Salvia Sessei

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

The flowers are just about ready to open. Another Mexican beauty.

Thumbnail by annette68
Candor, NC

This species can easily form a small tree, as can some forms of regla and pubescens.

London, United Kingdom

I know that I sent you seeds of this.......but flowers do not resemble sessei!!! But gorgeous anyway!

Robin.

These are from the seeds you sent marked salvia sessei maybe I think they were marked. We will have to wait till the flowers open and than the guessing games begin.

mmmm if it isnt sessei than I wonder what it is. Here is a pic off its flower.

Thumbnail by annette68
Candor, NC

On examining the foliage, it looks like S. regla. See attached images for floral spike and individual flower

My plant came from the collection at the Huntington Library and Botanical Garden.

Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

Maybe its a hybrid of sessei. Note the swollen and colored calyx.

In the wild, this sage is called `Sangre de Toro'. with its dense display of pendulous flowers. dripping down, someone fancifully suggested that a bull got into a nasty battle with a top predator and got its blood spattered all over the trees.

Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne

Hi Richard,

Here are a few more photos for you, the foliage on the bottom off the salvia and the flower stem, the flowers are coming up the stem amongst the foliage, it is unusual. This does not look like the Salvia Regla that I have.

Thumbnail by annette68

The bottom half off this salvia, it is not very old, maybe just 4 months.

Thumbnail by annette68
Candor, NC

Maybe its a hybrid of sessei with regla, which might make it similar to S. pubescens. Is the plant currently growing rapidly, making its big spring push? If so, this might explain some of the different morphology of the leaves

Yes the plant just went into growth overdrive, I have another 2 that are coming along well as well. They all germinated at the same time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.