September's Daily Weather 2, a welcome cooling?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL. Good one Deb!!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Dyson - LOL!! Three years ago I was finally able to get the car of my dreams. DH borrowed it 3 weeks after I bought it. "I'm just going to the airport and back, the truck is too heavy with my tools in it." So I said "ok".

A little history of the island. We have a paper mill here and the logging trucks run day and night --- fast. They move fast because they are paid on the number of loads they bring to the mill. It's dangerous and many people have been injured or have died from the accidents these trucks cause.

Back to the story:
DH is on his way back home and lo and behold there's a logging truck 1 vehicle ahead of him. A log fell off the truck bounced on the road, the SUV in front of DH ran over the log and off the road, DH swerved to miss the log, but another log bashed into my hood and cracked the windshield of my NEW car. The driver of logging truck just kept on going. Everyone said it happened so fast no one could get a tag number.

1) DH lived to tell the tale and I am very thankful for it!
2) DH rarely gets to drive my car anywhere...

This message was edited Sep 22, 2007 8:44 PM

(Zone 3b)

Dyson - doesn't that sound good --- to be able to run again, even if it's just alongside:)
Deb - thanks for the heads up as to the moon - a few more hours and we can check it out, too.
And, I'll toss a cup in your honor when the time comes:) Wow - that's some shade of red; just great.
MySharona - quite a lucky guy you've got:))
Trees along the Little Susitna river.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Actually I would be very content just to get my Shadow Reassembled and road ready by springtime (hopefully next spring instead of a later one).

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It was quite windy last night. It's calmed a bit although still quite blustery. The cloudcover is thin enough for the sun to shine through a bit so it's very bright outside and 49°F.

Thanks Kelli :-) I'm so glad you got some rain! :-) Beautiful banana tree.

Deb - thanks. I also have to treat tulips like annuals since the summers aren't warm enough for them to store enough energy for next year's bloom. They usually come up again but only flower really small flowers if at all so I always have to yank them out (except the Darwin ones, those last a few years) . I've pretty much stopped planting them, I prefer the daffodils since they're perennial - but Hildur Eva just LOVES tulips so I let her plant her own ;-) Beautiful impatience :-)

Sharon - that brug is so pretty - such a gorgeous color :-) Great cloud photos as well. I know what you mean about being happy that summer's over - it's definately NOT the best season in Florida ;-) I really liked the winters down there :-)

Kiska - beautiful photos :-)

Berries on Sorbus koehneana.

Hope you all have a great day!

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin' Everybody! We have fog & a temp of 60.

Thank you all for your well wishes. Emily & Little Buddy didn't get to come home, they still want to watch him some more. I think that I should be asking some questions, but can't seem to be there when the Dr. is. I will try to "grill' the nurses in hopes of getting answers.

Sharon! It's Beautiful! :D I thought that it was gonna be some form of yellow too, but I absolutey Love the pink! :D Great Clouds! And I'm so glad that your DH survived the logging truck! (cars can be replaced) :-O
Kiska, I Love the golden trees on the Little Susitna! They contrast so well with the green in the back ground! :D And I admit that I think of your coffee trick too when you speak of cold weather! :D
Rann, Are those berries edible? They (to me) would make some great decorations! :D
Deb, I Love yellow tulips! & your Impatience are so pretty! :D
Kelli! Yeay! I'm so glad that you got all that rain! It sounds as if it has definitely raised your spirits! :D Will things (flowers) be "popping?
Dyson, Sorry to hear about the leak in DW's new car. I imagine that you will get to ride in it at some point! And if not, then...that's when I would just get the Shadow up & running & ask her if she's ready to race ya! :D

I have some trivia for ya today.
During the period between 1645 and 1715 few, if any, sunspots were observed. This period is called what?
a) Picard's Climate
b) Sunless Skies
c) Maunder Minimum
d) Newton's Nightmare

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

68°(F), bright,sunny, blu skies.

The sun roof is supposed to be repaired now so we are waiting for a good rain for a test.

There is no way that Yaris could keep up with the bike.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 84%
Wind: 0° (N) at 0mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.24in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 63°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 89°F
Dew Point: 60°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 65°
Wind Chill: 65°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 64°F
6hr High Temp: 70°F

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dyson: You have to post a photo of you on that bike when the time comes! You and the Shadow - back on the road!
Joey: I totally guessing "C", just for the alliteration. :) Ferns are so cool, aren't they?
Rann: I didn't realize that about tulips. I think of them as a cold climate bulb. Learning everday, me.

Sunny at 84F, on the way up to 90. Very little chance of rain.

Joey: Here are some fern spores for you, too.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

First I'm gonna guess (d) on today's trivia.
Sharon I was too pooped to send your picture of the vine to Jeremy, but now I can't locate it. He and Judy (Juja) are our resident Master Gardeners and may know.
This last week was a killer as the temps creeped back up to 95º. It's been overcast out until now and not too hot today.
84.0 °F / 28.9 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 68 °F / 20 °C
Wind: 2.2 mph / 3 km/h from the NE
Wind Gust: 10.1 mph / 16 km/h
Went to a great quilt show yesterday. Over 500 quilts.
Here is one I think you'll like.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi,everyone !
Gramma Joey, I'm sorry they are still keeping little Buddy and Emily in the hospital.He is so beautiful !
Kelli,I'm so happy our dance has worked out !
Sharon,oh,I'm glad your DH is OK ! He really was lucky ! Sorry for your car ! The brug is huge !Love the clouds formation!
Rann, cute berries !
Kiska,wonderful autumn pics !
Deb,love the impatiens !

A beautiful day here,sunny and warm,no wind, no cloud! I took a tour of the park with my dog,Boss and his friends.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

A beautiful sunny morning !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Yellow leaves !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The fountain !

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 3b)

Adina ~~ the colors are beginning in a beautiful way...looks like Boss and friends have been playing ball; is that a tennis ball near them?
Glad you've got good weather to enjoy today. Sure makes it better.
It's in the 40's here, mostly cloudy, no wind.
What a beautiful quilt, Sugarweed..bet it was hard to view them all; more than a one day event?
Love the fern/spores, Deb; everything seems to contain an element of beauty in the most unusual way.
Rann - blustery winds~~not fun:)) Love the berry pic.
Joey - sorry the baby is not home yet; but soon? Hope Emily is doing ok. Sunspot activity will soon begin here, the early warnings on the radio have begun. It lasts a week or so, then communications are back to normal. How about down there? Affected by them this time of year, too? I'll guess A just because...The fern is fragile and beautiful; much like JW>
Dyson~~that's sure something to look forward to..both the bike and with the repair.
A large rock slide has changed the face of "my" mountain, Pioneer Peak.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We got a total of 1.2 inches of rain Friday and Saturday. Just to put that into perspective, that is over 1/3 of the total amount that we got in the whole year before. Thanks for the dancing everyone.

Kiska, I don't know about the Sierras, but no snow in the mountains around here. I don't think that the extra cold that was advertised earlier in the week materialized.

Joey, although it rained, the wildflowers won't come until ~March. I don't know if the grass will start to green up or not. It is probably best that it doesn't, since we might not get rain again until November.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on September 23, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
70 °F / 21 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 46 °F / 8 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s from the West

We went to the beach today. It was warmer there than at home. I'm not sure why.

Thumbnail by Kelli

I'm not sure what this is called, but it is normal for it to bloom this time of year.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2007 2:43 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Deb – I can’t take the Summer heat anymore. It’s just too me for me.
Rann – Very pretty and unusual white berries! Are they edible?
Joey – I’m sorry JW didn’t get to go home yet. I agree, it sounds to me like it’s time GrannyJoey to step in! Pretty fern. I going with C also – I’m clueless!
Sidney – That quilt is stunning! Where was the quilt show?
Adina – Great pics – Boss look slike he’s having a grand time with his buds! The fountain is amazing!
Kiska - Did you see the rockslide when it happened? Great picture!
Kelli – Congratulations on the rain! Where are all the people in the beach pic? Looks like a picture perfect day for sunbathing. Is that a succulent? Very pretty yellow blooms.

82.2 °F / 27 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 69 °F / 21 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 3.6 mph / 5 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 87 °F / 30 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3200 ft / 975 m
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s. Northeast winds 5 mph.

The high today was 85, but it felt hotter withe the humidity added in. It was very muggy this morning and afternoon, but was better later in the afternoon. Went for a bike ride.

Great Egret...

Thumbnail by MySharona

Anhinga

Thumbnail by MySharona

Pampas Grass

Thumbnail by MySharona

Roseate Spoonbills

Thumbnail by MySharona

Another - Looks like he's conducting an orchestra!

Thumbnail by MySharona

One more - I've been trying to get good pics of these birds for the longest time. Had to sneak up on them in the marsh.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2007 9:05 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

I've told y'all about the beach erosion that's been going on for a couple of years due to a couple of years of storms coming through. Well, there is a beach restoration deal going on now. In this picture if you look between the first 2 poles way out in the water you --- you can see two "dots". Oceanographers (I think) are dredging sand up for the bottom of the ocean to the beach.

Youcan also see rust colored pipes on the shore through which the sand is being pumped.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2007 7:09 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

Here is a picture of the pipe down the beach

Thumbnail by MySharona

And here is where the pipe ends. You can see where the sand is coming out at the water line

Thumbnail by MySharona

One more pic looking back towards the rig in the ocean

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kiska - Here are the other 2 buds on the brug.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Sharon, there were people at the beach but not a lot. This particular beach is not all that popular and most of the people who do come stay fairly close to the parking lot, though there is about a mile of beach to spread out on. Because of the terrain and vegetation, this beach is only accessible from a couple places. You'll see what I mean in this photo. http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=3738&mode=big&lastmode=sequential&flags=0&year=2002 Even if you park on the street, which we do since it's free, you still enter the beach from nearly the same spot as the people who use the pay lot. Also, I think there is some mindset among people that you don't go to the beach after Labor Day, especially if it isn't hot.

The plant isn't a succulent. It's just a regular plant.

The bird in this picture is a marbled godwit.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2007 6:08 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

These are gulls and cormorants. We don't have anything glamourous like spoonbills.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! We had a beautiful day w/ a high of 85*. Really nice outside.

I got to talk to the Dr. today. And got the answers I was looking for. and I understand why she wants JW to stay until Tuesday morning. A culture wasn't sent by the nurse at his delivery (as she was told), so he needs to stay to eliminate a secondary infection. That's about as simple as I can put it without boring you all to tears. ~ So day after tomorrow!!! :D

Great pics Sharon! I'm glad that you finally got those birds to pose! ;)
Kelli, I love that little yellow flower. The bloom sort of does resemble a succulent bloom.
Kiska, That looks like a massive slide! It looks as if the top & both sides came down! :-O We don't get sunspot warnings here. There is some interference, tho (as far as radio & cellphone signals go) but no body pays much attention to it.
Adina! I Love that Fountain! Wow! and Great fall pics! :D
Sidney, I gotta tell ya...The pic of that quilt put a great big smile on my face! How appropriate! :D I have to ask (& you may or may not know) was it stained? (w/tea?) I think it gives things such an antique appearance. Love it! :D
Deb, What kind of fern is that? Really different! :D And yes Ferns are really cool! :D
Dyson, I think we'll get some rain soon for you to try it out, altho we got almost 1/2" yesterday. I know it's not much, but better than nothing! ;)

The answer to the trivia is...C
The Maunder Minimum corresponded with the Little Ice Age during the 17th century.

Good Nite All!
Joey

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's still very blustery, sunny and 42°F - feels really cold since the wind is blowing from the north. It was quite windy again last night - there were wind gusts recorded up to 105 mph last night just outside of Reykjavik - close to Mt. Esja. That place is notorious for high wind speeds - something to do with the mountain. It isn't nearly as windy here about 17 - 35 mph depending on location.

So many wonderful photos to admire this moring :-)

Adina - love the photos from the park :-)

Sharon - great photos! Love the spoonbills - especially the "conductor" - that one made me giggle ;-)

Kelli - beautiful beach :-) Looks really nice with so few people ;-)

Sidney - that flower quilt is AMAZING!!! I don't know how anyone could have the patience to do that ...... absolutely stunning! It looks impossible to me! lol

Joey - so glad JW gets to come home tomorrow!! :-)

I took this photo yesterday looking down my street .

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Thumbnail by rannveig

Kelli – I never realized how difficult it would be to get to the beach in CA! I visited some friends a couple of years back in The Valley and it didn’t dawn on me until now that we never visited the beaches.
GrannyJoey to the rescue! Shame on that nurse. We’re praying that JW will get his infection cleared up and go home soon!
Rann- - I’m glad you aren’t getting those winds! Fall is really showing on your street. What hedges are the red ones? They’re glorious!

77.9 °F / 25 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 73 °F / 23 °C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 80 °F / 27 °C
Visibility: 0.5 miles / 0.8 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 300 ft / 91 m

Now
Fog will likely impact much of southeast Georgia and northeast Florida through around sunrise...with visibilities locally reduced to one-half mile or less. Motorists are urged to use extra caution as the visibility can vary considerably over short distances. The fog will likely be thickest near lakes...ponds...rivers and low spots in the roadway. Use low-beam headlights when traveling through the fog. A dense fog advisory may be required later tonight for portions of the area. Visibilities are expected to improve after 8 am EDT.

Today
Areas of fog early in the morning. Becoming partly cloudy and breezy. Highs in the upper 80s. East winds increasing to 15 to 20 mph

Thanks everyone! The Roseate Spoonbills show up a couple of times a year, they don’t stay long. Usually I see them at a distance at night and then they are difficult to get pictures of. When I say I’ve been trying a long time to get good pictures of them, I mean 3 years! The first time I saw them I thought they were flamingos. Jeff and I had to lock our bikes to a tree and literally walk about 40' into the marsh to get the pics. They are so beautiful. In this picture you can see why they are called "spoonbill". Look at the first bird on the right bending over - it gives you a glimpse of the bill.

Thumbnail by MySharona

I have two blooms this morning!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

good morning --9:30, raining, 43*F and no wind..gray
MySharona ---what a great visit to your beaches and seeing the spoonbills-such a pretty color, my first thought was flamingo,too. Very interesting as to how the beaches are being rebuilt..thanks for the close-up view of how it's being accomplished. The brug blossoms are fantastic...strange sounding name for something so pretty. Foggy days are not good...
Kelli~~from the east coast to the west coast; loved the visit to your beach..the cliffs would be quite an obstacle; but nice to have it nearly to yourself and the birds.
Rann - what a pretty, neat neighborhood you live in. The red hedge is an eyecatcher, for certain...
Yesterday's drive...Knik Glacier-20 miles from Palmer; no road access to the glacier.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 5a)

Sharon - the red hedge is Cotoneaster lucidus (Hedge or Shiny Cotoneaster) - very popular here because of the brilliant red fall color ;-) The only time I saw a spoonbill (in the wild) was down in the Everglades - they're so pretty :-) You're lucky to have them visit so close to your home.

Joey and Sharon - I forgot to answer your question about the white Mountain Ash berries - I haven't tasted them, but I've heard that people have made jam from them - they make a pink jam which sounds very pretty. I think they're too pretty to pick ....... the birds eat them when they've finished with the red ones, which is usually after the leaves fall. For some reason there haven't been that many birds feasting so far this fall - it's very unusual ......... not sure why.

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Kiska - that's an awesome photo! :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kiska it's 97° degrees here!
You don't know how good that picture looks!!

Ric

(Zone 3b)

rann - thanks; I really like the looks there of your woodland setting and the bridge is perfect...did you make it?
ric - wow - 97* this late in September; normal for there?
It's noon here, and 46*...very low clouds but the rain has stopped.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Joey: That fern I posted is a Japanese Holly Fern. So glad your little JW can finally come home tomorrow!
Sharon- Two blooms - as pretty as the first!
Kiska_ Pretty photo of the glacier, but Brrrrr!
Rann: You've really got the fall color. Still green and very warm here, but not as warm as at Ric's! Our high today is just above 90. No rain.

Deb

Kiska – Wow! You’ve got Fall in front of the glacier and Winter on the glacier! Great picture! You really should consider a greeting card business. You have excellent scenery in your area. Just beautiful.
Rann – I love the pond and bridge in your garden. Very pretty!
Ric – We aren’t that hot anymore. I can’t imagine being that hot this late in September.
Deb – You were hotter than us as well. We topped off at 87.

Now
Through 9 PM...widely scattered showers will move into Lake Geneva and eastern Alachua County. Other showers in the Atlantic continue 30 miles east of Amelia Island. The showers have decreased in intensity and are moving west at 15 miles an hour.

80.1 °F / 26.7 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 64 °F / 18 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 4.9 mph / 7.9 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2800 ft / 853 m
Scattered Clouds 5000 ft / 1524 m
Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft / 3048 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Isolated showers and thunderstorms early in the evening. Isolated showers after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s inland...in the mid 70s coast. East winds 10 to 15 mph becoming northeast 5 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.