Oopps! I did it again....

San Antonio, TX

When I should be preparing for winter I have no business buying new plants but this baby really attracted my eye. If anyone has never see it before let me tell u it's very different. The texture of the leaf is weird cuz the markings are almost raised on the leaf and the contrast between the front and the back makes the plant look unreal. It's called Calthea Lancifolia

Thumbnail by Anaid
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

What a lovely looking plant, Anaid! Wait till Tropicman sees this, I am sure he will love it!

Aloha,

Jenny

Wow that is amazing....does not look real.

San Antonio, TX

The markings remind me of mexican pottery when it's glazed. Im overwintering this baby in my own bedroom. Not taking any chances............

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

That is so coool! Now I have another plant to look for! I just love the "different" looking ones! Anybody else growing this beauty? Speak up....I need details! Thanks for posting the picture Anaid!

I oops all the time! ha ha ha

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

THAT is one sexy plant.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

lol

San Antonio, TX

Maybe that's what attracted my attention (u think??? lol)

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Gee, now that you mention it....yep....sexy!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I have one also and love it. I thought I killed it in the cold. All but one leaf fell off. But I waited and then last week two new leaves popped. I didn't know what it was called though.

Our botanical garden here in Naples has a 'Brazilian' theme at the moment and they have every imaginable variety of calathea. They are beautiful but won't work for me (I don't - generally - do shade).

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I may live in the sunny tropics, but I have two HUGE trees in my yarden that cover so much area I am always looking for things that do well in shade. Isn't that weird?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That is an exciting looking plant. I am going to look check out calathea's.. I have a good dose of shade under the canopy in the summer time.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Who sells that puppy?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I just found one similar at tops tropicals...

Is the leaf purple underneath?

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I know a local guy in Birmingham, that has about three or four left. But they are $10 a piece. I can check more into it if anyone is interested.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's not a bad price..I doubt he ships though eh?

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I can check. I'll get phone number for everyone

San Antonio, TX

I'd be interested in getting mine a companion. I cant remember off hand what the place was that I purchased mine with but it was thru mail.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

that is a beautiful plant. i have a similar one from stoke's tropicals. i find it is very picking...lots of shade and doesn't tolerate much heat...which i just can't do well.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Here's the info on the local place, if anyones interested:

Leath Greenhouses, Inc
2449 Old Springville Rd.
Birmingham, Al 35215
205-854-3673 phone, 853-6173 fax

He said he has not shipped before but would be willing to. His name is Wayne. Hope this might help someone.

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

I have a bunch of these in window boxes. I actually have a couple of extras if anyone has anything interesting to trade.

Thumbnail by toy747
South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

I just looked at that picture and it's pretty pathetic. I have had these window boxes for over a year but I had to remove them in Oct. due to construction on our patio. I have had them under some large gingers since then and just put them back this past weekend. They are all in sorry shape but I'm sure they will pick up quickly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.