Iris Ensata (Japanese Iris)

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

CLOSED
All ensatas are sold out.
was at Home Depot and they put all their Japanese Iris on clearance. Regular price $19.99 now $9.99. I was able to pick two I didn't already have, Pink Frost and Shiro Nihonka. These were in large pots and nice big plants, a little root bound but I soaked them in the pond overnight and they went into the garden. I hope I will be able to divide and trade them after next years bloom. Guess now would be a good time to check Loews, too.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2007 2:08 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi neighbor,

Good buy. What Home Depot was that, and do they have any more?

How many JI's do you have, all together?

Glad to see someone close by on the forum. Welcome!

Upstate NY is great JI growing territory. (Not that downstate isn't too).

Hi, right back atcha! It's nice to know someone else is this area is growing these beauties. I have a pond and live at Maple Bay on Oneida Lake. I have the Ensatas ringing my pond. Loads of Yellow Flag Iris, lots of Rising Sun, also have Cry of Rejoice, August Emperor and possible Agogakujyu and Higo.

I f you have a water garden, I have pink water lilies to give away. Also to give away Solomon's Seal and Chinese (purple) Wisteria. Let me know if you'dike to take a drive to visit, I could go to the Home Depot in Cicero and pick up the Ensatas for you if you're going to make it down here.
Mittsy

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Mittsy, thanks so much for the kind offer.

I would love to visit sometime, maybe when the iris are in bloom in the spring? I work on Mondays and Fridays at my daughters dental office in Liverpool, and will stop by the Cicero Home Depot to see what they have left.

We have a pond, also, but most of my Japanese Iris are in my borders. I have a number of JIs, sibs and species iris. Maybe we could do a trade sometime.

There's also a lady here from Martville, and she was looking for someone local to trade with, and talk plants. I'll see if I can find her name.

PollyK,

My sister lives in Liverpool on Tamarack right in the village, are you sure you don't want the beautiful water lilies that are destined for the compost bin? I could get them to her house, no problem. My pond has a rubber liner and all my plants are in dirt in containers, the floaters will not make it through the winter, so I take them out and put in the compost bin, so they won't freeze and rot. I have 6 right now and only two are promised to other ponders. We leave for Florida the first week of October and go to visit or son in Ky for a week then on to our daughters then to Cocoa Beach until May. (snowbirds).

I would be happy to do a trade when we get back in the spring. I love to share my plants, then if and when things go bad, there's a chance you can get some back to start over.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Sorry to interrupt , I am also interested in JI , I do not have any yet. You all must have a really good Home depot and Lowe's up there. Our does not carry any irises at all, not even the TB.

If your Home depot still has the JI , I sure would love to have some of them. I will reimburse you the purchase price , plus postage, plus some extra for your time and trouble.

Sharon

Savagegardener, (Sharon), I recognize your handle from Wandas Iris gift list for newbies.
First off, these plants were so huge and so pot bound, I don't think they would make a good candidate for mailing.
Secondly, I'd be happy to trade with you next spring. Please give me the names of the iris besides Claret Mahoghany that you got from Wanda.
My list of Ensatas: Pink Frost, Shiro Nihonka, Cry of Rejoice, Rising Sun, August Emperor, Pleasant Journey, and possibly two more that I hope will make a comeback, Higo and Agogak/uju.
Mittsy

This message was edited Sep 15, 2007 2:29 PM

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Mittsy,
Have you found homes for your Pink Water Lilie's yet? :)Anita

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

mittsy - you're very fortunate to have found that JI sale!

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Ok that would be fine

I got Autumn Echo, Congratulations, and Claret Mahogany and a potluck IB Iris from Wanda.
I am in the process now of trying to get my stuff put on my DG journal but I have not really started on the Irises yet, I will try to get that finished so you can see what all I might have that you might be interested in - for trade for your JI.

We can hopefully work out a trade for next spring.

Thanks, Sharon

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Ha, I got the last Shiro Nihonka they had, and it's a biggie.

I'd make it a fall destination trip but probably wouldn't get there in time for the sale!

NYVoices99 if you can get to my house before Oct 1st you can have the pink water lilies. I just can't mail anymore this year.

Pirl, I also recognize your name, and would be willing to trade iris with you next year, too.

Savagegardener, got to check the Plantguide pictures and see what beauties you received. This is great it will give me something to look forward to for next year's trade.

Pics are of the two I bought on sale at Home Depot in Cicero.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2007 2:26 PM

Thumbnail by mittsy
Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Mittsy,
Wish I could:( you are like 3 hrs away from me & I don't drive, I don't think it can happen, bummer on my end, I move my pond to a childs pool in my basement for the winter, I would have given them a good home..:)Anita

How many cultivars do you have, mittsy?

I'm sorry Pirl, are you asking about ensatas, siberians or germanicus?

Ensatas.

check post # 3977304 in this thread, I listed the names.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Thanks. I did see that but thought you might have others. Enjoy them all - they're gorgeous.

Thumbnail by pirl

Yours are gorgeous.

My DH taught for many years at the Guild School at the Maine Maritime Academy in Castine. I would shop at the nurseries and gardens on our way up.

Unfortunately we were usually in Maine at the time mine were blooming in NY. So not many good pictures. Then we had a few strange winters where the ground heaved and froze and thawed multiple times and I lost several of my ensatas. I have to train my sister to watch out for that and push them back down when we are being snowbirds.

Thanks. I didn't even know that pushing them back down would work but I also don't have that problem in winter.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Will you look at that pretty picture!

What is the pink in the far left side?

Probably Hatsu Kagami. Pink Lips bloomed earlier.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Just so you know, Mittsy, Higo is not the registered name of a JI, rather it's what they used to call one of the strains of iris, Higo strains, Ise strains, and Edo strains. Most of our modern JIs come from the Edo, and Higo strains. So there is not actually a JI named Higo.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How about the pink flower across the sidewalk, not a JI?

Love Hatsu Kagami!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I want my garden to look just like Pirls. Maybe it will.

Thanks, Polly. That's a nameless rose, at the entrance to the courtyard, that's wonderful if constantly deadheaded but I'd need to move the bed, computer and coffee pot out there to keep up with it.

Thanks Polly, for the info on Higo, when I bought it from Hill Gardens in Palermo Maine, the plant identifier said Higo. I never researched it so now I know that I don't know the name of this one. I never really cared about the official "NAME" until I wanted to trade, now I have this great need to identify everything that I have. It's a sickness! I've got it bad collecting seeds wherever I go. Watching out for plants I don't even want because it's on someone's want list.

Pirl, I'm sure that while I'm visiting my son in KY I will be shopping for more ensatas. I can always plant them in their garden in the fall and dig them up in the spring to bring back to NY. Sounds like a plan.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I never cared about the names either, until I started trading. To me a plant is just as beautiful in my garden if it has a name or not. But for trading purposes I do keep very good track of the names. That includes not only labels, but garden charting as well. Those darn labels can get easily lost. Just ask my 5 year old granddaughter.

Reminds me of the DG iris fancier who had all her irises labelled and then her little four year old grandson came inside with a gift for her - everyone of the labels!

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Mittsy,
Please read my D-mail to you, Need to pay you for postage, Thanks :)Anita

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

With a new dog, I really need to map every bed. I have my first beds mapped but not the newest one. I keep adding thing in there LOL

Take photos, Teresa, and try to use some kind of reference points like left of the azalea or behind this rock or to the right of the rose. Then, in winter, you can make your maps and if done on graph paper (not computer) always use a pencil.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I ALWAYS bury a label under my iris as well as the above ground one. So in the end, I can find the name. Ditto with hostas and lilium. Learntthis the hard way, years ago when I had babies.

inanda

That's a tremendous help.

Thank you inanda. What a great idea, and much easier than the 2 foot metal rods with tag attached that I have resorted to. We have a terrible squirrel problem with their digging and moving or removing things like plant markers..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.