Show Us Your Feeders Everyone!

Marlton, NJ

Hi Guys! I thought we could start this new thread because we have alot of new people onboard and since the time the Bird Watching forum started I'm sure we've all learned new things about different feeders that work better for our different situations. Tell us all why you do or do not like your current feeders (along w/ photos or not) and I'm sure we'll all be able to learn from one another too!

You all know my story w/ this upside down Thistle Feeder. I had a difficult problem with too many House Finch keeping the Goldfinch away from the upright thistle feeders. I was down to only 1 pair of Goldfinch sneaking in a day to grab a bite. Now I'm seeing up to 12 Goldies a day!!
I'm seriously thinking about getting another Upside Down one.

So come on lets see your pics (or not if your without a camera) and hear your stories! Pelle

This message was edited Sep 15, 2007 11:56 PM

Thumbnail by pelletory
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nothing fancy, just a finch sock in my WMA.

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

And a hummer feeder in the same area.

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hummer and sock feeder on the "stargate" on my back walkway.

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Platform feeder on birch. Going to add more when we cut down the other dead tree,

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

This hummer feeder gets replaced with a large BOSS feeder that looks like a lantern when the hummers are gone.

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

A homemade feeder for all to enjoy! Birds, chipmonk, and even Petey! I also add a suet feeder on a hook as the weather gets cooler. And the picnic table for the whole peanuts in the shell!

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Marlton, NJ

Very nice Grandmaggie! Thanks for posting those! Pelle

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

This one is filled with BOSS and nut and berry mix.

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks Pelle! What a great idea for a thread! :) Let's see more!

Corinth, NY(Zone 4b)

I just put up my sock last week. My other feeder is filled with BOSS, and another one will go out on my porch soon. I just love all the pictures of everyone's feeders and birds.

Marlton, NJ

Hi Candy. Glad your enjoying the pics! What type of feeder holds your Boss (Black Oil Sunflower seed; for those that don't know)? Pelle

Corinth, NY(Zone 4b)

Pelle,
Here is a picture of one of my feeders. I have been feeding the birds for the last 30 years, my mother in law loved feeding her birds and I got the love of it from her.

Thumbnail by Candy
Marlton, NJ

Wow thats great Candy! Nice pic too! Since you've been doing it so long I'm sure you will have plenty of information to offer everyone as to what has worked best for you.

If you want to post more pics of your other feeders please go right ahead and do so. :-)

Thanks again for the post and pic! Pelle

Coquitlam, BC(Zone 7b)

Great pictures! I have two to share. The chickadees took over this one.

A few weeks ago, my dh took it down for two hours to drill a few more holes up top to hang some planters and a hummingbird feeder. The chickadees came and investigated. They didn't know what to make of it all. When dh came back out to rehang the dee feeder, they were absolutely furious with him. There were dees to the left of him in the bush, there were dees on the ground behind him, there were dees to his right in the trees. All were yelling at him till he left. lol

Thumbnail by MoogleTree
Coquitlam, BC(Zone 7b)

Here's my gazebo. The chickadees happily eat there (variety I suppose :). When the other little birds come, the juncos take it over. They all scatter when Mr. Blue comes.

Thumbnail by MoogleTree
Marlton, NJ

Moogle Thanks for your pics; I love the Gazebo!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

interesting feeders
this is the feeder that hangs just above my fence - the squirrels run all along the top of the fence to get to it. I switched to safflower seed, which just made the squirrels come in to the closer feeders - so switched back to BOSS, and so did the squirrel

Thumbnail by debi_k

this is where I hung my peanut silo - do you think its too close to the little play house? The squirrels were jumping from the roof to this feeder - they seem to leave it alone now since I gave them back their BOSS. I hung safflower in its place for awhile til they went back to the other feeder.

Thumbnail by debi_k
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

This is my 'feeder tree'. Having to learn to deal with squirrels, chipmonks and raccons has been a learning expeience for me this summer here at our new house. So after a lot of trial and error this has worked the best. The tube and the tray feeder hang from branch hooks so that i can reach them by standing on a chair. I am only 5'1''!

The tube is a Droll Yankee with a seed catch tray on the bottom and I put a no waste blend in it. I plan on replacing this one soon as it is hard to clean out the bottom because you have to undo screws and then try to get it back together. Will be getting one that the bottom just pops off! No other critters bother this one.

The hanging tray is from WBU and I love it. I put BOSS and peanut pieces in it plus add other goodies if I have things on hand. Raisins or other nuts or maybe just some of the no waste blend or nut and berry blend. I have had a couple of squirrels make it jumping into this one, but most of them miss and don't bother trying again!! lol I do have to bring it in at night because of the raccons, so I just put enough food for the day in it.

The WP feeder has suet of course and the variety changes every week. I want to get another one of these, maybe the double one. This is from WBU and is made from recycled plastic and I really like it too. This has to be brought in at night too due to the raccons. They tore up several cheaper metal suet cages I left out overnight.

There is also a thistle feeder on a hook futher back as the gold finch seem to prefer to not be eating right around the others!

We round it out with 3 hummingbird feeders. 1 out the back window, 1 out on the front porch w/window viewing. and one on the side. We will be adding more next year!!!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Which birds eat the safflower seeds? Maybe I'll fill one with that, so the squirrels will let the birds eat in peace.

I've only had cardinals and chickadees eat the safflower - but I've read here that other birds also do.

Marlton, NJ

House Finch like it too.

Ooops, nanny wheres your pic??

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Ahhh, thanks! We use the black oil seeds in all of the feeders, but I'll get some safflower for one of them. Glad I looked at this thread!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Dang!! Don't you hate when that happens!!! LOL

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

I need to take some better pictures now that I have a new camera but I just love this feeder. My DH got it for me for mother's day. It sits right in the kitchen window. We had it up for over two months and not a single bird. We were discussing taking it down when, low and behold, I walked into the kitchen one day to see a bird flying out!! Since then we have had Gold Finches, House Sparrow, Chickedee, Nuthatch, Purple Finches and once in a great while we even have had a cardnal couple visit. We have a mixed wild bird seed, extra thistle seeds and sunflower seeds in the feeder. If you want to see more pictures, and even some videos, you can see them at http://picasaweb.google.com/sjweld/Nature

Thumbnail by sjweld
Marlton, NJ

Hi sjweld! thats a pretty unigue bird feeder!

I checked out your videos and some more pics; very nice!

Thanks so much for posting to show us your setup! Pelle

Corinth, NY(Zone 4b)

What? I am not a bird??? :)

Thumbnail by Candy

"Who said so?"

Thumbnail by
Corinth, NY(Zone 4b)

LOL! That picture is sooooo cute!!!!!!

Marlton, NJ

LOL! Very cute pic Candy!

I know some folks don't like Chippies but I think their adorable!

Thanks for the pic! Pelle

LOL, Nice reply Frank!

This message was edited Sep 18, 2007 7:57 AM

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

His little cheeks are sooo stuffed!! :)

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Pelletory, thanks! I can't believe we were about to take the feeder out of the window and feeling like we were taken and shouldn't have waisted money on the feeder in the first place! It took them a long time to find it but once they did, WOW. The glass is one way so the birds don't see inside and you can really get right up to the side to watch. They do still hear though so you have to be quiet!! I will try to get a few better pictures today. I got a new camera a couple weeks ago!! :) DH got me that too.

Corinth, NY(Zone 4b)

I had one of those feeders, the only complaint I had with them is that they let the cold air in much more. But, I loved it. So now I have the big feeder right off the back porch so all I have to do is look out the sliders and it is right there.

Candy

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Yeah, we are mounting it on a bracket just outside the window for winter. Next summer it will go back into the window though.

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

I took some better (I think) pictures today. Here is one of them and the rest are now on my picasa link in my thread above.

Thumbnail by sjweld
Corinth, NY(Zone 4b)

I love chickadees, they are so cute. They are quick too. Do you have alot of them at your feeder? Nice picture :)

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

We get a lot of chickadees and nuthatches. I like them too. Thanks!! :)

Coquitlam, BC(Zone 7b)

That's a very pretty feeder, sjweld. Debilu, your lantern-looking one is also a nice one.

I've been tempted to make my own feeder. Nothing too hard; I've never worked with wood. The birds really like the gazebo so I'm thinking a platform one.

I'm sorry, what is BOSS? I see that word a lot. Is that a name brand? An acronym?

Marlton, NJ

BOSS-Black Oil Sunflower Seed :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.