Show Us Your Feeders Everyone!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Here is our bird/squirrel feeder, even though it is meant for the birds. They seem to share nicely though.

It is made out of Copper w/4 feeding ports. We have it hung under our open air canopy so it stays dry. Here, if it gets wet, the seed will actually start to grow inside. That is a real mess to clean up and the birds will stop feeding from it.

Thumbnail by irishsoul

Here are two squirrel/bird feeders. We have them on the fence next to the woods so the squirrels will have easy access to them. But, of course, the birds share too.

We fill them with corn, sunflower seeds and whole peanuts.

Thumbnail by irishsoul

Just thought I would add this in. Here is the squirrel feeder with a young male Cardinal eating. He is almost at his full color. When he was young, he looked a lot like the female brownish red. Some of the brown is still left, but not for long.

Thumbnail by irishsoul
Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Irishsoul I love your cardnal picture. We have some in our yard too. They are one of my favorite birds.

Marlton, NJ

Very nice irishsoul! Glad to hear the squirrels aren't hogging all the birdseed for themselves. :-)

I love the copper feeder!

Thanks for posting the pics of your feeders! Pelle

We started last year with just a Mr & Mrs and now we have about 10 I think. When they all come at once to eat, we have 6 females and 4 males. They are the bravest little ones. We sit at the table under the canopy and they act like we are part of their family. One even landed on the chair beside us. Acted as if he was waiting for something else to eat.

If I don't get out early enough to fill the feeder, they come as far as the patio by door. I think it is to get our attention and a small reminder.

Marlton, NJ

That would really be different than the experiece I have up here in Jersey. The Cardinals seem very shy (we have a lot of them) although the females are definitely braver than the males. :-)

That must be a nice experience with them being so friendly.

Up here my friendly ones are Downy Woodpeckers, Black-capped Chickadees and of course the Hummingbirds. :-)

You have Chickadees, how wonderful! I have never seen one in person. They are so cute in the books. They looked playful. If you have pictures, I would love to see them.

Marlton, NJ

Hi irishsoul, here is one from the other day.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4004553

I'll send you more in a D mail. :-) Pelle

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks to recent postings, I just toured this thread. Very fun and interesting.

I have a couple of large hopper feeders... I love them as they require less maintenance to fill but...

One night my little "booger" barker alerted me to this...

Thumbnail by podster
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Two weeks later, the "booger" alarm went off again. Found this...

Looks like he brought a date...

Thumbnail by podster
Marlton, NJ

So funny!

Thanks for the pics podster!!!

Coquitlam, BC(Zone 7b)

lol podster. They look cozy. Great capture!
Very nice feeders, irishsoul. I really like your setup for the squirrels.

Thank you. All three feeders are in view of our patio doors so we can even stay inside in the hot weather and watch.

Have a Great Day!

No matter what I buy or build; the cardinals seem to like best this old abandoned planter that I use to anchor my twigs in. They just scratch through the old hulls searching for the new BOSS.

Thumbnail by

Their second choice is the trough made from an old section of limb. The cardinals, grackles, sparrows, nuthatch and chickadees use this.

Thumbnail by
Marlton, NJ

I love the log idea!

Marlton, NJ

I thought I would post a few of mine since we have some new people here.

This is my Squirrel Buster Plus feeder. After losing tons of feeders due to damage from the squirrels (not to mention all the seed they ate) I finally bit the bullet and bought this feeder. It is weight activated so if the squirrels do get to the perch ring their weight immediately closes the portals. You can see its all downward sloping (except for the perch ring) so theres nothing for them to be able to grab onto. You can change the allowable weight if you do not want birds like Grackles to be able to eat from it.

I've had it a year and the squirrels can't beat it. I won't kid you its an expensive feeder (maybe $70?) but it works like a gem and all parts are 100% guaranteed.

LOL, Do I sound like a commercial?

Not the best looker in town but I love it! Pelle

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Now to the opposite end this is very inexpensive, Its called a NoNo Feeder.

Its supposed to help against squirrels and it does to a certain extent. If you look at the left lower part of the feeder you'll see the warped wire damage that was done by squirrels.

I like this feeder alot but now keep it on a baffled pole system. Its great for seeds like BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seed) and the birds seem to really enjoy it.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Northern, IN

Of all the feeders I have the most productive is my suet cage since it gives me photo ops like this for monthly emailing to my Grandchildren.

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Marlton, NJ

Nice pic Dave! :-)

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Very nice pic!! Our 7yr. old GD is trying to learn the different birds. Nanny is very proud!!

Northern, IN

I can't think of any better gift we can give our Grandchildren.

It's pretty tough when we have to compete with video games.

Marlton, NJ

Thats so true!

Marlton, NJ

Just saw they have a 5 Tier No No Feeder out!

This site had the best price I could find.

http://www.rachelsrobin.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-19185-9e764d375e125eb298b44fe87554d874&ps_session=a23159bd457ef03876f63cba1d6affdd

Ooooh!

Pell. do you think cardinals & bluejays be able to use that one? Not a bad price either!

Marlton, NJ

I'm honestly not sure Nanny. I have the smallest no no feeder and the Cards. don't use it though with this one being so much larger they might.

Other larger birds do use the smaller size and along w/ the small birds.

The Cardinals are one of the few Perching birds in my yard that I've never seen use clinging type feeders. They seem to like a nice comfortable roomy perch and at least w/ the old small size feeder the perch is very close to the feeder and is really only good for finches, small sparrows and those capable of clinging.

Unless they changed the design and moved the perches out further I would have to think they would not use it.

Maybe someone else w/ the same feeder has witnessed something different?

Marlton, NJ

Nanny Heres one for Cardinals. You can see the perch area is diffrent.

http://www.rachelsrobin.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-12807&ps_session=a23159bd457ef03876f63cba1d6affdd

Marlton, NJ

Sorry I didn't see that you mentioned Bluejays; yes they do use the other style.

Thank you! May have to check into those for sure. I have been thinking about the NO No feeder any way......

Marlton, NJ

Just bought a new Peanut Silo. This ones by Yankee Droll and is longer than my old one.

Thumbnail by pelletory
S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

When I got back from a few days away - my peanut silo (Yankee Droll) the bottom was off, - did the squirrels do this? I'm thinking most likely

Marlton, NJ

Thats definitely possible. Does the bottom screw off?

Mines on a baffled pole.

Brainerd, MN

Those squirrels can accomplish just about anything. They got the bottom off of mine too. Only once so far. And the bottom does screw off. It had a little chain that attached from the inside and that broke off. They are amazing critters.

I know, and some people say animals aren't smart!

Brainerd, MN

Speaking of smart animals have you all seen this?

http://birdloversonly.blogspot.com/2007/09/may-i-have-this-dance.html

I hope this link goes through okay.

now that was pretty cool, thanks for the link

Marlton, NJ

Isn't that cool? I think I saw that a few days ago on Youtube

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

LOL Did you notice that the bird in the cage was trying too but could not keep up?

Marlton, NJ

Yes I saw that; very cute.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.