Help with lawn

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I have looked - but there doesn't seem to be a forum that deals specifically with lawns. Did I miss something?

Meanwhile, David (aka DH) is rather annoyed because we have this very invasive weed in the lawn - looks like a kind of wild ajuga - except it is green and grows in runners (acutally - maybe more like a creeping jenny - except it does have blue flowers like an ajuga). Anyway, he has tried broadleaf killer, and nothing seems to work. This green monster sets down roots ever 2 inches.

Any suggestions how to get rid of it other than try to dig every last root out of the lawn?

Has anyone tried roundup in a nailpolish bottle? I thought maybe if we just painted some on every so many leaves.

Any ideas?

Michaela (waiting for the pizza to arrive)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Betcha it's this
http://www.turf.msu.edu/docs/turftipsE06.pdf

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

I live in Agawam, MA. My whole lawn is invaded with this weed.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

That's a very good article, Al. Thanks for the link!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No problem Nancy, I sort of do this for a living ;)

I agree with the article on products. I use Momentum FX from Lesco at work, but Gordon's Speed Zone is available to consumers and is good.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Gadzooks and yikes.......this stupid plant is the bane of my gardening existence. It is not as rampant in my lawn as it is my back yard garden. I have stockade fencing but that *&*()^&^)%* weed creeps under from the neighbor's yard and I pull and pull and pull. I did try spraying some roundup right along the perimeter of the fence in one 6 foot section. It slowed down but did not stop. I've even thought of buying some plastic or metal material that I could bang down right into the ground at the fence line. 3 inches above ground , 6 inces below ground.Anyone think that could work??? augghhh!! Thanks for the article Al, I now know my enemy!!

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Seandor, you're right. There's no lawn forum here.. I've put my lawn questions on beginner's landscaping forum.

bigcityal, you do this kinda things for a living... Can you help ID this?? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/740237/ We've tried to kill it repeatedly and nada. It's lot a long deep taproot if we don't manually weed it.. **shudder** My DH had literally pulled out the shovel on some cuz mature ones have roots that does down like a foot or two.. So if you can help, I'd appreciate it.. Thanks.

Lindy

(Zone 4a)

Since we are talking about lawns here - just curious. I have a few patches that seem to die off a bit...nothing major but I was thinking it is because the soil under it isn't very good??? If I were to spread some compost with grass seed over my lawn would it help???

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Lindy - I struck out on identifying that one already. What have you tried to kill it with?

Dawn - so so really, it would probably dry out too fast for the grass to germinate. If it is really thin dry to scruff up to soil and then put some seed down. Compost is fine when mixed in to seeded lawns.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Lindy - looks like Goldenrod to me. I've had plenty.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Al, you are a sweetheart! Thank you so much for the link. David (DD) will be so relieved to find out how to attack this weed.

I owe you :-)

Michaela

DD?????????

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Dearest David?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Sure, Dearest Dave will work - I did mean DH - what can I say? I was working hard in the garden - moving plants, planting Japanese Irises, some new daylilies, (sent by a favourite DG member), and I even planted out 42 flowering cabbages that I grew from seeds! - Well, they are not very big so far - only about 4-5 inches tall - and they don't look all that much like cabbages yet - but if we have a long and mild autumn, they may still have time to grow and change colour.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks BigCityAl. We tried all the lawn weedkillers on the market. Nothing worked.. We've resorted to just pulling by hand and mowing down the ones I missed.

victorgardener, did weed killers work on your goldenrods?? We have them all over the lawn...

I've only had them in clusters so I've pulled by hand.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I have tried Ortho Weed-B-Gon, which says it kills weeds but not grass. Well, it killed some weeds in my lawn and didn't seem to bother others. Unfortunately it didn't touch crabgrass. If your weed has broad leaves it might be worth a try.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Sorry but what does broad leaves mean?? Wide leaves or thick succulent leaves?? We tried the Orth as well as some others and nada.. I'm just hand pulling a patch at a time..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.