Got rid of McAfee

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I have an older computer, not huge amounts of memory. For years I used Norton for my security software. Well, that got to where it was slowing my computer down so much with it's memory hogging, I switched a few months ago to McAfee.

Was that ever a mistake! Worst software I ever saw in my life. It slowed everything to a crawl. Just booting up my computer every day would take five minutes while McAfee loaded and despite the fact that I have DSL, you'd have sworn I was on dialup. Horrible. Several times a day it would download updates and slow things down even more. What the heck kind of software has to update itself several times each day?

I still had several months on the McAfee, but last week for the second time it downloaded an update that totally screwed up my ability to go online. Sorry, McAfee but sending emails to everyone with an "oops!" and a fix isn't good enough. I dumped it and downloaded a free version of Avast. I'm double checking with online scans and spyware scans and so far it's doing a fine job.

What a difference! I couldn't believe how much faster my computer is.

If you have an older computer and are having problems with Norton or McAfee you might want to consider switching to a security program that doesn't gobble up every resource on your computer. If you search, there are a few out there.

This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!