Uh, wasp's nest?

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Sorry the picture isn't very clear, but I'm not getting to close to this thing. As you can see, it's nestled in a shrub. And, it looks like these are wasps, but what kind? I thought wasps liked building their nests in eaves of roofs, stuff like that.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!!

Thumbnail by indiana_lily
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There are lots of different types of wasps, some build their nests way up high but other don't. Yellow jackets build theirs all the way underground, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if there are other types that build nests in shrubs.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

those look like paper wasps, which ones i don't know. mine nest in shrubs, under eaves, even up in trees. it will be cold soon; you can dispose of it then if you want.

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Thanks much!
I thought as much, and really, really dislike wasps of any kind. Amazing though, I've all but stuck my face near their nest a gazillion times, and they've not chased me away, so that's a good thing.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

my wasps (they look like yours) aren't aggressive at all, especially this time of year. they get really sluggish and i find a lot of dead or dying ones. unless a nest is in a really bad spot, like a doorway, i would leave it if you can. wasps kill and eat a lot of bad bugs and help to keep the garden in balance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.