Finally made up my mind....

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

since it seems I am much better at keeping Caudiciforms alive than Cacti - I am going to concentrate 100% on "fat plants" - with that being said - I need good suppliers for the more unusual ones that won't break the bank - I just had some fun in a bidding war on e bay - can't keep that up...are Bonsai sellers good resources?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

If you are looking for adeniums, you cant beat Buried-Treasure.net and Snowbeltadeniums.com
Both are great and deliver a great plant for a great price. That is the only fat plants that I grow.

Gilmer, TX

I second rylaff's recommendations. Both have great plants and I now have fifteen babies I grew from seeds ordered from Snowbelt.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Hi Becky,
Also try:
http://myworld.ebay.com/african-plants/
This man travels the world discovering new species every year.
He makes some really neat starter size caudicaforms available.
The auctions are hot.
I love the caudicaforms also
I love my adeniums to crazy.
Plumies too but they are sooo big lol!!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Becky, if Malestrom's link doesn't work, try this one. Right now, they have none for sale, sales normally start on a Friday and run the weekend. Beware, you can SPEND some money, here. LOL There are some very nice plants here!

8)
Larry

My baddy, here. sorry Michael!

This message was edited Sep 10, 2007 3:03 PM

Did my link come up as dead for you Senlarrs?
I copied it from ebay after I signed out so it wouldnt be a link from 'my e-bay'
Just curious ;)

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Becky!
Have you checked out Great Petaluma Desert -- http://www.gpdesert.com/ ? They have unusual ones. I've ordered from them only once, but from my understanding whatever is in the picture from the 'New Releases' tab is the one you'll get, they are well mature plants, too.
I've pretty good experience finding them on Ebay as well.

PS: I'm sure 'TE' will have lots of recommendation for you.. LOL.

This message was edited Sep 10, 2007 11:34 AM

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL - yes, I was waiting for TE to pipe in - she is normally a wealth of info - I have checked GP and I am already drooling - It was auctions at "africa-plants" I went ballistic on last nite - I should have quite the haul coming from them :-)
I am also getting plants from Highland, Shoal Creek and Arid Lands - I am concentrating on the non-adeniums first

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Michael, your link came back as the feedback for that seller in something called MyWorld, but Larry's link took me directly to that seller, but now his link is gone.

Edited to add: here is the link again, but the seller doesn't have anything for sale right now: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZafrican-plants

This message was edited Sep 10, 2007 5:35 PM

Yardley, PA

A great source is:

http://www.cactus-mall.com/nurseryusa.html

You can go down the list and find great suppliers. A great one to start with is Bob Smoley's. He has a lot as reasonable prices.

Yardley, PA

I have gotten some great stuff at good prices from this seller.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtayloredshoes

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

No kidding - he has great ones - :) Thanks to all :)

Dangit Sally!!
Now im looking for more heh... ;p
Nice links thank you much.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL - enablers are great ain't they??!!

So, I have 32 plants coming - I just counted - ouch - can we say I had to order more pots too! (Joe Bonsai has great pots) I think I let my ebay bidding finger, "oh I need that one" and "can't do without" got the better of me - but, now all I need is some soil and I am good to go - like I said - I am concentrating on non-adeniums for now - I already have some already and a "few" fat-plants - so now I am going for the big guys! :-)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Here are some of my "haves" - in their "summerhouse"

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

My favorite find -

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

32??? WOW!
Will you post pics of your new loot, pretty please? Your collection is looking good!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Bec,
I see a madagascar palm on one of those shelves. I got a small one this spring and have to repot it twice already. I cant believe how fast it has grown. I love that one.

Nice collection Becky ;)
The Pachypodium Lamerii do grow fast!
They love to eat and drink!
I stopped potting mine up.
I root prune it now in hopes it wont pass 4 foot
Shes pushing 3 foot rapidly.
I think handling may become a problem :/
in 3 years it went from 6 inches to almost 3 foot.
They are great to look at, plenty of character.
I worry each time I have to move it ^^

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL - move it - oh no - I'll have hubby move the larger ones when the time comes to go back inside - this is Oscar (pic from last year) - he was my "first" - grown a tad bit larger and has a baby! :-) It is thanks to him I am so nuts about Pachypodiums :-)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va

I would love to have a Pachypodium, but I keep a picture to remind me of why I don't have one -- they get big!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

LOLOLOL - ooooops

Ive seen that photo before and always wondered how smart it is to put one near a high foot traffic area?
Id hate for the kids to come running out the door and find it accidentally ya kno?

Yeah, that's the second reason that I don't have one. I know I would find a way to hurt myself on those thorns daily.

Yardley, PA

There are many Pachypodiums that you can get that stay a nice size. I am more careful now. I bought a Uncarina once that turned into a 6 foot tree in 2 summers. I sold it on ebay. I have learned to investigate a little before I buy.
Wow, 32 plants. I guess you can keep most of yours outdoors all year long.
That would be awesome. I am already planning the return indoors with 200 plants and some have doubled in size. This is going to be interesting.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh no Sally - I am in zone 7 as well - gets much too cold for them to be happy - I have a lighted rack inside for them!

Yardley, PA

It sounds like you will be onto rack #2 soon ! I am up to rack #6 and will probably need another one when I bring them in. Luckily my husband is great about my addiction.

Isnt that the truth?
My wife appreciates that my hobby keeps me here at home.
Im not at the bar (often ;p) or getting into trouble.
Im ussualy out in the little yard gardening or fishing at the creek.
This year I have to bring over 400 plants inside.
Many are good size like 4 foot plumerias.
The rest 'should' fit on my rack heh..
Now... how to avoid the spider mites and mealies this winter? ;p

Yardley, PA

I am sure the winter bugs will be a big source of discussion Isn't it amazing that outside there never seems to be a problem.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2007 10:53 AM

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

error

This message was edited Sep 12, 2007 8:54 AM

This message was edited Sep 12, 2007 10:03 AM

Heres a pic of my smaller Pachy,
Still quite manageable and doing the gnarly root thing I so love ;)

Doh I hate that....
Too quick on the send button lol!
Here she is

Thumbnail by Malestrom
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Beooootiful - she looks just like Oscar - :)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

First lot of the Pachys came today from "africa-plants" - I am thrilled, with the plant, delivery and shipping!!!!!! Will take pix

Yardley, PA

That is neat. I have bought a number of their plants recently.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I just checked out "african-plants" on Ebay, and WOW what a selection! Is anyone bidding?

Decatur, GA

jlp222,
I have gotten too many plants from african-plants... meaning I am weak and can't help myself. ;-)
Their plants are really good. Always arrive healthy and well packed. The only thing for me was to learn my lesson about some of the touchy Euphorbia. I have lost quit a few. Their small caudiciforms are great.
Good luck bidding.
Helen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.