First Bloom Ever!

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

On my Uncarina Roeoesliana. Got this plant a little over a year ago. Not nearly as big as the one(s) I've seen in this forum or other places, but still, I'm very thrilled! :o)

Question: did I raise the caudex too soon? Right now it's only about 7" tall, and the caudex is about 1" diameter. Does it have any ill effects (for any caudiciform) if the caudex is raised too early?

Thanks for looking!

Thumbnail by baileykat
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Beoootiful - and interesting question - I had no idea about raising the caudex - looking forward to an answer :-)

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Becky.

I sure hope somebody will have answer to my question.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Awesome!
I dont think it hurts to raise the caudex 1/2 inch per year at that size.
Im guessing by what I know of adeniums

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Very neat, I have raise mines(adeniums) caudex(s) when repotting either in new/old pot. Others that I have are less than a year old.

8)
Larry

Im curious about the pronunciation of the name.
It says Uncarina but the gentleman at the Cactus Society said 'Unicaria'
Anyone?
I should pre qualify him, he used to be the president of the Catus Society of America.

Yardley, PA

Whenever I repot, I raise my caudexes. It has never been a problem.

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Malestrom, Larry, and Sally!

I thought that they'd be better off underground while younger, but they look so much nicer with exposed roots. Now I can have some peace of mind whenever I do that. But the ones that were raised will grow slower, I guess?

Malestrom -- I've always known and heard it to be 'Uncarina'. I wonder what do others think?

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

http://cactus-mall.com/andre/large.html
I found this somewhere or someone gave me the link but it just might help, more info!

8)
Larry

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Great link - good info :-)

I read Marks article some time ago.
I have followed a lot of his advice.

Yardley, PA

If you really want some fast growth on you caudex, the best thing to do is put them right into your garden in soil rich in compost and manure. I tried it for a few summers and the growth was amazing and I mean amazing. Many would triple in size. Most just loved it. Out of 20 or 30 I may have lost 1 or 2. I have roses, so I would plant them right next to them. I water them a lot and the caudexes loved it. My adeniums loved it. I remember posting pictures a few years ago on one of the sites and the plant was masses of flowers.

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Great info! Thanks again Larry & Sally. I'm gonna try to plant some of them in the ground next spring.
It'll be nice if I can jump start the growth on some of them that way.

Sally is that pic still available?
Im a hog for good flower pics. ;)

Yardley, PA

The picture was unfortunately on my old computer that crashed and I hadn't backed up the info. I am going to try it again next year with some of my plants.

I always feel so bad when folks reformat upon a crash
They lose everything
I do information retrieval in seemingly impossible scenarios. ;)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

You're right about planting in a flower bed. I belong to another group and that's what most of them do. Beautiful pic, Sally. I have the same one but no buds yet. I would luv to get the pink one that I've only seen on ebay.

:) Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.