2 New Adenium Arrived

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

Hi. My Adenium arrived today. They're bare rooted and pretty dry.

They've been treated in some type of hormone powder.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I pot them up? Shall I soak the roots first? What sort of compound should I plant it in? You know.. all that sort of stuff.

Oh! I also have a couple of packs of seeds that I need to sprout. Any suggestions on this too?

Look at all the question marks here! ;-)

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Teresa,

No soaking. Pot them in a well draining media, or even cactus mix. Add a layer of rock to the bottom of the pot for added drainage. Water well, and place in full sun. 8 hours of sun per day is ideal. Six is a minimum. Water well, and continure to water when the top of the soil is dry to the touch.

Someone else will have to chime in on the seeds. I don't spend much time with them.

Chris

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

OOOppps Chris. I soaked the Adeniums as I awaited a response. I took them out of the water and will pick up some cactus mix tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi Teresa,

I usualy soak the seeds in warm water for 2-4 hours before I sow them. Also make sure they get enough water for the first 5 days, the medium/soil need to be almost always wet. Put them in warm shady place (between 65-98). If the temperature drop below 65 the germination rate will become really low, sometimes they won't germinate at all. With ideal temperature around 82-95 I usualy get about 70-90% germination rate.They love the warmth. Stop the watering after they have sprouted and have 2 leaves, do not water unless the medium is dry.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2007 7:55 PM

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much for your response, seraphine!

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

I use the same method as seraphine except that I soak 6-8 hours.Do not forget and leave the seeds in soak too long.More than 8 hours will ruin most of them.
I don't pay much attention to those who turn up their nose at seedlings.The blooms are just as pretty as the named varieties.The only difference that I see are that seedlings are MUCH cheaper and they grow faster than grafted ones.The grafted varieties do give you a known bloom.I grow and enjoy both.

Yardley, PA

I don't think anyone is turning up their noses at seedlings. It is just many of us have just so much room so we have to be selective.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

My friend Micah and I both grow seedlings and let them bloom.
Some are nice
Others are bleh... nothing to look at honestly.
If you have a bunch of nice ones graft them into the less desireable ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.