Effective "Googling" technique for Iris CVs?

(Zone 5b)

I need some tips. Evidently "Iris" is the name of some sort of software, EPA database, or other "thing" that I don't NEED when searching for the name of an Iris CV. Aside from going to various retailer websites to see if they even HAVE what I'm looking up, what is the best thing I can do to eliminate the GARBAGE from my google searches? I am usually very good at the google thing, but haven't figured out the Iris thing yet.
Thanks.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

What exactly were you trying to search on? Did you try using the "-" tag?

Like this:
Iris CV -software - epa -seismic

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

if you know the hybridizer's name try:

iris, "cultivar" hybridizer's last name - so if you are looking for Jumpin Jack Flash, type: iris, "jumpin jack flash" painter to get better results.

if you don't know the hybridizer try: "bearded iris", "cultivar" - so again it would be "bearded iris", "jumpin jack flash"

roni

This message was edited Sep 18, 2007 1:26 PM

(Zone 5b)

Yes, was using the quotes, no usually don't know the hybridizer's name, but I'm glad I asked because adding "bearded" didn't come to me. Thanks, that'll certainly be a huge help!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I use Google and this format

+iris"jumping jack flash"bloom

That way if there is a picture on DG it will be listed first, because of the word bloom

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

This was a good question, because I hadn't thought about putting the word bearded in the search also.
Judy - I like your search too -- but still can't find "Light Speed" that was on the coop. :-( Ordered it anyway, but am real curious as to what it's gonna look like.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

You probably couldn't find it because Lightspeed is one word, not two.

LIGHTSPEED (Bryce Williamson, R. 2000), Sdlg. 1791-3. BB, 26" (66 cm), EM
"Chrome yellow, F. heavily marked and lined mahogany brown; beards dark yellow orange; slight fragrance. Parquet X Jitterbug. Williamson 2001

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you for that description. Actually I had previously tried it both ways, but without putting the bearded word in there. Sounds pretty to me.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I too have struggled with finding irises on Google when there is some popular phrase in the irises name. Some iris names are also popular phrases in the media. Hadn't thought of trying adding "Bearded". The best way to get it right is to use the AIS Iris registration database for $10 per year. If I don't find the iris there, I know I have misspelled it. Then I search on hybridizer. But there are a few irises that just don't appear on the internet as far as I can tell. Or at least they haven't been indexed by Google which only indexes about 15% of the internet as I recall.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Are you guys using Google Images? I think that helps.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Google Images can help, but in the hard to find cultivars it is unlikely to find the image and to post something that is not even related.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.