September's Daily Weather 2, a welcome cooling?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

We're still hanging in for some cooler weather. Please stop by often wiith your weather and great pictures.
This is one of my most favorite coleus, Tiny toes.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 3b)

Sugarweed - hope there'll be cooler weather there. Your little "tiny toes" is quite cute and colorful.
59*~~mostly sunny with dark clouds building above the mt. tops. 3:30pm.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Rann – OMG – “finally above 40”?! In September? I’m sure I’d break out in tears! Very pretty flowers.
Joey – DH is a dork and we all know it! He calls me a garden nerd! The bench looks like a great place to sit and relax for a while. I'm with Kiska – as long as you passed you did good, esp if you did better than you thought. Don’t be so hard on yourself (or Garrett)!
Pati – LOL!
Kiska – Those apples look tart and delicious…made my taste buds squirm thinking about tart though!
Deb –Thank you for the BF ID. I see them all the time, but never up close like that.
DYSON! – How are you?
Adina – The storm was bad, but could have been worse. It blew though pretty quickly and we got some much needed rain. Is that Cici(?) on the right in the picture? Who are the other 2 men measuring for windows/doors? Pretty wild flowers and sunset!
Sidney – I agree, feels like August again. :P The coleus is very pretty!

79.9 °F / 26.6 °C
Thunderstorm
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 75 °F / 24 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the South
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph / 13.4 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 85 °F / 29 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2000 ft / 609 m
Mostly Cloudy 5000 ft / 1524 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

We had a storm blow through earlier and hear another on coming now. A little lopsided, but you get the drift!

This message was edited Sep 14, 2007 7:37 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I worked on cleaning out a closet again today (3rd day) and finally finished it. Burned some good steaks for dinner, DW make the asparagus & potatoes to go with. Tired now need to lie down.

66°(F) Dark, and wet from this afternoons storm.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 87%
Wind: 0° (N) at 0mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 57°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 79°F
Dew Point: 64°
Visibility: 9mi
Ceiling: 1700ft
Heat Index: 68°
Wind Chill: 68°
6hr Precip: 0.3in
6hr Low Temp: 68°F
6hr High Temp: 71°F

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dyson: All things in time. We're thinking of you.
Kiska! Absolutely fab photo of the apples and your mountain.
Sidney: Tiny Toes is such a great name. It is a cute little thing.

Well I was hoping for the trifecta - rain 3 days in a row, but no such luck. Can't complain though because I didn't have to go lug the hose around this evening!! :)

Currently 82 but feels hotter cause of the humidity. Still - beats the 90s!

Window box impatiens, showing a little drought stress.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Dyson – You’re making progress! It took me 3 months to clean out one closet! I’d open the door, look in and close the door back praying that the closet cleaning fairies would finally stop by and do it for me. Unfortunately, they never did and I had to clean it 2 weeks ago.
Deb – Pretty impatiens! "Lugging the hose around" LOL! I've done that so much this summer.

75.4 °F / 24 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 92% - Can't imagine why it feels so warm and humid outside :P
Dew Point: 73 °F / 23 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 75 °F / 24 °C
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Mostly cloudy until late afternoon then becoming partly cloudy. A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 90. West winds 5 mph shifting to the north in the afternoon.

We received the promise rain yesterday. YAY! We've had 1.5" in the last 3 days. Niiiice!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark, 63°(F)

Finally broke down and ordered a fairly decent digital camera, figuring I'll have time to learn to operate it between now and whenever I can return to work.

On the closet - The youngest girl, who moved out to an apartment in Roanoke after she turned 18, left the closet "as is" meaning packed bottom to top. Emptying it was like walking backwards in time over the last seven years. Starting at the top with the "goth" stage and ending at the bottom with the "little girl cute" stage. For three days a friend stopped by at the end of the day to haul trash bags to the dumpster for me. The living room is completely packed, two large bags of clothing - what she does not want will go to good will, two bags of weird stuff (a neon sign thats says "keep out" comes too mind (If she does not want that I will keep it and figure out how to mount it on the computer room door)).

Anyways, it is a coolish 74° indoors and I probably will not get outdoors today as I had to make a bank/post office/hardware/grocery trip yesterday and am hurting pretty well without anymore pain killers. the weather is:

Relative Humidity: 81%
Wind: 280° (W) at 8mph
Pressure: 29.97in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 66°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 71°F
Dew Point: 61°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: 3900ft
Heat Index: 67°
Wind Chill: 67°
6hr Precip: 0.01in
6hr Low Temp: 66°F
6hr High Temp: 68°F

Dyson you are in my prayers.
RU to go to today
Sidney

Have fun Sidney - I'm working ... sigh and missing all the fun :(

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

"pattischell ~~do you plant the container tomatoes indoors? "

Kiska, Our "summer" growing season here is from approximately Oct to May. One of the largest crops are tomatoes, and they grow thousands of acres of them in Homestead FL (just south of Miami).

I grow mine in 5 gallon paint buckets sitting up on an old picnic table and have a bumper crop with no problem with any ground type pests.

As you can see, we are already having some "cool" days! LOL

83 °F / 28 °C
Clear
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 75 °F / 24 °C
Wind: Calm
Heat Index: 90 °F / 32 °C

Pati

(Zone 3b)

7:45am, 43*; heavy cloud cover with snowing across the mt tops now. Luckily, it won't be moving too far down for awhile.
Sunrise: 7:29, Sets: 8:20pm.
MySharona - I rather like the "tilted" look of the clouds/landscape; gives it a feel of motion. And, seeing water droplets on the leaves is very pretty.
Deb - thanks. How much longer do you expect to have to "lug the hose around"? Seem to forget that it's not cooling off too much yet. The impatiens are a "cute" little flower, too. Very pretty.
Dyson~~have fun w/new camera. What a good project to have finished; cleaning out the closet, even under the best of conditions, is never easy; hope you can ease up a bit now.
pattischell~~I should have given some more thought to that:)) Sounds like your method works well...but, gardening, much less tomatoes, during "winter", just doesn't come to mind:)
Have a great time today, Sugarweed.
about 7:30 last night at the river...
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: That's the way I clean out closets, too. :)
Dyson: You've accomplished more than I have this week, and I haven't got a good excuse. Looking forward to seeing some pics from your new camera.
Kiska: This must be the only time of year when our sunrise/sunset times are nearly the same. That is a fantastic picture! Might steal that for my "wallpaper". :)
Can someone explain to me in very simple words, what the dew point is. I've never understood it. :)

Currently:
81°F
Cloudy
Wind: N at 5 mph
Humidity: 74%
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 77 °F / 25 °C
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h
Pressure: 30.07 in / 1018.2 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 94 °F / 34 °C
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1800 ft / 548 m
Overcast 2300 ft / 701 m
(Above Ground Level)

Volunteer Morning Glory snuck in under my Mex. Petunias. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dew point basically means the temperature at which water vapor in the atmosphere will condense and become dew or frost depending on the temperature.

It is something to watch out for in non climate controlled structures housing equipment. Can really mess up your morning when you get to work and all your electronics (control panels, etc.) are flooded.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

"Tiny Toes" is cute, and so is the name. :-)

Nice weather today.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on September 15, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
86 °F / 30 °C
Clear
Humidity: 21%
Dew Point: 42 °F / 6 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SSE

We went hiking today. These are some kind of tiny asters. I don't know how anything can bloom at this time of year.

Thumbnail by Kelli

These are English walnuts. Obviously, there used to be a house here somewhere. I don't know how the tree survives now.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is a hummingbird nest. In season, around here there are a lot of red flowers called heart-leaf penstemon.

Thumbnail by Kelli

We saw a lot of deer tracks.

Thumbnail by Kelli

a pond - Here we saw a great blue heron chase off a hawk.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Apparently sometimes the water in the pond is up to the line on the rock.

Thumbnail by Kelli
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Well, temps supposed to hit 60s today. I think it did for a little while. Next week it is only supposed to be in the mid 80s now. Could change between now and Monday. You know how thay are. lol

(Zone 3b)

What a nice hike, Kelli..the deer tracks are so sweet with their heart-shape. The rock looks as if it had been carved at that level - very intersting. Thinking about a home/walnuts makes one wonder about the history of the area...who was it? are there relatives in the area yet; stuff like that...Were the deer tracks near the pond? Must be an active place for wildlife.
pepper23 - nice sounding temp; enjoy it ...
48* at 3pm, mostly cloudy w/some rain. No wind.
Last evening/Pioneer Peak..
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Pati – I grow mine in paint buckets too!
Dyson – Enjoy that new camera! I’m still learning settings on mine.
Kiska- Beautiful rainbow pic! Can I save it?
Deb – Sneaky morning glory – and very pretty!
Kelli – I’m thinking really long roots for the asters to bloom. Why would you say “there used to be a house here”? Love the pics, especially the hummer nest!
Pepper – Hope you cool off again soon.
Sidney - How did it go at the RU?

Edited to add - Kiska Another beatufil picture! Can I save that one too?!

83.7 °F / 28.7 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 69 °F / 21 °C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 88 °F / 31 °C
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2800 ft / 853 m
Mostly Cloudy 5000 ft / 1524 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 70s. East winds 5 mph shifting to the north after midnight.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2007 7:13 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dyson: Thanks for the explanation. My poor brain still doesn't fully grasp it. Does it depend on the humidity? For ex, if say in summer, the dew point is lower, does that mean the humidity is higher? Or are they not related.
Kelli: Always enjoy your walks. So cool to see a hummmingbird nest!
Pepper: Mid 80s sounds like heaven, doesn't it? Hope they're right. 90s do get old this time of year.
Sharon: Like your wispy sky.
Kiska: B-Utiful!

Deb

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Deb - ever pull a mug out of a freezer, set it down and before you could pour anything into it a heavy frost formed on the outside? (all your finer honky tonks have frosted mugs available). where did the frost come from? even in a "dry" air conditioned room? The glass was below the dew point of the air in the room. Which I believe is dependent on both humidity and ambient temperature. I am not an expert (at dew point (although I may be at honky tonks)) so if someone can correct me please do so.

Kiska, I don't know much about the history of the area. Someone on the 'net says that the pond area used to be an Indian burial ground and that the pond was built in the 1800s for 150+ horses that were raised in the area. I don't know if any of that is true but it certainly could be. Deer tracks were everywhere there was a human trail. The picture was not taken near the pond but there were deer tracks there, also. They had sunk up to their ankles in mud.

Sharon, I think there must have been a house in the area because of the presence of two non-native trees, the remains of a water tank, some sort of engine, and remnants of a paved road. The area is flat and suitable for a house.

Dyson, you've got it. Dew point in action!

(Zone 3b)

Justa quick read/view of photos; love them all.
MySharona - you're very welcome to use them and enjoy the view, too. I love the looks of going into a tunnel of trees-quite pretty.
Thanks, Deb.
Kelli - that makes sense that the deer would use the same trail. Interesting history, too.
Dyson - very easy to understand now as to how dew point occurs. Feeling better?
There's no sign of the sun with this heavy cloud cover; so at sunset tonight, it'll just go quietly.
Sunset: 8:20pm. Temp now at 6pm: 48* - hasn't changed hardly at all today.
Devils Club.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Kiska - do I ever remember Devil's Club, OOOOUCH, and it always grew right where you were bound to loose your footing.

(Zone 3b)

You're right, Dyson. This part of the trail was wet and slippery...be oh so careful:))
Deb- I forgot to mention how "cute" the morning glory is; snuggled in there like that.

Thumbnail by kiska

Well, the RU was great and I came home with 5 new plants.
Maggie is such a great host.
Looks like they are predicting highs in the lower 80s this week.
;)

(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon!

Great photos everyone!

Kiska - beautiful rainbow! I'm surprised you get apples! People are struggling to grow them here with very limited success - but you do get a bit higher summer temperatures than we do - so that's probably what makes the difference.

Debi - beautiful morning glory :-)

Kelli - I always enjoy the photos from your hikes - so interesting and different :-)

It rained all day yesterday and was fairly windy as well - high about 48°F. There was snowfall on high roads and mountains in the south ....... winter is creeping in. Just to be clear - my "finally above 40" comment just applied to Friday morning - not for September as a whole - it's the first time we dip below 50°F this fall. I didn't feel like going outside until it warmed up - below 40 is just darn cold! lol Temperature got down to the 30's last night. We could possibly get a freeze tonight - then it's supposed to warm up a bit again .........

Today it's sunny, there was a stiff breeze blowing this morning but the winds have calmed a bit now in the afternoon. Current temperature at 1:30 pm is 43°F. Sunrise was at 6:53 am and sunset at 7:52 pm.

The garden on Friday after I mowed the lawn and cleaned up a bit. I probably wont have to mow the grass again until next spring ;-)

Hope you all have a great day!

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sunny, bright blu skies, 57°(F)

The helicopters are back, each year in the late summer the helos fly through the nooks & crannies of the nearby mountains looking for the illegal stills & fields of illegal crops. They will be here for a week or so and then move on. Where they go next? I don't know/don't care as long as they go so I can sleep in later in the mornings.

Checked UPS tracking, said the camera should be here by Wednesday latest, I have been trying to think of an interesting first photo with it. Interesting enough to be worthy of posting here.

And now (drum roll please) without further hesitation:

Relative Humidity: 60%
Wind: 0° (N) at 0mph
Pressure: 30.36in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 54°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 75°F
Dew Point: 42°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 56°
Wind Chill: 56°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 44°F
6hr High Temp: 52°F

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: I've never heard of Devil's Club. Sounds ominous. :)
Another gorgeous pic of your mountain.
Rann: Your garden looks lovely. Hard to believe it's so cool there!
Dyson: How rude of those choppers, to wake you up! We have a neighbor who likes to mow his lawn at 8 on Sunday morning sometimes. Love that.

Currently 75F.
High 80/Low 61.
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 72 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h / 1.3 m/s from the NE
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph / 9.7 km/h
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 81 °F / 27 °C
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Few 7000 ft / 2133 m

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Deb. The good thing about cool weather is that if you put warm enough clothes on - it's not that bad ......... hence I like cool weather better than hot. There's just no way to be comfortable in excessive heat (which would be above 80 for me ;-) ) What a horribly inconciderate neighbor you have! GEESHHH I don't think I could take that at 8 am on Sunday mornings - I like to sleep in. lol

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Deb - The only legal way too cure a neighbor like that is to:
a) wake him/her up a few times to see if they get the hint or keep them up late so they have to sleep in.
b) If that does not work then borrow a dog that does nothing but bark for a few nights (ear muffs may be required for this approach).
c) Also check your local noise ordnances and see if in fact there are time of day restrictions on loud activities.

65°(F) now, very bright, much brighter than I feel at the moment.

(Zone 5a)

LOL Dyson :-)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I say wake him up a few times. Mow at midnight and make sure the mower is as close to his house as you can get it in your yard.

Weather: Bout the same as yesterday.

(Zone 3b)

Good reading/viewing here, as always....
45*/raining off and on, snowing on the mts...
This morning's Termination Dust ---(Termination of summer).
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Kiska,your pictures are stunning ! You should make a calendar or a wallpaper !

Sharon,yes,Cici is on the right,Alex ,the contractor,is in the middle(he was our Godfather for our silver wedding)and the one who measures is the windows man.

A beautiful sunset in our neighborhood...earlier

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

And later on !

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Beautiful photos Adina and Kiska! :-)

To quote Hildur Eva once again - "It's a beautiful day today. No wind and no rain." :-) It's cloudy, and 40°F at 9:30 am. Last night's low was around 33°F. There is rain in the forcast later today I believe - it's supposed to be another wet week - at least the next 3 days. Then it's supposed to get cold on Thursday - another possible frost in the forcast then :-(

Sharon - I forgot to answer your question earlier regarding the lily I posted a photo of (African Queen). It had never occured to me to smell it - but thanks to your question I did and it has a wonderful fragrance! :-)

Adina - I also forgot to answer your queston regarding the vinca photo - it's flowering now. It's been flowering now and then all summer - since early June I think.

'African Queen' once more ;-)

Have a great day everyone!

Rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.