Raining like crazy!!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

The rain was coming down so heavy that I could barely make out my greenhouse at the end of the yard. It rained 1¾ inches in 30 minutes!

How'd you do Deb?

X

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I'm jealous, not a drop one in our area.

Lavina

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

We had a few drops earlier. Right now the thunder and lightening is really something but the sky is blue and while someone is getting walloped, it ain't us.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Seriously Lavina, this has been brutal, I think we got a 1/4 inch last month and that's it...nothing in Sept so far. I didn't water for 2 days--that was all---and half my yard was crisping around the edges. NC has suffered severely this year, I feel really bad for farmers.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

The bad thing about this rain for me is that my lawn mower is in the shop and won't be ready for another week. By the time I get it back I'm going to have to bag the next cut because the grass will be so high.

X

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

yep, green with envy...grass is brown around here...trees look like they're next

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

My grass turned brown too in August .. actually everything just kind of crisped away. I was amazed at how fast things turned around when it did start raining.

X

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, I'm gonna borrow a line from Tom Waits--"I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again. Make it Rain!"

I've spent half my summer with the durn garden hose

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

me too, Tropicanna! In fact, I rescued a small kitten early this summer, and after I got her tame enough to go outside some, all she has seen is me with a hose in my hand. She follows me around and loves to run under the water from the hose-she has scared a few people standing there talking to me when she darts out and then back into the jungle of pots. She also loves running thru the sprinkler...
I am so tired of watering, and seeing all the plants that I have let go drying up and dying. I have never seen a drought like this here. It has been going on since May. We are supposed to get rain tomorrow..but I am scared to believe it. My heart has been crushed too many times this summer!! lol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

That's so funny, my kitten does the same thing....she digs being sprayed in this heat. I'm probably repeating myself but I even got heat exhaustion once (Ist time ever, I'm native and should be acclimated)when were were having those days over 100..was watering of curse...had already soaked myself completely but apparently it wasn't enough

I'm not believing rain until I can go play in it! lol

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

We got a very nice amount of rain yesterday.Good weather prediction for the next 3 days but who knows.

The status of all South Carolina counties (except 2)was raised last week from moderate drought to severe drought.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

lol...I'm gonna keep complainin' until it rains...we're in severe---is that worse than extreme or the same?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi guys:
X: My house also got about 1 3/4" in that downpour yesterday afternoon! And the clouds look promising today. What's sad though, is a day after a rain like that, everything's dry again. No ground water there. "Humberto" is headed this way though and the weather channel says he's gonna dump rain all across the south east! So good news for you NC folks, Tropicanna! :)
Deb

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

THundering now - good sign. :)
Deb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here too .. just little sprinkles at the moment.

X

After going over 2 months last spring without a drop - I am blessed to live in one of the SC counties that is only in a moderate drought.
Lot's of thunder and lightening again today but no rain yet.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

3/4" yesterday... light rain today

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Another downpour, just now slowed down. (yay!) Looks like about an inch. Ahhhh.
This is how summer was supposed to be: a nice late afternoon t-shower every couple of days. So now that it's Sept., here's our 'summer pattern". :) Go figure.
Deb

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Back to back rain down here. Lots yesterday and a light rain today hope it keeps up for a few more days. The problem I'm having around me is it rains like crazy for a day then nothing for two weeks. It's basicly been like that all summer. If it would just even out for a while we would be fine.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

i hear you! but we'll take what we can get.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yea!! We are finally getting the start of our first rain in ages ... I hope it lasts!!!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

WOOOOOHOOOOO! I won't have to water this evening!

now if it wil keep on for about a week or so...lol...yeah, right, it would take a month to get caught up

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

You might want to take a garden fork and poke holes in the ground around your garden so you get better saturation and not run off.

X

That is a great idea X!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Ardesia .. my home is on a ever so slight slope and it pained me to see ground so dry that when it rained all it did was run off so in desperation I poked holes everywhere and was delighted to see some of it sinking in!

X

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

still dry here :( but at least it is cloudy and I'm not having to water...so far. If the sun comes out, i'm in trouble. I am glad that you guys are finally getting some.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

So far it's been a tease ... only enough to get the ground wet and has stopped now. Bummer.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

the forecast is for rain for the triangle, and for the life of me, I can't see where this rain is supposed to come from. The radar is clearly showing all this rain going to the west of us. Anyone know where the rain is coming from this evening? I know they went from a 90% to 60% already for tonight...I think I am obsessed.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

It started raining again, day three. Nice.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

yep.... ruined plans of going to BHS game, even though i no longer attend it. oh well, we're makig up or deficit

Raleigh, NC

Lavinae--Surely, you got rain last night, finally?? I hope so....Isn't it lovely???? The neighborhood kids and my son ran out and played in it for hours, just like a Norman Rockwell painting! They were so ecstatic to see rain, be cool, and not get eaten by mosquitoes for a brief period...Supposed to be nice all week.....aaahhhhhh....!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Alright! NC gets rain!

We got about 1/2" over night. I spent this morning transplanting, dividing, weeding, and just generaly clearing out all the stuff I'd let go. Looks better now. :)
Deb

brrr it's a little cold for me today.. but I will take it :))) had to turn off my AC this morning. :)

rebecca30

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Nice & cool here too .. turned off my AC as well! Won't be long til I break out the microplush sheets!

These things are awesome! Like sleeping on fleece!

http://www.domestications.com/ProductS.asp?product=G19015x&deptid=10000&sid=46EC72006BDFE17F&Ntt=micro+plush&Image2.x=0&N=0&MSCSTC=Domestications&issearch=1&R=19015B%5FQ%5F80&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Image2.y=0&dept_id=10102

Makes flannel sheets feel like sandpaper.

X

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

It's 68 this morning, will be in the mid-80s later. That's the range predicted for the week. October will bring a big shift and we'll be turning on the heat.

X -- Those sheets look awesomely comfortable and I think I'll order some. How do they hold up to machine washing? There's nothing worse than a "pilly" sheet rubbing on you.

June
(Wannabe Carolinian)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They wash really well and they are sooooooooo warm and soft and comforable! Last year because of these sheets I didn't have to use my electric blanket as much or on as high.

X

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I think I need a pair of them too! Thanks for showing us them.....makes me want to be back in bed with them right now! My fingers are actually cold this am from working outside and I have on sweat pants and sweatshirt-who would have thought that a week ago?? lol

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Beautiful this morning! Sat on the porch and read the paper. Nice and cool and a little breezy. Only up to 75 now and seems less humid, too. Ahhh. If it'd just stay like this. (No colder, thank you.) :)

Guess I'll have to water today.
Deb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol .. you wish and I wish Deb!

X

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

DH's birthday is in October and he will be getting a set of those sheets. We don't choose to use electric blankets and at least getting between those comfy sheets will be much nicer than the ice-cold percale ones. Of course, getting him OUT of bed will be much more difficult!

X -- Once again, thanks for the link.

June

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.