My first attempt at grafting

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

I picked up a nice Violet Adenium in Thailand last year, and haven't found a similar one through any of my contacts, so I thought this would be a good candidate for my first try at grafting.

As you can see, it's a little off center, as I'd tried to graft 2 scions into the one cut. Fortunately one of them took, and is doing well. This was grafted in the end of June, so this is about 10 weeks later.

Chris

Thumbnail by BuriedTreasures
Yardley, PA

That graft looks great! Nice job. I am now dying to try it but I think I should probably wait until spring. Are you doing any now?

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm going to do a few more, but I can get away with it here. I think it's a bit late in PA, without the proper facilitires, but Maelstrom may be able to give you some better infor for your area.

Chris

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

That graft looks excellent Chris.
In about 2 or 3 years it wont even show.
Nice work pal. ;)

If the caudex is still in growth mode it can be done with special provisions.
I have done them in January in my lab wuahahahaaa...
Maybe Ill get to do a grafting seminar / class someday for the cactus society group.
That would be kool!

This message was edited Sep 12, 2007 12:30 AM

Yardley, PA

Malestrom - You MUST do the seminar. That is a great idea. I bet everyone would love it.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh my gosh, Chris.
I love that one. I love that color. Is that really the color it is or did the camera alter it. If that is the correct color, I need it.

need need need
Im next in line!!! ;p

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Hehe. That truly is the color. I'm going to continue taking grafts from this one. I'm now up to two. I should have a dozen or so next year, and will offer them to a select few, until I build some serious stock up and can get a nice collection of them to offer.

I've also sent it to Ashish, to see if he has something similar, but I haven't seen one on his site. It has a nice habit, great branching, and extremely floriferous. There are at least another dozen buds waiting to open. You're both on the list to have one in 2008.

Chris

Yardley, PA

I hope that we will be some of the selected few???!!! Please, please, please.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Can I get in on this "we" bit as part of the selected few? Purty, Purty Please!!

Larry

And the line begins. ;)

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Man. I should have made that a private D-Mail.

;-)

Chris

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

When this one finishes this blooming cycle it will be time to make some cuts. I should be able to get 4 scions from each branch. I'll leave an inch on each above the Y.

Chris

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hehe - well, I DID say I was going to wait on Adeniums - however...can I be part of the list??????

Yardley, PA

Chris, your in deep do-do now! lol

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Please, please, PLEASE, put me on the list, Chris! It's absolutely gorgeous! I'm going to want a Canary Bird, too, when you get them in next year.

RUUUUN FOOOOREEEEST RUUUUUNNNN!!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Is this the "Siam Violet" adenium? hmm..I'm interested in buying one too...LOL:) I have the yellow adenium and I really want to try to cros pollinate the yellow and purple one......I'm so very curious about what I will get if I cross pollinate them...hehe

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Boy, that is nice. Need one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.