I think I go duped.

Yardley, PA

I bought these seeds last winter and they were supposed to be varigated adeniums.
I haven't seen any varigation yet. Would the leave be varigated from the beginning?

This message was edited Sep 8, 2007 6:14 PM

Thumbnail by Sally0
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I could be wrong but I believe that variegated adeniums do not necessarily beget variegated seedlings.

Largo, FL

Sally,
I have to agree with Rylaff. Variegated plants can have both normal and variegated offspring. I think the variegation is caused by a recessive gene so it will not necessarily show up in all the seedlings. Perhaps someone with experience in plant genetics can better answer this for you. I would hope the seller did not intend to deceive you.
Robin

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Variegants are propegated by cutting only.
Seeds may or may not be variegated.
They should grow true to species, obesum, Arabicum, Somalense etc..
The flowers will also be true to the species, not necesarrily the cutting.
Having an unussual flower or variegation from seed is like 1 in 10,000

This message was edited Sep 9, 2007 4:10 PM

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Adenium aren't known to bloom true from seed, which is why grafting is so popular. The seed sellers on Ebay and other sites, aren't always up front about this.

I just took up grafting on my own in the last few months, and my what a relaxing and enjoyable pasttime. My first goal was just getting them to take, and now I'm working on getting the grafts to match, and blend better.

It's getting a bit late in the year, but I'm going to try and do one with 6 varieties on it, in the next few weeks. Picking the six that will compliment each other is going to be the trickiest part.

Chris

Id love to see progressive pictures of that project.
Im planning on doing a circle of 4 flowering variegateds with a cutting of Nila Kaan in the center

Yardley, PA

That is the problem with bargains. The seeds were a cheaper alternative.
Oh well. Thanks for the information.

You have all certainly wetted my appetite in trying to graft. I am definitely going to give that a try. I met Malestrom today at the Phila. Cactus and Suc. Society meeting and he seems to really have it down to a science. Do you just use Saran Wrap for the plastic to wrap the cuts?

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

What a stunning contrast that would be, and a great combination of flowering and non-flowering varieties. I may have to try that as well, if you don't mind me borrowing the idea.

I plan to video these, and will put them on the site, for some how-to's for BT and submit them to Dave, for his new video endeavour.

How long have you benn grafting? Any tips would be appreciated, including the tape. I prefer the plasticky tape, but haven't found a decent source for it. I've been using the grafting tape for trees, but find it a bit harsh for green cuttings.

Do you place a plastic bag or hood over the graft and scion for the first couple of weeks? It really made a difference for me.

Chris

I have only 2 seasons of adenium grafting
I have several years of plumie grafting
I do straight, angle and birds mouth cuts as well as reverse birds mouths.
My adenium grafting needs more time to develop
I have some success and am getting better at it.
I do feel extremely confident at plumie grafting.
For either,
The root stock must be in a growth period and be pushing fluid
High temps are also very important.
Sometimes ill coax the tip with Gibberelic acid to induce growth.
This causes the tip to draw fluid from the root stock.
I do use a plastic bag tied loosely ove the adenium grafts for about 2 or 3 weeks depending on humidity and temps.
I have used electric tape as well as the new breathable adhesive tape
It is important to use slightly older tips and not new green growth for adeniums
Plumies will graft at almost any stage.
One of my prize pieces right now is an adenium Obesum base that I tried to graft to many time with no success.
I then took 2 seedlings that were succumbing to damping off disease and removed them from the rotted section and grafted them into the Obesum Caudex, both took ;)
In a few years theyll look pretty cool im sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.