Canna Seeds Available

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Everyone was so helpful when I started planting cannas last year. I have my first seeds and absolutely no place Ieft I can plant any more. I am offering these to fellow DG'ers. Right now, I have 2 different ones but they are mixed because they are so similar.. same height and bloom color. The humming birds love them. I will send about 10 seeds to each requesting.. right now I have between 60 and 70 seeds I think and will harvest more in a few weeks.

Fist pic is the main canna bed showing all three I have seeds from. The only ones that produce seeds for me are the spiky species type blooms. The red ones on the right and and far left behind the yellow and orange blooms... and the very tall yellow and red spiky blooms are the ones producing seeds.

I have mostly from the right red ones and a few from the similar reddish orange ones.. about 4 to 5 ft tall. There are probably about 6 seeds from the tall yellow one I call my San Antonio river canna since Rita dug them up from along the San Antonio River last year.

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

Here is a close up of the front red ones... I watched the humming birds fight over them this morning. Most of the seeds are from this group.

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

Here is the other reddish orange bloom. It looks like a smouldering fire to me with the sort of color change in the middle so I know it is different from the first one but the plants look alike and grow to the same height. A few of the mixed seeds are from these.

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

And here is the bloom from the very tall 7+ ft San Antonio River Cannas.. sorry it is a blurry.. had to hold the camera high and there is a breeze blowing. I love these.. the color really makes me think of a candle flame and they grow well. These are also hummingbird magnets. There are about 6 seeds from this plant mixed in with the others. I realized I was mixing them a little too late. I plan to harvest and keep separate more seeds from these later .. several good looking seed pods on them right now but still green.

Thumbnail by LhasaLover
(Jan) So Milw, WI(Zone 5b)

Tammy,

I would be very interested in obtaining some of the seeds of your "San Antonio River" Cannas when you get more from the ripening pods. Could you keep me in mind???

Thanks!!!
Jan

Sure will! I don't know how many I will have but if I don't have many, I am confident that next spring I will have small plants or rhyzomes to share. She has multiplied well this year. Isn't it beautiful?!

Send me a D-mail with your address so I can keep your information to send seeds when they are ready.

Tammie

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Tammie, we were just saying we missed you on the canna thread, when you're not too busy, come play :)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Tammie, those are all just beautiful! Love the really tall San Antonio one....I planted Omega for the first time this year...no blooms but it is getting some height on it for me...I would love to have a variety of seed if you have some to share. I am in the exchange...if you are looking for a trade, let me know and I will be happy to trade as well....or send you postage...
Janet

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Tammie, I would love to try some canna seeds. I don't have anything to trade at this time---can I send postage instead?

Sharon

No postage necessary for seeds.. costs as much to send it. I received a lot of nice things when I started my garden last year.. time for me to begin to pay it forward.

Please D-Mail me name and addres with canna seeds in the subject line. Let me know what you want and I will send them.

Tammie

This message was edited Sep 13, 2007 4:45 PM

Good news... I just got 16 seeds from the San Antonio river cannas.. for the biggest ones I have, they are the smallest seeds. Dropped one in the flowerbed. like i need another canna growing in there next year.. that bed is going to need some major thinning in the spring.

Tammie

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Tammie, Any chance I can get on the waiting list for some of your thinning(San Antonio river cannas) ,in Spring I'm not the greatest with seeds LoL,I have several cannas that I can offer in trade,
Pheadra

Pheadra .. and anyone else.. send me a d-mail with the canna you are interested in as teh subject and I will save it for spring... I will definitely be thinning this bed in the spring.. including the tall cannas to the right of the san antonio river ones.. am not sure of their name but they have dark leaves with green between the veins.. leaves turn more green as they mature but young leaves are bronze.

Tammie

this is a pic of them when they were little.. they are as tall as the fence now.

Thumbnail by LhasaLover
Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

I would love to try growing them from seed i just moved to pensacol and am excited.

James

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi if you have any San Antonio left I would like to trade for some. Let me know..

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Hello,

I do not have any cannas or I would love to trade with you.

James

De Soto, MO

I know it's late but if you get anymore I would love to have some. Color and size don't matter.
June

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

id like some

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

If you have any seeds left, I would love to have some! Thanks!

Midland, TX

Hi LhasaLover - Are you going to have more Canna seeds this fall? I love your pictures and plan to plant Cannas this year! Thanks,

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm a newbie, so I'll ask the dumb question of the day :) Where are the seeds? I thought cannas were tubers/bulbs. Are they both??

So much to learn!

I have some of the tall reds (not sure of the name though).. they bloomed like crazy and multiplied from 2 tubers given to me to around 8-10 plants..

My cannas unfortunately did not do very well this year.. it was way too hot and dry the first part of the year and they just cooked. Did not grow very tall at all and burned. I do have a packet of mixed seeds left over from last year.. don't know which ones they came from though.

Tammie

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Mine did not fair well either Tammie. But I do have some blooming right now. I am debating whether to dig mine and plant them a little deeper or mulch then a little more because of the drought and heat...I sure did miss the blooms this year! Wonder what would help our problem!

Just need a better year. More rain and less hear. I just cooked the leaves this year and stunted their growth. They looked virused except the leaves were all cooked from the edges inward on mine. Our water was also very alkaline. Hoping they do better next year. They are already looking better since we have had rain and it is cooler but too late now. I even have a few nice blooms.... but they are sooo SHORT! LOL

Tammie

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yep, same here. Oh, well, we make plans and God laughs! I do have a few mums that are looking good now too...maybe if we have and extended Fall we will enjoy more blooms on our Cannas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.