Please post photos of your 'Confetti Dancer' JI

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I went by the photo of 'Confetti Dancer' on the Aitkens site and now see it pictured quite differently. I'd love to see your photos of it and please tell me the actual height. When they say 36 - 42" it's of no help as I'm planting a new bed and don't want a 36" behind a taller one.

Thank you!

This is a photo from Aitkens.

Thumbnail by pirl

Here's 'Confetti Dancer' as pictured by Ensata.

I realize the irises will grow according to the soil, moisture, etc. but an accurate height would please me endlessly. Maybe a bit OC?

Thumbnail by pirl

Hmmmmmm.............I guess nobody has it or else hasn't had it bloom.

(Zone 5b)

Hi pirl- Nope, I don't have it either, but it sure is pretty! I hate to say that the 2nd photo looks like someone took a butane torch to it, though...is that typical that it looks "melted" like that?

Thank you for responding: I was feeling quite lonely.

The second photo seems to fit the description I found by Bauer/Coble much more than the first one but the first one is why I ordered three of them! "Marbled" is the description. Very disappointing if that's the true photo.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

From the Japanese Iris register:

Confetti Dancer: Reid, Lorena Reg. 1997 90J22-2F 36-42in M 6 Light ground marbled violet and purple, light halo and rays around gold signal; style arms violet, light at center; ruffled Peacock X Harlequinesque.

Pirl, you might email the Aitkens and ask about that picture. Do they think it is representative of the cultivar? To me it looks like one of those random aberations where the pattern doesn't come out symmetrical. As far as height goes, you should ask the vendor ( Ensata is good at answering these questions) for recommendations for genetically short (or tall) JIs. The thing about JIs is their height may depend a lot on how well they are cultivated.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How about contacting Lorena Reid?

It looks like she is still hybridizing. Here's some pics taken last year at her garden.

http://www.aisregion14.org/2006-Reid.html

I'll email you the address I found for her.

Thank you, pardalinum. I will write to Aitkens. They are most helpful and very nice.

Thanks, Polly. We cross posted. I'll write to Lorena Reid first and post anything I find out about it.

I'm also trying to find out the height for 'Red Tessa' and it doesn't appear at Aitkens, Ensata or Iris City Gardens. Can anyone please tell me what site you check to find out this type of information? I have printed out the 105 pages of the Cumulative Check List of Japanese Irises but mine is dated 2003 and it doesn't appear on that list.

Is the Eureka Guide helpful/useful in buying JI's?

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

pollyk is there a local JI society for us central NYers? I definately need to join one.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Photo here, looks a lot more like the second one
http://rivergategardens.com/japaneseris.html

Thanks, hart. Looks like Aitkens has the wrong photo.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Mittsy, I may be wrong, but I don't think there are any regional JI societies. A lot of good info comes from joining the JI society, however.

Our local regional AIS holds a lot of meetings in the Rochester area, but is not very strong in the Syracuse area. But again, well worth joining.

Thank you Polly. I read on the Phoenix Flower Farm's web page that if you join the AIS through them, they will give you a $10.00 gift certificate and a selection of plants. I have a birthday coming in December so am going to ask my daughter to give me this instead of her usual fresh flowers.

I want to have a garden like Pirls.

Mittsy

Thanks, mittsy. I created a new JI area by moving out 19 daylilies that I had just replanted last month so it wasn't much of a job but then I had to find a new home for those daylilies so I moved some hosta............ we all know the thrill of Domino planting.

pirl, dh wants to know if you live by greenport? He grew up on long island (Riverhead).

Riverhead is where we do all our shopping and where a few of our doctors are. Yes, we are "the" Southold about 7 miles west of Greenport. That town/village has changed so much. It's now a thriving, beautiful place with lots of great restaurants and, yes, the Arcade 5 and 10 cent store is still there, under new management.

DH worked in Greenport on a charter boat. He cut bait and rigged lines as a lad. Wonderful memories. His mother worked for a lawyer who lived in a mansion in Southold. Childhood memories, fun to reminisce.

Mansion? What street?

He doesn't remember the name of the street but the lawyers name was (Ii spelled it like how I thought it sounded., this was back in the 50's)Lafranier.

I'll ask around but the name isn't familiar as a lawyer but it was a long time ago.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.