grafted Adenium

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Saw this at nursery here in So California yesterday- an Adenium with three different colored blooms on it

Thumbnail by palmbob
Yardley, PA

They are so neat. A few people here do the grafting and I am excited to learn how. Thanks for the picture.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

It looks like an Aribicum Caudex.
I hope you bought it!
Its huge!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Ha... could not afford this plant... anyway, have no way really to keep this sort of cold sensitive plant alive... I only deal with plants that can live outdoors here... those that can't survive that stay at a nursery

Yardley, PA

Just curious, with zone 9b in California, what do your temperatures go down to? I don't know why I am asking because I am just going to be jealous!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Normally they go down to about 30F, occasionally dipping down to 26F... and rarely down to 20F (briefly). This last winter was one of the worst in most people's memory- 24-25F, but for a very extended period of time (over 7 hours)... usually when it dips down that low it is but for an instant, and goes back up into the high 20s or 30F. These cold dips are usually 1-2 nights out of 365... but all it takes is 1-2 to drop your survivability down a huge percentage. These cold snaps are usually preceded by storms and followed by periods of prolonged cool... sometimes it is the recent rain and the ensuing cool that kills the plants, and not the cold snap itself.

Hey Bob,
How much was it?
and if I can afford it would you buy it and ship it to me? ;p
Im asking a lot but im only curious.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I don't really know, but my guess is probably $500... that is a typical cost for 'nicer' plants in this nursery

yIKES!
Mybudget is a touch smaller than that lol!
For the year ^^

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Whoa!!!. That price shocked me too.

I agree with you on the A. aribicum. That's not at all characteristic of A. obesum.

Good looking plant.

Chris

Yardley, PA

Holy smokes. It does pay to do your homework. I had bought a 3 color graft from Bob Smoley's for $47.50. It was a very nice size.

Id expect to pay around $75.- for an extra large 3 species arabicum.
And the caudex had best be awesome.
Im thinking they dont know the market on adeniums too well.

Yardley, PA

I know arabicums have a nice caudex but are they also used because they aren't good bloomers? Mine isn't, at least. I will have to do that next spring after my tutoring (via Malestrom.)

Arabicums have the best caudexes in my opinion
They also have the unique ability to self heal root rot.

I was bored today and my health has taken a real turn for the better.
Ive had so much energy this week its unbelievable
I did about 9 grafts today lol!
I made 1 a 5 typed he heeeee
I hope they all take. ^^
anytime Sally
Give me a call before I run out of root stock ;p

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

M,

I've had several A. Obesums self heal, at least self heal in the way I consider it, where the decaying tissue actually stops, and then is cast off from the plant. Leaves a heck of a scar, but the plants are no worse for the wear. It occaisionally adds some interesting character to the developing caudex down the road.

Is that the same as the arabicum, or does the dead tissue actually recover, leaving no holes or scars?

Chris

Ive only read of it so far.
I havent had any Arabicums rot on me yet,
Ask again in the spring ;P

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have a massive aribicum that I got last year. I think I am going to graft a few different colors to it next spring. Not sure there is enough time now.

Your in Florida, you have time
Im in PA and just did a bunch.
When a chill is predicted I use a heat pad to keep the roots warm.
It will take a good bit longer is all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.