September's Daily Weather 2, a welcome cooling?

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Temperature is back to normal.

Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on September 24, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
81 °F / 27 °C
Clear
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 40 °F / 4 °C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the South

Sharon, where in the Valley does your friend live? I live in the Valley, too.

We went hiking today. I thought that the colors in this spot where nice - subtle, but nice.

Thumbnail by Kelli

common madia - small but cute

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

In a normal year 97° is pushing the limits of hot here even in August.
Though this year we've been in the upper 90's dozens of times.
This blows the old record of 91° (set in 1908) out of the park.
It's still 90° at 8 PM ....
The Average normal High temp for this time of year is 75°, Low 54°.
We'll see that on Friday then at least thru the weekend.

So far for Sept we've been over 90 degrees about 50% of the time.
The first week and then the last 7 days..
In fact we've only had 4 days under 85.... that's hot even for August here!
And worse only .66 inches of rain all Sept.
If anyone has a green lawn they've been watering like crazy.
Most look like brown carpets.

I'll get some tree shots hopefully tomorrow.
There won't be much color this year.
Probably 50% of the leaves have already fallen.
This is really a problem as the added sunlight is cooking everything usually shaded.
Add no rain and we're rapidly approaching CA fire conditions.

I'd say after this winter the deer populations will be greatly thinned.
And the Coyote population should soar.
There just isn't any Fall undergrowth coming up for them to feed on.
We're already seeing them on the lawns during the day.

An odd affect of this drought... the Raptors are everywhere.
Hawks, Falcons and Owls are cleaning up w/ this new open canopy.

A Broad-winged Hawk is living near us and cleaning up at the bird feeders next door.
He's picking off Robins almost daily as they feed on the ground.
I've even seen him perched on our new Entryway several times.
Of course by the time I get my Camera he's history! LOL!

Ric

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Still 80s here but should start cooling down tomorrow.

Same here with the colors. In some places it will be good but we are already losing leaves and lots of them. No walnuts anymore either.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

One of the neat things we have every Fall is watching the acorns rain down on the house across from us, then bounce off the gutters
At times they literally RAIN down in a steady stream.
Haven't seen a one this year.....

Well at least w/ the Ohio River here we don't have water rationing...yet....

Ric

We have acorns at work. I know what you mean about them though. Every year the walnuts scare us to death when they fall on the roof because they are so big and loud. lol. They thump, then roll. Haven't heard a one this year. We had a few but only a few. normally can't walk in back yard around this time of year due to walnuts. This year I can. I feel sorry for the squirrels.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
The house I grew up in had a huge Black Walnut covering almost the whole backyard.
I'd cut the grass in the Fall , after a VERY careful search for the nuts, wearing a hard hat.

Fall on our roof and then roll down the gutters to the downspout.
We finally took them off because they kept getting clogged.

We always had at least one pair of white squirrels along w/ the dozen or so regular colored ones.
They got very tame and we'd feed them apple slices by hand.

Then of course the harvest would start and it was every squirrel for themselves!

Ric

Hard hats for sure!!! LOL. It is really strange not hearing the squirrels chasing them and not waking up in the middle of the night thinking something just blew up.

Don't have to worry about the downspouts here cause my dad put screens on them so they wouldn't clog as quickly. Easier to clean too.

(Zone 3b)

Thanks, MySharona - I do cards for my own use - still like the old-fashioned way of communicating, too. The butterfly looks so pretty; my 6 yold gdaughter brought home a library book about butterflies,- I'll show her your picture, too.
Kelli~it's very pretty, there are so many different types of plants and shades of colors, to see; the little yellow is quite bright.
Henryr10 and pepper23 -- very interesting reading; about the danger of dropping walnuts and acorns. Who'd thought:) Too bad though, the heat is causing such damage in so many different ways.
7:30pm~~47* ~ no wind,no rain. loss of 5minutes48seconds daylight today.
Taken in August....
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark, 62°(F)

Went to UVa yesterday, all is well eith the new hip, have to go back 12/18/07 for clearance to return to work.

Hay fever acting up, took a couple of pills for it, they make me tired so I'm back to bed for awhile.

Everyone have a good day.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 81%
Wind: 0° (N) at 0mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.24in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 60°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 85°F
Dew Point: 59°
Visibility: 9mi
Ceiling: 3900ft
Heat Index: 65°
Wind Chill: 65°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 65°F
6hr High Temp: 77°F

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

We had another freeze last night - this time enough to make a thin crust of ice on the pond - many of the perennials are toast this morning. 33°F, sunny and almost calm, 0 - 4 mph from the south. Sunrise was at 7:19 am and sunset will be at 7:20 pm.

Ric and Pepper - so sorry to hear that heat and drought are making such an impact on wildlife and plants - interesting about the walnuts.

Thanks Kiska and Sharon - no we didn't make the bridge but it fit's perfectly ;-)

Here's the perennial bed I was reorganizing. I made a very narrow path through it to make it more accessible for weeding and moved things around and took some out. Hope it'll look better next year ;-) Photo was taken on Sunday before the frost.

Have a great day!

Thumbnail by rannveig
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Kelli – They lived in Glendale, but moved 3 years ago to Phoenix. I loved going to the Valley, such a pretty and interesting area. I never saw any movie stars, but the scenery was plenty for me. We went once during the Santa Ana winds, it was hot and windy. Pretty yellow flower!
Ric & Pepper - I guess the warming trend has really hit your area. Like Rann said, it's terrible how much it has affected the wildlife and plants. Although we get beaned by acorns all the time! Live Oaks = tons of acorns and the squirrels are very busy! I guess the price of walnuts is going to go up this year.
Kiska – The butterfly is a Gulf Fritillary, Lady Margaret is its host plant. That’s a lovely picture.
Dyson – Congratulations! It sounds like you are doing a great job in the rehab department. Keep up the good work, but try not to over do anything.

75.7 °F / 24 °C
Clear
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 58 °F / 15 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 °F / 25 °C
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Isolated showers in the morning...then scattered showers in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Greetings,
It looks overcast right now. Just my luck to be home on a cloudy day.
I am having some trouble getting totally upright this morning so I am considering disability.
79.3 °F / 26.3 °C
Haze
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 68 °F / 20 °C
Wind: 3.6 mph / 5 km/h from the North
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C
Ric I know you work outside too, how do you maintain in that heat?
;)

(Zone 5a)

Here's a weather update: it's 42°F, sunny and west wind 2-4 mph (calm) :-)

(Zone 3b)

8:30am, 41*, rain no wind.
will get back later.
Hello all...
Kiska

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi,guys!It's getting warmer here,about 77at noon and sunny,but only 50 in the morning.
Love your pictures,so gorgeous !
Sharon, have you seen these pics?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/771700/

I've been at the Skoda car service shop yesterday , all morning, for a malfunction at the lights.We bought a car radio-CD for Cici's fun,so he won't get bored when waiting for me in the car...especially when he comes with me at mom's ! And,if this wasn't enough, all afternoon I had to play with the new "toy" and figure out how it works...sheesh !

Another view from the park .
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi all:
At work, 4PM , wanting a nap.

87°F
Ptly Cloudy
Wind: N at 5 mph
Humidity: 51%

Deb

(Zone 3b)

This afternoon it's up to 45* and looks as if that's it for the day...gray, wet, snow line moved way down...
Adina - have you figured out all the buttons/etc on the new radio/CD? They sure can be a bit of "work", at least for me. Pretty park...hope your mother is still doing well.
hi Deb - off work soon? and a nap sure sounds good on this gray day:)) Even the colorful leaves can't quite rise to the occassion and brighten it up.
Cotton grass gone to seed in the foreground. Hope to remember to go there next summer when it's blooming.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Sidney – Hope you are felling better. You’ve been going non-stop for months, maybe you need some time off to relax and play in the garden.
Adina – one word – WOW! His garden is inspiring! I hope we’ll get to see the show when it’s aired. And the music – I love it! You (and Boss) are so luck to have such a pretty park so close. I hope your mom is still doing well. Did you figure out all the controls for the CD player?!
Deb – LOL! I felt that way too!
Kiska – Another beautiful picture! Saving that one! I think the leaves are doing just fine.

Now
Through 730 PM...showers and isolated thunderstorms continue to move in from the Atlantic moving as far west as the Suwannee Valley. The heaviest activity was moving into Fernandina Beach...Yulee and Amelia Island. Most of the showers are falling apart as they move inland. Showers continue in the coastal waters from offshore Fernandina Beach to Palm Coast. The showers will be brief but heavy and will continue to move west at 15 to 20 miles an hour.

74.7 °F / 23.7 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 70 °F / 21 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 74 °F / 23 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3000 ft / 914 m
Mostly Cloudy 12000 ft / 3657 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms early in the evening...then scattered showers. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s inland...in the mid 70s coast. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph decreasing to around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 40 percent.

We just had a little 30 minute downpour. We've had several of them off and on during the day. Of course I watered the lawn this morning!

I thought this cloud looked like Jaws

Thumbnail by MySharona
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi, everyone! I've gotten way behind again.

Sidney, disability?? Did I miss something? Did you get hurt at your job?

Dyson, I'm glad the hospital said your new hip is doing well! Hopefully you're feeling well enough to actually start enjoying your enforced vacation. Sorry about the hay fever though.. ugh.

Grammy Joey, is the baby home now? :-)

Sharon, I'm SURE I posted a "WOW!" to the first bloom picture, but I don't see it now. So.. WOW!! Those are gorgeous!

Kiska, Rann, Kelli, Adina, and Deb, I love all of your pictures. I'm sure that rain was more than welcome, Kelli!

Ric, I can't believe how hot is was there yesterday! Is it cooler today?

We're in the midst of our normal late summer/early fall weather pattern... Highs in the lower 90s, lows in the low 70s, 20% chance of rain, and 2 tropical storms bouncing around to keep an eye on. Yep.. perfectly normal! LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 5:53pm CDT (17 min ago)
Temperature 87 °F 31 °C
Dew Point 72 °F 22 °C
Humidity 60%
Pressure 29.96 in 1014.5 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir E 100°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 94 °F 34 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 73.0°F / 22.8°C

Marylyn - Thanks! The blooms are huge and beautiful and they smell soooo good! I'm so lucky I was able to grow them.

The 3rd bud is getting ready to bloom

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Today was a little better then got REAL Better.
We maxed out at around 85° by 3 PM.
Then some rain started moving in... first a short heavy burst.
Then around 6 PM a series of 15 minute heavy rains/ 15 minutes clear lines moved in.
They are still going on.
So we probably have an inch or so all told so far.

The place I've been working is climate controlled.
Due to holding metal tolerances and keeping rust down it's a constant 72 w/ a low humidity in there.
I've been doing a little iron working.
Hanging I beams and putting up support posts.
Also a little welding... but in that climate.... a snap.

Now yard work in all this heat..... we pick the projects to follow the shade.
It may be mid 90's but in the shade and as we've been outdoors all Summer you get used to it.
Also on weekends or off days following a Mediterranean work schedule helps.
We start work around 9:30 and knock off around 3:30.
Siesta and early dinner.
Back out around 6 for the clean-up. Then a movie or TiVo...
Then after dark it's sit around the yard and/or Hot Tub time.
We usually go back in around Midnight.

Ahhhh it's raining again

Ric

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: Gorgeous!

No rain for us since early last week. Spent 2 hours out there watering after I got home from work.
We have a good chance toward the end of this week. Sure hope so.

While I was watering though, I did receive a reward. A Gulf Fritillary (I think)! First one I've ever seen in my garden and I was surprised. Anyone know what their preferred host plants are?
The light was low and he was skittish, so this is the best pic I could get.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Ric when you are done with the rain send whatever is left this way - please.

76° (F), dark

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 54%
Wind: 0° (N) at 3mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.15in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 60°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 85°F
Dew Point: 63°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 82°
Wind Chill: 81°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 80°F
6hr High Temp: 93°F

The preferred food plant of gulf fritillary caterpillars is passion flower. The adults aren't so picky. I see them around here on things like lantana.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Kelli. I was thinking that I don't have any of the caterpillars' faves, so I was so pleasantly surprised to see this one (he was flitting around the angelonia). Maybe someone in my neighborhood has passion flowers.
Deb

Started out in the 70s this morning with scattered heavy rains. Then around noon the cold front moved in and we were back to the 60s. Probably will be in the high 50s tonight.

Ric – So glad you are getting some rain. I hope the heat abates soon.
Deb – Yes – that is a GF! We always have at least 10 in the yard. There are several plants they love. Here is a web-site link http://www.floridata.com/tracks/butterfly/gulf_fritillary.cfm
Dyson - I'll start the rain dance again!
Pepper - Ahhhhh - 60's sounds wonderful and such a nice weather break for you!

73.2 °F / 22 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 92%
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 70 °F / 21 °C
Clouds: Few 2400 ft / 731 m
Scattered Clouds 10000 ft / 3048 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Scattered showers in the morning...then scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s inland... in the mid 80s coast. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

The Mandevilla is blooming better this year.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's raining, SE winds at 27 - 33 mph and 50°F.

Sharon - that Mandevilla is beautiful :-)

Kiska - wonderful photo :-)

Sidney - hope you'll feel better soon!

Ric - so glad you finally got some rain! :-) and Pepper - good that things have cooled down :-)

I have a birthday party to prepare for this weekend so I better get cracking ...

hope you all have a great day!

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! :D It's 68* at the moment w/ rain expected for tomorrow (I hope). We haven't had Ric's temps, but they have still been record breakers! The normal highs for this time of year is an average of 71* yesterday it was 85*.

JW is Home! :D He came home yesterday. The nurses took his IV out Monday evening, so nice to hold him without him being attached to something! :D
Rann, Sorry about the freeze, but I suppose it was to happen sometime soon, huh? But you have some great fall colors there!:D
Kiska, Great Shots as always! :D I wish that we could have some of your fall colors! :-O
Sharon, Your Brugs! Wow! Any more little buds popping out? :D
Deb, such a pretty BF! We have some flying around here, but alas, I've been to busy to go chasing them.
Sidney? Did you get hurt at work? Please try to take care!
Dyson! Great news about your UVA visit! :D Do you think that you can stand being off from work until Dec? Hve an even speedier recovery! :D
Pepper sounds like you're getting more normal temps! :D

Todays trivia is...
What is the estimated total volume of water in the earth's atmosphere?
a) 340,000 million gallons
b) 3,400,000 million gallons
c) 3,400,000 billion gallons
d) 3,400,000 trillion gallons

Have a Great Day All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Rather hot again

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on September 26, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
89 °F / 32 °C
Clear
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 34 °F / 1 °C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the South

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: Thanks or the link. Going to check it out and see if it's something I planted, and if not, going to plant something. :)
Rann: 50F sounds pretty good, but maybe not with 30mph winds. Have a fun party!
Joey: You must be very happy to have the little one out of the hospital. Glad he's doing well. For the trivia I'll make a wild stab at a guess and say "C".

Still warm here too, Kelli.
Ptly cloudy.
Hi was 87 today.
Low tonight 67.
No rain in 10 days.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Rann – Thanks! The Mandevilla has a sweet scent. Your garden is so pretty with the Fall colors.
Joey – YAY!! Congratulations again – JW is home! I know you are ecstatic! Be sure to post more pics of him. No buds yet, but it’s getting a daily dose of fertilizer to ensure more buds. The Trivia – I’m clueless – going with D.
Kelli – It’s hot here too :P

79.2 °F / 26.2 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 73%
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 4.9 mph / 7.9 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms early in the evening...then isolated showers. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows around 70 inland...in the lower 70s coast. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the north after midnight. Chance of rain 50 percent.

The 3rd bud is blooming - here you can see where it starts to turn pink at the tips (around 5:30pm)

This message was edited Sep 26, 2007 8:55 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well officially we got .39" of rain.
Here we got 1.1".

Temps were a lot better today and we/ve been getting a lot of Flash and Boom this evening.
No more rain though....
Temps are supposed to be cooler but still 10 degrees hotter than normal.
So low to mid 80's for a week or so.....

Ric

Yay! Rain!

(Zone 3b)

once again~~so far behind, and I don't mean just time zones:))
The day got away, but loved reading everyone's posts..mygosh there's beautiful pics here....(and hot weather in some places:))
47*~~5:30pm; heavy rain with the clouds' snowline way down ~~
It's exciting to watch as the snow makes it way to the valley floor...
Note how level the cloud-line is - when they lift, that's where the snow will be.
The storm clouds near the small "Butte" were gorgeous..
Sidney~~hope you're doing bette now..
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hello! Well we hit the 90* mark, but it cooled down a little this evening & we had some sprinkles. We're supposed to have some good rain tomorrow. :D I'm ready to give up on my annuals...way too dry. My water bill is gonna be sky high!

Kiska! That is an amazing picture! WOW!! Were you standing on your deck? That is so neat!
Deb, It's great to have him home. :D Is that a coleus ? Beautifully rich colors!
Ric, glad that you got the rain! :D I hope that it's what we're to get tomorrow! :D & I hope our temps cool down too.
Sharon, your Brugs are Gorgeous! I really Love that pink! :D I'll need to take more pics of him. I have some on the camera that I haven't put them in the computer yet...tomorrow.
Kelli? Did you mean that you got somemore rain or that your'e happy for Ric? (I think that I know the answer ;)....Ya see, I'm scatter-brained in my old age! LOL :D

Speaking of the answer...the trivia is...C
The water in atmosphere is primarily composed of water vapor.

Nite All...
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

I'm happy for Ric. No rain here.

(Zone 3b)

Deb- that deep purple is fantastic- beautiful with the sunlight on it, too. Maybe rain soon?
MySharona ~ your flower just gets prettier by the day - what fun to share in this; loved "jaws" too.
Rann - how are the b'day party plans going? Your garden is so pretty, and I meant to mention how well the little bridge fit that area..how nice to have it.
Ric - what a schedule to try to keep up with. Working in the heat would be so unpleasant. Glad there was some rain...add my "yayy" to kelli's.
m2k~~that photo is gorgeous - (kinda like JW)
and yes, you know my view; it's from the deck..the rain shower was highlighted by the sun and so really caught my eye as I was in the house.
It's still in the low 40's, nearly dark but not raining at the moment.
Massive hanging glacier..photo taken 9-17
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Today's Forecast: Thursday, 27 Sep 2007
85°F
61°F

Sky Conditions: Isolated Thunderstorms
Sunrise: 7:11 am Sunset: 7:09 pm
Wind: W (265°) @ 8Mph (12Km, 6Kts)
Precipitation Probability: 30%

dark