In Zone 8b-9 bought stephanotis and mandavilla- mistake?

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

They were on sale the other day so I bought them. I don't know if I really have enough room or light to bring them in in the winter. Did I waste my money? I can keep them in pots against the house if I need to or cut them back and cover w/ mulch. Will any of these methods work? What are my options?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

my friend cuts hers back and covers with mulch. it works for her. i lost mine because i just left it next to the house.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Good to know, is she in the B'ham area or further south? (I'm a North AL girl myself).

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

we are in the birmingham area, about 15 min. to be precise

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow that makes me feel better about my purchase, it doesn't get nearly as cold here for nearly as long as it does in b'ham. Thanks so much!

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

So here's a question. I've got a Mande that got pretty sick with aphids and such. There's not more growth on the lower 6 feet of the vine - it's just ugly plain stick looking. But the top is beautiful. Can I chop it down and get more growth? If so, when should i do this? And will it bloom into the fall here for me in Zone 9?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If the top is beautiful and blooming now, I'd be tempted to leave it alone and then cut it back over the winter once it stops blooming. Also, if this is a plant that you plan to keep outside over the winter, I would not cut it back now, that will stimulate new tender growth that is much more likely to get damaged by frost/cold weather. If you're bringing it in for the winter, then that won't matter.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, good to know! Since mine is in the ground outside, I'l wait until it stops blooming. Then when it does, where should I cut it down at? At the base? Or leave some growth? And will it grow back next spring?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've never kept mandies around from one year to the next, hopefully someone else will know the right way to cut it back. As far as growing back next spring, it all depends on how bad a winter you have. I think they're only reliably hardy in zone 10 (unless it's Mandevilla laxa, that one's hardier). But if you have a mild winter and don't get much frost then it may come back.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Good to know, I'll see what happens! Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.