Using Cookie Cutters For Handmade Paper Shapes

Troutdale, OR

I've been playing around with making handmade paper and recycling at the same time. Anyway I found a way to make handmade paper shapes to glue on cards. If you have computer paper and it can have printing on it you can use that. Junk mail is all right as long as it is not slick paper but the quality is not as good. Keep newspapers for paper mache use. (Of course you can use other things like tissue paper, toilet paper, cotton linters, or other fibers you can purchase from a paper making supply place.) Tear paper up in blender and add water. I usually add paper so that blender is half full and add water about 3/4 of the way. Make sure lid is on tight before blending. Blend for about 30 seconds. The pulp should look like oatmeal. Put strainer over a container and place pulp in it. Drain the pulp but do not squeeze out. Place paper towel on work surface (a Formica counter works great and will give you one smooth side) Place an open ended cookie cutter on paper towel and fill with a small amount of pulp. (You do not want the cutter to be filled clear to the top) Then with your fingers push the pulp so the inside of the cutter is completely filled. (The water in the pulp will help) With your fingers press the pulp down until it is compacted. Careful remove the cookie cutter and you should have your shape. At this point I take the palm of my hand and press more water out which also makes the shape flatter and a little larger. After I'm through pressing as much water as I can I carefully peel my shape off the wet paper towel and place it on a dry one to dry. To speed up drying time you can use a fan.

You can add to the blender dried flowers, glitter, thread, small pieces of foil, etc. Left over pulp can be kept either in the refrigerator (for a short time) or in the freezer. If you want to stamp or write on your shape you may need to use sizing. So far using recycled computer paper I've found that 1 tsp of cornstarch added to the blender works. If you are unsure whether your shape will work with ink you can always brush unflavored gelatin which has been dissolved in warm water on your shape and allow it to dry. This may not work with all inks though.

Have fun!

Thumbnail by Myoriah
This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!