Idiot needs Instruction, please.

(Zone 5b)

How do I read this? Thank you!

McALLISTER, 2007, 19", M, OGB+, AB S. Creamy white; Style arms are soft yellow; F. Soft yellow; Black signal surrounding lemon yellow B. and coming to a point below the B.. My Joy X I. Calcaria x I Yebrudii v. edgecombii $35.00

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

McAllister hybridized the iris.
The iris was introduced into commerce in 2007.
The bloomstalk reaches an average height of 19".
It blooms midseason relative to other irises of its type.
It is an arilbred (AB) specifically designated as an oncogeliabred with more than 1/2 aril genes (OGB+)
S=Standards (the upper three petals of the bloom)
F=Falls (the lower three petals of the bloom)
The style arms are part of the structure of the inside of the bloom
The signal is the pattern of color in the upper central area of each of the falls
B=Beard (the fuzzy "caterpillar" type feature on the upper central part of each of the falls
It appears that you left out a parenthesis from the parentage of this iris, so I will make the correction as such: My Joy X( I. Calcaria x I Yebrudii v. edgecombii). If this is correct, then ...
My Joy is the name of the cultivar that produced the pod that produced this iris
The pollen parent of this iris is a seedling produced by the breeding of I. Calcaria (pod parent) with I Yebrudii v. edgecombii (pollen parent)
$35.00 is the price of the iris

This message was edited Sep 11, 2007 1:13 PM

(Zone 5b)

Much obliged...some of it I could figure out...some of it (like the OCG+) was totally foreign...thanks again!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Glad to help. BTW, I don't think that was an idiotic question at all. In fact, I think it was an excellent question! I expect there are a lot of folks who don't understand what all the notations in an iris description mean. They were probably just too embarrassed to ask. I'm glad you did.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2007 2:57 PM

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow! I didn't know enough to ask-I understand height, bloom time, X, color (but not the area, particularly, of the flower) and of course, price.

good job, laurief!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

that would be me thanks for the info its all so confusing to me !!
Gloria

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

And arilbred and oncogeliabred? Would you explain what these mean? Is it like Dip and Tet with the Daylilies?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

An arilbred is a hybrid that is bred from a bearded iris and an aril iris. The two primary types of aril irises are oncocyclus (O) and regelia (R). When those two types are bred together, you get an oncogelia (OG). So an OGB+ is an iris that contains oncocyclus, regelia, and bearded genes in a combination that includes more than 1/2 aril genes and less than 1/2 bearded genes. An OGB- would be an iris that contains less than 1/2 aril genes and more than 1/2 bearded genes, and an OGB would be 1/2 aril and 1/2 bearded.

Confused yet?

You can read a whole lot more about aril and arilbred irises at this URL:

http://www.arilsociety.org/arilsociety.pl?index

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

oh baby, yeah, I'm confused- laugh. Thanks for the quick version and the link! I've got some studying to do :D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.