Confused about when to prune a Beauty Bush...

Seymour, CT

I am considering the purchase of a Dream Catcher 'Maradco' Beauty Bush (Genus - Kolkwitzia amabilis) and have a question about when to prune it. According to the growing tips for this plant on the Proven Winners web site, it says to renew it, cut it to the ground after flowering. Would I actually do this in the late spring just after flowering though??? Wouldn't that also eliminate any berries that fall? Wouldn't I instead want to prune it to the ground in late winter before new growth starts, the same as you would with a butterfly bush? I live in Zone 6 by the way. Thanks!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi Kurt,

I don't have one but I believe it flowers on old wood - that's why pruning after flowering is recommended so you don't lose the bloom as you would if you did it in late Winter. But yes, if you prune it after flowering you will lose the berries from those branches. Gotta give up something!

Seymour, CT

Thanks for your reply. I think I may have also confused a Beauty Berry bush that I saw in person with fall golden foliage and purple berries with a 'Maradco' Beauty Bush that I saw online, which I guess does not have berries. But it is good to know now when I do get one of these.

You're welcome. I have a number of Beauty Berries (Callicarpa) - they're wonderful this time of year. Electric purple berries.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Victor - when and how do you prune your Callicarpa? I was given one, kept it in the garage over winter since I didn't get to planting it, thought it died but planted it anyhow and it sprang into life. A neighbor has one at about 12' tall and she doesn't cut it to the ground, barely prunes it at all. I'd like it to get big but not like the giant butterfly bush I had in that spot and removed last December.

You don't have to prune but it can get leggy looking. In that case, you prune in late Winter. Flowers on new wood.

Thanks. Then the pruning is similar to Butterfly Bushes. I appreciate your help.

Yes, but I never cut it all the way back like I do with BB's.

We went down to a few inches with some of the BB's and still they grew too tall. The base of them also got very woody - almost like a young (ugly) tree.

Yes it doesn't affect the ultimate height of established plants but it does eliminate the bare bottom. Nice on a baby, not on a shrub.

True!

Also nice on CZJ, of course.

VICTOR!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.