dog!?!

Rusty, I ate that alligator not knowing that's what it was. It was a spicy meat but still good.

Well pepper I am not sure. you might want to try that after the gator meat.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Where's EvaMae?? We have a lot of "banter" on our food thread...... (ahem!) .... ;) (Time to get serious, (haha) it's less than 3 weeks away!) Someone needs to regain some control over this FOOD thread!! (LOL) I guess EvaMae's got the last word and we WON'T be eating armadillo, no baked water dog and nothing as exotic as alligator, please?...Rose is bringing chicken broccoli casserole.... I will make that big recipe of chicken spagetti, but we'll have to warm it up, I'll make it the night before and transport it in a cooler (oh, EvaMae has that NEW stove!) She said she's got ice cream and cake and salad makin's so do we want cole slaw? I've been told I can mix up a pretty tasty slaw... DD can make some cookies, she's been inventing some new recipes.... Chocolate Mocha Mayhem or something, is her latest.... (therapy food for what ails us chocoholics) I can bring anything, easily transportable, please, do we want a potato dish or baked beans or something, maybe some bread or biscuits and butter? If we want to grill, I can bring some meat instead of the spagetti casserole... ideas (serious), anyone?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I do have the grills(one is the small round Brinkman smoker/grill & the other one is a 3 level LP gas one), the stove with 4 burners and an oven & a counter top oven that will hold a 12" pizza to give you an idea of the size & a microwave. So cooking will be no problem. I have 2 freezers and will attempt to clear out most of the 'fridge & have 4 coolers so food storage shouldn't be a problem either. I also have an 18 qt. roaster we can use to keep items warm. Or partially fill with ice and use to keep items cold. I have the 3 pan buffet inset that goes with it.

I will get a pkg. of the Polish or Smoked Sausages from ALDI's and if we don't use them the dogs all like them. lol. Does everyone like chicken leg quarters? They aren't too expensive in the 10# bag, Fresh biscuits from the oven sound great to me. I'm a carbaholic so anything in the baked goods area sounds good to me.

Lots of people don't like our water that well so if someone wants to bring about 3 or 4 gallons of drinking water in the gallon size jugs it would probably be good. I have a can of Country Time Lemonade Tea(?)that makes 6 quarts and a can of Tang lemonade that makes 8 quarts we can use. I do have a filter on the 'fridge & we can get water thru it. I have ice available too. May have some in the freezer now.

Slaw would probably be good. Not everyone likes salads. Any kind of salad would probably be good. Like 3 or 4 bean, etc.

Baked beans are kind of traditional for fall cookouts.

I'm just throwing out thoughts so any discussion is welcome.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2007 9:22 PM

Baked beans sound great!! I can probably grab water. I won't be bringing very many plants this time so my truck will have tons of room outside.

I will probably bring brownies and the water. I am hoping to bring a couple other people but they don't know if they can come or not yet. As soon as they know I will see what they want to bring.

EvaMae, the chicken sounds great!!

Keep the ideas coming. I am mulling over them and will post ideas and comments when I think of them.

I will bring acase of botteled water.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I try to think something make pumpkin muffins...

Chicken is good and salad and bean, too....

Also bring your own plate and silverwares...

Wonder to know how many peoples will come...

Do we want to use paper plates and plastic silverware?

I will bring in brownies and I might bring in some local honey too if I can remember in time to ask for some. I will bring the 1Ib bottles.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Yes on paper plates & plastic silverwares....

Oh honey yum!

I'll bring about a dozen to give away. It is very good honey.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Okay that's for all now and it settled for it...

See ya all at RU....

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have some good plastic glasses. About 16 oz ones I think. Maybe 20 of them. Anyone who wants to bring regular plates & silverware is welcome to wash them in the kitchen sink. I may have to get another new burning barrel for the throw away stuff. I need one anyway as the old ones are filling up rapidly with yarden trash I've burned. Some are almost burned thru in a place or 2.

Pepper it sounds as tho you did well at the fall plant sale. I hope we can get some pitched plants that will be suitable for the RU giveaway/swap. I have 2 of the nonhardy mimosa. I think AuntB has spoken for one.

God bless each of you.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I think I have great news. I asked my employer if we could borrow/rent the 3 bay steam table we don't use very often at the cafe' and the answer sure seemed to be in the affirmative. That with the 18 qt. roaster and it's inset of 3 containers for buffet serving will help us keep hot food hot and cold foods cold. The steam table can be use used for both hot and cold foods at the same time. Just turn on the bay you want to heat and put ice in the other one(s). Anyone else have one of those 18 qt. roasters?I'm thinking mostly of being able to keep the foods covered in case the flies find us. I'm trying to keep the population down but so far the stinky traps and sticky traps don't seem to be working very well this year. I'm not sure why, but they aren't. I remember one family cookout I thought all the flies were around the stinky traps only to have them decend on our food in hordes when we started putting it out. That was so embarrassing. Of course we could keep all the food in the house and just eat outside or inside as we wish. That might help a lot.

Oh yes, everyone who can please bring your own lawn chairs. I have a few but the most would be 8 or 10. Then of course there are the chairs in the house we can use outside if we want too, but when we have big family gatherings it usually ends up with us running out of chairs.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I have 2 big cockery cooker... It will be enough?

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I don't have one of those big roasters. I have a big electric skillet. I'm STILL not sure what food stuff I'm bringing, but I can bring some paper plates and plastic forks. I'll get a couple packages of those Chinette heavy kind and some small cheapies for desserts or salads. I may have some odds & ends plastic cups as well. Oh, it's getting closer, need to revise my scribbles to a legible list and add the plates & forks (and chairs). We will just do what is best with the day we are given, EvaMae. If it's flies being pesky, we'll take the food inside. It will be nice to meet and visit with everyone. Still need to sort through my seed bin and decide for sure what food I'm bringing.... Maybe a big pkg of burger and buns, baked beans and a dessert? That sounds easier to transport than the chicken spagetti. And we'll already have the grill fired up for Amanda's chicken.. has anyone done an estimate of how many of us there will be? Oh, need to get my gifties done too! It'll be here before we know it. Were there directions posted somewhere, (can't believe I'd miss that) or demailed?

AuntB, the directions were d-mailed. Check your inbox or just d-mail EvaMae.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

AuntyB, I've DMailed you. Reply if you need more instructions.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Got it. ;) Thank you.

Sedalia, MO

I think I will bring a sweet potatoe casserole, and what ever else I can think of.Perhaps some chips?

Those would be great!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

That sweet potato casserole sounds wonderful. Chips are good on picnics. I found some really good lower salt ones last week. But I can't remember the name of them right now. I think they may have been baked too so the fat was lower. I know they were cheddar cheese ones, wavey, kind of thick like those multigrain ones. Maybe when I go to town tomorrow I'll see them somewhere and remember. Dollar General maybe. But I'm sure you are the queen of low salt foods with your DH on dialysis.

I think the menu for the RU is coming together wonderfully. Amanda is bringing another gallon or so of ice cream. If it is hot that day ice cream will sure help cool us off. And it will go great with brownies & cake. I'm sure there will be other desserts brought too. Maybe pies too. The pumpkin muffins may qualify as a dessert as well as a bread type food.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Okay I bring some pumpkin pies...I skip muffins!

Sea Salt is best than salt....

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Rusty, I wasn't putting the muffins down. I think they sound wonderful. Of course you can do both if you want to. LOL. I was jokingly talking about making something of the pumpkins after we have carved them. By the way, who is bringing the pumpkins? I don't have any.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Yes, shall we bring our own? Or does someone have some growing that will go to waste? Melissa (my DD) is already having ideas.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

That is a good question, AuntB. I haven't a clue. The idea of carving pumpkins was just tossed out a few days ago and nothing more offered by that person. Personally I don't celebrate Holloween but the pumpkin carving in fun is ok with me. I don't need any pumpkin as I have several cans of it already. I may even try to do something with some of it. There is a Bisquick Impossible recipe that is easy and good. I like those recipes because they are usually very easy and quick to make.

Will whoever tossed out the pumpkin idea please tell us what you had in mind? Do we get our own? I think that is about the only way to do it as there are no funds to buy a bunch of them and we don't know how many to buy.

Ok, I am bringing brownies, aluminum pan, gal of ice cream and a dozen things of honey. Plus some plants and hopefully some company.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

It was Tetleytuna, I think I posted on another one of our RU threads, but we need to bring our own pumpkin and a little "festive" gift for the basket if we want to participate...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.