Vacuum bag, no; dryer lint yes?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I emptied a vacuum bag into the compost a year or more ago and am still finding occasional disgusting wads of that stuff, I guess all the synthetic fuzz off the carpet makes a big felted non compostable mess.
Dryer lint should be pretty good though? I think the clothes are more natural content, lots of cottons.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

RE: the compost, I'd assume that it would be safe provided that you're not using the dryer sheets or other "chemicals" in the laundry.

But, the thing that I'd be concerned about is not making the lint available to birds as a nesting material. I read on the Audubon site a while back that dryer lint is a big no no for the tweeties. Do you have a closed compost bin?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'll be sure to bury that dryer lint. then. I can just picture the birds getting it stuck in their throats- aack aack
Thanks, w!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

lol - with regard to nesting materials, I pulled this off the web:

"You can set an assortment of nesting materials in a cage-type suet feeder, or hang it from tree-bark in a place where you can watch birds investigate! Make sure you don't set out ANY strings or yarns longer than 6 inches--parents or babies can get tangled or even strangled. And NEVER set out dryer lint for birds! It feels soft and wonderful to us and to birds, but doesn't hold up after a rain. Try this experiment: Take a clump of dryer lint. Get it thoroughly wet and let it dry. Does it crumble or hold together? Does it still feel soft?"

ack ack

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Huh... amazing what you learn on these forums....lol.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.