coneflower seeds

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi all, this is my first year planting from seeds and was wondering what coneflower seeds look like. I have some coneflowers that I let turn black on the stem. I tried to collect the seeds, but have no idea how the seeds look like. I brushed over the cone with my fingers and 3 things fell out. I think I can eliminate the long needle-like materials and what I have left are these below. The one at the bottom, I think, is a combination of the two on top? Could you please be so kind as to tell me if any of those are seeds and which ones I can put in the ground? Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

The top left is the seed. It looks like a little missile.
The other two are chaff. The tiny stick is part of the bloom and the bottom one looks like the part of the bloom that holds the seed. Hope this helps.

edi to add picture from plantfiles: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/31/

This message was edited Sep 17, 2007 1:36 PM

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Thank you, that was a big help! I appreciate your quick response.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Karmaplace, I'm glad to help. At least you asked before putting your seeds in envelops. Unlike my first time learning. I enveloped the little sticks (chaff) and threw out the real seeds. Live and learn, but ask first! LOL

Deborah

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That is funny, but I can relate. I've had plants where I save it all and plant it all. Yes echinacea seeds are smaller than you think.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Ummmmm, actually, I was so sure the chaff were the seeds that I put them in an envelope and left the actual seeds on the side as I waited for a response. LOL Bigcityal, I saw your response in an old thread about keeping the heads whole and refrigerating them. But that was after I had turned them into shreds and thought ooops!

This message was edited Sep 17, 2007 7:46 PM

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh well, next time. The seeds normally fall out pretty well brushing with the spikey grain.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I hate it when one of those spikes gets me in my nail bed quick. Ouch!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.